The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Afternoon all 

Had a busy morning with varous admin tasks. Swmbo went to Morrisons inside for 1.5 hrs due to queuing etc.

We had a gas hob but swapped it for induction when we changed kitchen last year. Our kitchen faces West and when sun shines through window you couldnt see the gas flame .

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

Hermes have struck again we shoukd have had a parcel friday pm. We got an e-mail to say delayed but would still deliver that afternoon. Then at 345 we got an email to say that they tried to deliver but no one in. Now i do know access was blocked to the street due to roadworks at the top of access road to our estate.

We heard nothing yesterday so on chasing delivery its allegedly gone missing. It was a pair of trainers for eldest for xmas they were last pair his size so we have to wait for refund.

Cant help but think someone has been a bit light fingered.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

had a gas hob but swapped it for induction when we changed kitchen last year. Our kitchen faces West and when sun shines through window you couldnt see the gas flame .

A holiday property we rented in France had an induction hob. The controls were difficult to see due to being in sunlight. Ok at night though! Not a problem as there was a nice restaurant very near by.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

We had a gas hob but swapped it for induction when we changed kitchen last year.

Apart from the obvious problem of the invisible gas flame, how do you like the induction hob?

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Without wishing to cause offence to collectors of such, I can't resist observing that as hobbies go, that has to be one of the pottier!

Only beaten by guzunder collecting, I suppose.

There is an organized hobby for barbwire collectors. It seems that over the years it was determined the a sample of at least 18" will have at least two (the minimum required) barbs present. And, no, I do not collect it and do not have any; well, unless there is some somewhere buried in my unexplored woods.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening All,

Hope I haven’t offended anyone (J.S.Bach in particular) with my last post.

Robert

Not at all, I was just curious as to your  "best" comment spoken like you had been there. I only know one person in the UK that collect insulators and is a model railroader (although he models western US!) in HO.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Polybear

Does anyone prefer an induction hob over a gas hob, out of interest?

Absolutely - gas is always a pain apart from its obvious danger.  We used to be gas but it is not available in our village so we went electric and a few years ago replaced with an induction hob.  It has been absolutely superb as we had saucepans etc. that worked with it.  That would be an additional expense bit it is well worth having as control is far better than gas.  Hope that helps.  Peter

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Hermes have struck again we shoukd have had a parcel friday pm. We got an e-mail to say delayed but would still deliver that afternoon. Then at 345 we got an email to say that they tried to deliver but no one in. Now i do know access was blocked to the street due to roadworks at the top of access road to our estate.

We heard nothing yesterday so on chasing delivery its allegedly gone missing. It was a pair of trainers for eldest for xmas they were last pair his size so we have to wait for refund.

Strangely we have had the same problem with the same company of late.  The previous lady was excellent but ... this last few weeks with someone else ...

Edited by PeterBB
spelling correction
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

3 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:angry: Don't talk to me about Herpes  WHOOPS, Hermes, I am waiting for a refund for a none collected item, but can't speak to a Human Being, I'll never deal with them again.:angry::angry:

Now I'm jumping up and down again.:angry:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Just one additional thought from me on the gas vs electric. Where I live we get power cuts from time to time, sometimes lasting the best part of a day.

As we have a gas hob we can at least make a hot meal and boil water for hot drinks without relying on electricity. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, tetsudofan said:

Looking back on what happened yesterday I think I'm very lucky. If that heavy chunk of steel had come down vertically on my head after falling for at least 15 feet I hate to think what could have happened. I might not have known much about it.

Quite some experience. Not at all what you would have expected after offering tea. In my family they would have said something like “good job it hit you on the head, nothing to damage there”. Fortunately Aditi is much nicer than my other relatives. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening. 

Wow Keith - take care my friend.  Sir T-H too, sounds like a work issue that needs dealing with - if it's anything like where I worked (long before Trackshack!) it won't be, just pushed under the carpet.  Mrs NHN once made a bullying complaint, but after investigation it was found to be 'not quite reaching the threshold for action' - the perpetrator is now ruining a different department where they were pushed under the carpet into.  Normal Civil Service result - hide the problem away rather than deal with it.

Odd that Peter BB found induction more controllable than gas - we found the opposite!  Hated the damn thing.  It's in the tip.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Evening, we managed a trip out to our daughters, and got back home in time for the local move to level 3 in the covid scale, we might not see the family for a few weeks now I guess, so glad we went. Re the Gas v Leccy, we had always cooked and heated with Gas, then we bought this place with no mains Gas in the village, we bought a nice Neff outfit, fan oven and hob, wifes got used to it and now prefers the leccy and wouldn't want to go back, our daughter has Gas and and she would like to go leccy too having used ours.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

That's why we have a two burner with grill boat cooker,  ready for emergencies.. 

Just have to remember not to bury it under other stuff kept for emergencies. As happened last time we needed it. 

I note my sisters in Bo'ness reporting that they didn't get shoved up up to level 3, which they were worried they would be as they are surrounded by higher level areas.

Just seen on TV the confirmation of closure of Paxman diesels in Colchester,  sad to see them go.. 

I note however looking it up,  this is TV being on the ball, as it was announced in July and confirmed 5 days ago..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3