The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Congratulations Dom and family.  I was told many years ago it takes a man to make a girl so you'll now be twice the man.

After last night's fist & mog - which reduced visibility to about 150 yards the weather has changed a bit.  So this morning we have the usual thin seasonal mist down in the valley and 'orrible damp drizzly rain up here although currently it seems to be taking a rest.  Only a few fireworks last night and not too near so their catships were not upset apart from Charlie coming charging in from outside when he heard the first explosion but he soon calmed down.  We occasionally get some at Diwali but I think the next excuse is going to be the end of Lockdown 2 and then there will be usual Christmas period series of explosions by those who are too impatient to wait for New Years Eve.  

One of our sycamores now has the leaves starting to turn and fall but one of the others still has mainly green leaves.  The advice on 'Gardeners Question Time' yesterday was to leave the leaves on the ground as that is good for insects etc (although in my experience it is also very good at killing lawn grass if they stay there for long enough).

Great to hear that the scooter riding scrote met a just end to his activities and broken kneecaps are not the easiest of things to heal so he might be recognisable by the way he walks for some time to come.  No doubt it will all be somebody else's fault and regrettably his fate is unlikely to serve as an example to others of similar habits.

Have a good day folks and stay safe.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

But what do the numbers in that article mean?  In one place the trial involved 43,000 people.  But it then goes on to say  that so far 94 people in the trial  have become infected with Cov19 (which is three times more than expected) but the analysis shows that 90% had not received the vaccine.  90% of which number - 43,000 or 90% of the 94 who have become infected?   It then says that implies that no more than 8 people (out of 94) had received the vaccine which is a nonsense if you compare that with the statement that the vaccine is 90% effective.    What they don't report is the number of people in that group of 94 who had received the vaccine and the number who hadn't received the vaccine - surely only that data would give a theoretical effectiveness figure for the vaccine, albeit from a very small sample

Looks like they need to hire John Coombe Barton (probably at the Guarniad?) to present their numbers for them.  

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But what do the numbers in that article mean?  In one place the trial involved 43,000 people.  But it then goes on to say  that so far 94 people in the trial  have become infected with Cov19 (which is three times more than expected) but the analysis shows that 90% had not received the vaccine.  90% of which number - 43,000 or 90% of the 94 who have become infected?   It then says that implies that no more than 8 people (out of 94) had received the vaccine which is a nonsense if you compare that with the statement that the vaccine is 90% effective.    What they don't report is the number of people in that group of 94 who had received the vaccine and the number who hadn't received the vaccine - surely only that data would give a theoretical effectiveness figure for the vaccine, albeit from a very small sample

Looks like they need to hire John Coombe Barton (probably at the Guarniad?) to present their numbers for them.  

Bear is sceptical also; mention of applying for an "emergency licence" sounds worrying - does this mean that some safeguards will be missed?

• Like 10

21 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But what do the numbers in that article mean?...

It's, quite frankly, crappy reporting. I'm currently working so I have no time to clarify the material. But trust me, as badly reported as the findings are, it is good news!

Back later

iD

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear is sceptical also; mention of applying for an "emergency licence" sounds worrying - does this mean that some safeguards will be missed?

No - it has previously explained in respect of a British developed vaccine that the process will be 'telescoped' - meaning shortened.  So no safeguards would be missed it's just that they would be done a lot more quickly than normal (which means less time for potential problems to emerge  - does that impl;y some might be missed?).  So perhaps as you were and chose your own semantics?

But what most of - if not all - the vaccine developers in the west are doing is getting manufacturing underway long in advance of any approval in order to have considerable supplies available if/when their vaccine is approved.  It would of course cost them a lot of money if their particular approach and resultant vaccine isn't approved.

• Like 14

17 hours ago, BoD said:

In the Scouts we went to the local woods for a ‘wide game’  where you were actually encouraged to throw fireworks at each other.  

Ahh, the old "wide game" - any game that can be played in a big field.

Just a shame the few I played, I can't remember what game it actually was!

The only one I can remember involved large boxes.

Two teams split into two, each at opposite corners of a square shape.  Aim of the game is to swap so all team members are on the opposite side from where they started.  The challenge?  A large box over your head and body so you can't see but have to hear your team instead.  May not sound fun but when people are all crashing in the middle and then walking off in the wrong direction or one guy who just bombed it as fast as he could - it really was quite fun!

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

Morning all 

Congrats to Dom and family

Overcast and grey here but the floody bog has gone.

At least the mad scooter rider has got his comeuppance hitting the herpes van. They should have sent him to hospital in it that woukd have been a nice painful journey for him probably going missing in the process.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

What is not stated is how the groups are divided (I doubt 50:50, possibly 1/3 placebo vs 2/3 active? I don't know).

The above should be in the quote box,

There were some placebo to non placebo ratio  figures mentioned in the early stage reports where a small number of volunteers took part , it was closer to your later figure. 
I read through Pfizer’s report too and couldn’t find anything that matched what the Guardian reported. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Went to Tess Coes this afternoon. They've shut off the upstairs (none-food) section but are now allowing people upstairs a few at a time. Problem is they won't allow trolleys upstairs so any large or bulky items cannot be purchased. And they might be in breach of disability discrimination laws.

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Won't prosecute the scooter rider?  I'm guessing no licence, insurance, mot, road traffic offences etc etc.

No wonder people get p1ssed off with law & order.  They should jump on the little b'stard from a great height.

He won't be riding a scooter for a long time if at all. Word is that his knee is pretty badly smashed up and that he'll be in traction for some time. Sad thing is that such prosecutions take time and money and all he will get in the end is a slapped wrist. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

They should have sent him to hospital in it that woukd have been a nice painful journey for him probably going missing in the process.

And then deliver him to A&E by chucking him over a wall into a bush.  Pyrancathus, hopefully....

• Like 6
  • Funny 12