The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Broken Biscuits: I wonder what ever happened to the whole concept of selling on broken biscuits? Whilst improvements in food production technology probably means there is very little wastage, at least in terms of broken biscuits, I think it is a shame if they just throw the broken biscuits away rather than sell them on at a greatly reduced price (I absolutely hate wasting food). It’s probably “an elf and safetee” regulation or something that broken biscuits can no longer be sold to the public.

Broken biscuits are still sold although I don't know where - some sort of discount store?

I only know this as I know a household that always has broken biscuits. Ironically, they are seriously wealthy.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon from somewhere  where it's raining. We had our usual Saturday chat with Emilyband her mums.  Then set off to Angouleme to start buying stuff for the refurbished bathroom.  Young Pamela, the sales person did a brilliant job but was also very attractive. I had the terrible job of following her up and down aisles choosing various things. It's a hard life but someone  has  to do it I suppose.  To fit in with plague restrictions we were purchasing essential items. 

We are now back home having had to stop for a picnic en route. That meant the we passed a fabulous CAKE shop in a picturesque  village called Tuson. It was of course absolutely  essenttial to stop and purchase supplies. Before writing these words I have ensured that Le chasse are out and about and the Hippos and bears are in season along with the more usual Wild Boar and deer.

Robert, very sorry to hear about your loss.

On another tack entirely we wil be raising a glass to our friend and part time neighbour John, who died a year ago today.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

The pink pills worked this morning and i had an additional hours snooze. 

After that I moved a layer of coal bags.. 1/4 ton.. Probably not the best first move after relaxing, when your body isn't ready.. 

Starting on the garage was slow while I recovered,  two shelves were first built, this now has allowed clearance of the floor of the workshop area. Then to my chair,  I need somewhere to sit when my back plays up.  So in the corner,  by the centre post I've built one.. It took some pondering of design due to the centre post intruding. I've used the step in the wall caused by the centre post to form an inset arm / Muggacoffee rest..

Ben is watching husky sled racing on TV.. 

The space under the lift up seat will be the rubbish box,  I just need to find or make  a removable box for inside. 

Ben then took me for the long Walk,  which is still very soggy... 

A little more work was carried out,  then some more coal moved..

I'm now drinking a fizzy drink, a gifted  Spanish white alcoholic drink,  it's been sat on the shelf for years,  but as my back said I'm not reaching the next bottle of red, it will have to do.. 

A stew is slowly cooking,  for the main meal..  but first,  those ocular screens need checking again... 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

very fond of the HHH enema approach to cleaning out the bowel (soapy water:

Pretty certain that technique ceased about 50 years ago here. Modern gastro medics are very concerned about not triggering a heart attack or kidney problems. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

Greetings all from Sidcup which is bight and clear skied and getting a bit cooler.

Thoughts are with Erichill.

today has seen our regular walk, followed by a takeaway coffee from Costa. I have also put petrol in the car and cleared the leaves in the back garden. That’s how it rolls in lockdown 2.0!

A few months ago we had a dying cherry tree cut down; the roots had trailed under the lawn and now we have fantastic fungi at various places doing their stuff. Mrs Lurker wanted to get rid of them but I thought I would leave them!

I had to help Younger Lurker with his Latin homework last night; it is all very new to him  and it is nearly 40 years since I did my O level, but the second declension came back to me surprisingly easily. I am not sure he really grasped how the genitive worked but I doubt I did when I first did it either....

year end is still in full swing at work and is restricting my appearances here.

stay safe

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

The above box should have Lurkers comment about Latin in it. Seems to have disappeared. 

For “something to do” MiL has been relearning Sanskrit. She has a book with a Hindi translation of the Sanskrit text on opposing pages. She said she didn’t do well in Sanskrit studies as the teacher was very unpleasant. MiL is 92 so I suspect has outlived the teacher. Aditi is very fond of Latin grammar. I think she has many happy memories of school Latin. She didn’t take it at A level though. She and her Mum have been known to chat about comparative grammar, things like “how does the ablative work in Sanskrit?”   I thought an ablative was something to do with sandpaper. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Pretty certain that technique ceased about 50 years ago here. Modern gastro medics are very concerned about not triggering a heart attack or kidney problems. 

Most probably, although I would say probably more like 30 than 50 years ago. Certainly, when I was doing my studies that was a not uncommon request by the GI surgeons. All I can say is thank goodness things have moved on from those days

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

We got a message yesterday

Sorry for your loss.  Thoughts with you.

In other news it appears the Blue Team are warming up the corpulent female aria-performer.  

More whizzpoppery going on here.  Much visiting also going on around the block.  We suspect that in one case it has been a birthday but in other cases it is simply students coming, going, mixing as they always do and adopting the attitude of "we all mix anyway so what?"  So what is that they live among - and interact of necessity with - many other non-students some of whom are classed as extremely vulnerable.  With shared paths and common hallways it isn't possible to avoid all contact.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Aditi’s name is a translation in Sanskrit of “being beyond the limitations of space and time”. Her Mum did a lot of reading religious books before choosing her name and liked the word meaning and the religious significance of Aditi in Hindu literature. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium

Condolences to you  and the family Robert.

@iL Dottore.. flavoured crisps..as Tudor had a crisp factory in Peterlee we had lots of flavours... kipper was nice, sausage and beans, tomato sauce, mint sauce, lamb and mint sauce, pickled onion, along with normal flavours.. chicken, beefy, bacon, salted, cheese and onion. Smiths closed the factory down. I won't eat their crisps anymore.

I always laugh when the EU is blamed for things. It has been a convenient way of really saying "can't be bothered" for years..remember the "can't sell non straight bananas" ..a good wheeze for the supermarkets who charged more for bananas.

We buy wonky food from moreasons.nothing wrong with it!

Baz

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Robert, may I offer my thoughts and sympathies to you and yours. Especially so since it was such a lonely passing... :(

I have a feeling this planet will breathe a collective sigh of relief at the news from across the Atlantic! I’m sure Biden and his team will require all the strength they can muster for shaping the healing process the country will now dearly require, and not just on the medical front. So, I wish them just that...strength and a hand equally steady and lucky.

• Like 13
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Would anybody take a bet on Biden not seeing out the end of his first term.?

His mother lived to 93, his father 87, he is coming up to 78, he has the full facilities of top level medics,  on average you live 5 years longer than your parents... He has every chance of disappointing Kamila.. At least for the first term.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2