The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

HUMP day - muffled yay!

All kinds of report kerfuffles all day yesterday and already into the early part of today <yawn>. Finance departments should be disqualified form thinking about stuff once they've settled on a process :rtfm::butcher::triniti:

That's about it around here - sh!t-for-brains continues (though more quietly than usual) an assault on the senses and media regarding voter fraud, in spite of todays reporting that at least 45 states official representatives contacted have reported, by BOTH PARTIES representatives, that no documented cases have occurred!

Interestingly, the house and senate REPUBLICANS who have been elected/re-elected, have so far, to a person, not resigned their position given the massive fraud that's supposed to have occurred - seems that if the head TURD was fraudulently voted AGAINST, surely ALL the down-ballot TURDS are also subject to, and therefore fraudulently elected, right?!?! :O

Weather has, as predicted, taken a turn for the "winter". Can't saw "worse" here as it's actually the normal...

-7 first thing retrieving the newspaper, but sunny at least. High expected to make a whopping +1. About 3-4 inches of wet snow overnight.

20201111_snow.jpg.7d9c9a5c10747b24ba945f5f87af49d7.jpg

Carry on.

Without seeing all the figures, one can't be sure. But I would suppose that many people vote in the Presidential election but don't bother with the rest of the ballot paper.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, PeterBB said:

As I understand it the pressure of the gas is provided by electric pumps so potentially gas would also not work.

This isn't the case. Before I retired, I worked in the gas industry, particularly the distribution of gas. Gas pressure is provided purely the gas itself. It is reduced several times before it reaches the house, but electricity failures will not effect gas pressure at all! The worst scenario, would mean its ackward for the engineer doing repairs on a site without electricity, as they'd probably be in working the dark, literally! 

Edited by BSW01
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

This isn't the case. Before I retired, I worked in the gas industry, particularly the distribution of gas. Gas pressure is proved purely the gas itself.  ...snip...

In one book that I read, it was called "rock pressure" which was the pressure at the wellhead.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

In one book that I read, it was called "rock pressure" which was the pressure at the wellhead.

And that could vary tremendously, some fields supplying Bacton were already at 1000psi plus,  others less than 50psi, some needed persuading to restart by back pressuring the field first.. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. They had bread pudding in Tess Coes today, result! There was about a dozen on the shelf when I snaffled mine, half an hour later the shelf was empty. Spent a bit of too much time on eyelid inspection this afternoon so a few things to catch up on, be back later.

• Like 15

Evening all

Been off it all day Dr gave me something for my back and it has reacted with other meds and sleep all day.

When we did have gas hob it wouldn't work if no electricity. You couldnt even turn gas on and light with match.

I do remember back in 1986 1987 ish our neighbour having water coming out of gas hobs. This was due to mining subsidence there was a lot of damage caused to gas and water mains and properties some areas suffered damage on expansion and compression phases.

The way i was shown it worked involved a sponge cake with cream filling (calm down bear and hippo) and gradual removal of the cream filling mimics subsidence.

Some more useless information for you 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Without seeing all the figures, one can't be sure. But I would suppose that many people vote in the Presidential election but don't bother with the rest of the ballot paper.

Apparently "somewhat" true, however popular opinion (nothing more available) is that most folks bother with the front side, where presidential and higher federal and state positions are shown, but seldom flip it over for the more local positions are found. Some local judges, found on said "other side" don't get many votes at all!

• Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Ours does. Only two of us too. Perhaps we are just very messy!

Only two of us as well. And I have to put it on an occasional extra wash such as today to cater for us being in all day & the extra baking this week! 

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Like Polly we have sometimes more than one dishwasher run but our “normal” run is overnight. We have the  Economy 7 electric tariff. The dishwasher is very quiet and doesn’t disturb us. It had its own timer so no messing around with external timer devices. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Dishwashers - they are in fact better than the hand-washing hygienically because in drying the temperature goes up to 80oC  -don't know how to get the 'o' up to the top.  We are on Economy 7 with a good dishwasher with timer like Tony and only do a second run if we have guests so no second runs so far this year!

Strange how 'gas' has gone from domestic pressure to wellhead pressure demonstrating the breadth of expertise in ER.

Took the two minutes silence today - did lose an uncle in WW2 but all older known uncles survived WW1.

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

Good evening!

56 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Ours does. Only two of us too. Perhaps we are just very messy!

Mine does when I wish and there's only one of me!

16 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

Dishwashers - they are in fact better than the hand-washing hygienically because in drying the temperature goes up to 80oC  -don't know how to get the 'o' up to the top.  We are on Economy 7 with a good dishwasher with timer like Tony and only do a second run if we have guests so no second runs so far this year!

Strange how 'gas' has gone from domestic pressure to wellhead pressure demonstrating the breadth of expertise in ER.

Took the two minutes silence today - did lose an uncle in WW2 but all older known uncles survived WW1.

Used to be Alt 248 in DOS but you could try o with superscript formatting.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Easily cured with a transfer switch, either manual or automatic.

Yes but that leaves us open to prosecution for interfering with the legally required circuitry.  Even if it 'interrupts' the mains supply it remains a problem unless you totally isolate the solar panels from the mains supply and if you do that you then lose the FIT (Feed In Tariff).  And the FIT is more than enough to have returned us a very considerable, non-taxable, profit over the years we have had the panels because it is much, much, more than the interest we would have got from the bank on the money we used to pay for the panels.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 11