The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Bear had a reasonably productive day yesterday:  double glazed unit fitted to window - which was easy if bl00dy heavy, holes around window reveal filled and the bottom window reveal inside the kitchen was built up with mortar.  Whilst I quite like messing with mortar I hate having to mix it up and then clean everything up afterwards; also it's a real lottery guessing how much to mix - yesterday I had to mix a second (very small) batch :angry: cos' the first didn't finish the job; chucking unused stuff away I hate even more though.  All this plus the excitement of doing the washing and changing the sheets on the bed.....

Now I've come round to the idea of having a dishwasher it suddenly dawned on me that it'll be useful if there were a leccy supply for it, as they tend to work better that way apparently.  Fortunately there is an existing supply that was to be used for the cooker hood (and possibly LED downlights under the wall cabinets, but I'm wavering on the need for those...) that can be used for the dishwasher instead.  However, the clever among you may have spotted that this means the cooker hood won't be quite so efficient...  So I need to sort that issue; I do have a possible plan but I have a nasty suspicion that it will involve chasing a slot in the wall in order to re-locate and existing socket :angry:  I'd really hoped that I'd seen off jobs like that because of the mess involved, but it looks like I could be wrong.  Bvgger

Another decision looming is the choice of cooking - gas or leccy.  The current one is a freestanding gas jobbie, but I'm really tempted to go for a leccy induction hob for easy cleaning - and a leccy oven to go with it.  I realise that leccy are more to run, but it only gets used for 45 minutes a day maximum, including warm-up time, so in the grand scale of things is unlikely to be too noticeable.  Fortunately there is an existing leccy cooker supply already wired in;  what to do with the gas connection needs thought (it's a quick detach bayonet jobbie) - some say that leaving the the bayonet as-is is legal & fine, whilst others say that capping off is nicer.  Ponder mode engaged. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

At an early hour it was clearasabell outside.. not now.. thick fatchy pog has returner.

I am off to the sub post office again and need to conrinue to the butchers to place a meat order and get some of their cured bacon.. yummy!

Him over there in the USA is still acting like a spoilt brat ... perhaps someone needs to tweet him " you are fired.. now bu33er off!" ?

Time for my mugatea..TTFN good ERs!

I hope you can stay safe and the all ERs, including a growing number of missing ones, are fine.

Baz

• Like 13
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. ChrisF, I'm interested in your having a guest speaker on Zoom. We are discussing having a guest speaker via Zoom ourselves (SEERS) and I would be interested to know how things went. While I was waiting for the weather report this morning I decided to sort out my 'day out'* bag.  After tidying the contents I spotted a strange looking insect crawling along the top of the bag. It was some sort of beetle about quarter of an inch long but a strange beige colour. I tried to pick it up for a closer look but it fell off the bag and I lost it. *My 'day out' bag is for visiting exhibitions and other events and contains waterproofs/umbrella, tote bags, notebooks and pens, first aid kit, spare glasses and a torch.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, NGT6 1315 said:

Moaning awl. 'Tis right foggy and gloomy outside!

Municipal work crew sweeping up leaves in this quarter, so occasional leaf blower sound is wafting through the ether. They had stacked piles of leaves by the weekend already, though, so only a bit of tidying-up seems to be required yet.

Not a lot else to report as of yet. I do continue to follow the news from across the Atlantic with interest, however.

Be safe, everyone, and ta for now... :bye_mini:

Morning Dom, I suspect I didn’t send congratulations yesterday so congratulations about the news of a sister for Annika next March. 
Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Yes, telegraph, telephone, radio, and power.

Without wishing to cause offence to collectors of such, I can't resist observing that as hobbies go, that has to be one of the pottier! 

Only beaten by guzunder collecting, I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11

On the subject of cookers. We've always had electric until the newest one. Rangemaster gas hob with electric fan ovens. I'll never go back to an electric hob again. Then again, I so rarely use the ovens they still smell new when switched on. I'd say about 80% of my cooking is done outdoors, year round on one of my three bbqs. 

As for the apple puns, all I can say is face-pomme. 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Posted my parcel.. there are some complete eeediots about .. mainly in the older age groups...trying to get past the queue as they are "vulnerable".. try wearing a mask then !  Flippin eck!

Sun was shining .. now its gone very dull... which has been caused by her indoors hanging the washing out...Pah!

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Currently there are patches of blue in the sky among the clouds and sufficient to patch the trousers of quite a lot of sailors.  But just to keep us on our toes there are some dark clouds out there as well.

No excitement planned for today but I believe the management might require a lift to the Tesco emporium so I might have the far from enviable joy of wandering round the car park fora while as she shops.  If I see more than one train arrival or departure I know she has been in there for at least half an hour, if I see three train arrivals and/or departures I kniw all too well that she's been in there for over an hour.  What I can't understand is why anybody would want to spend more than an hour in Tesco but I am usually told that it's not her fault and it's down to teh long queue for the checkouts.  Maybe they'll reintroduce the wrinklies queue?

On the other and the car park does provide occasional amusement such as halfwits driving round it the wrong way, if idiots who can't park, and the occasional more interesting car such as an Aston Martin, Ferrari or E Type Jag (even if it was one with the V12 engine).

Have a good day one and all and stay safe

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. It was a bit grey this morning but now  there's only a few fluffy white bits. No more news on the scrote but a neighbour who knows the family tells me that his knee injury is a bad one, so bad that at one time the word amputation was mentioned but they think now his leg can be saved. Thats it for now, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 14