The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

A "FRIENDLY" WARNING TO MR BEAR AND MR HIPPO

So, Mr Bear and Mr Hippo, trying to remove CAKE from Captain Cynical's Alpine Redoubt (tm) by force or without CC's approval would be a terminally fatal exercise.

However, CC is entirely reasonable and is happy to trade CAKE for M***l R*****y supplies.

iD (on behalf of Captain Cynical)

Bear went thru' a similar course during Basic Training.  Blindfold.

Trading?  Where would the fun be in that??

• Like 7
  • Funny 9

Good Evening,

There seems to be a bit of a lacklustre engagement with this 'putdown' compared to the lock down back in March. Only time will tell!

5 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

7B6EFBE4-5D2A-48E0-A744-98BEB5375FF8.jpeg.b02cd7c3c27958c20258e02bfa30b758.jpeg

Cute; I got me one of those too!

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes I remember the sugar tankers well. Their unloading dock was just sized for an artic but backing down the lane past the nick and the wmc took skill and time.  Two of the lads on my shift were rather surprised one morning, about 03.30 when they radioed in to say that there was a lost lorry driver in Tess & Co's car park but he only spoke french. I told the control room I'd walk over and sort it. I don't know who was more surprised, my two PC's or the lorry driver when  a Lieutenant  of the gendarmarie in uniform spoke to him in reasonable French and directed him to the aforementioned unloading dock.  

My french came in useful another night when we had an Italian shoplifter and they couldn't get an interpreter. I found out that he'd been in the Foreign Legion. I went into his cell and he shot to attention. I managed to remember the words for thief and lawyer and he agreed that he would stay the night and be interviewed in the morning. The custody Sgt was in stitches out in the cell passage. I then had to write some appropriate words on the custody record.  All good stuff and the mug of tea afterwards was excellent.

Jamie

I have two keyboards for my computer at work and also for my computers at home; in each location, one is QWERTY, the other is AZERTY. Can't understand why I have most of our French accounts in my portfolio.

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

God knows what he is trying to do

Are you sure about this? Do you have evidence of His knowledge? ;)

• Like 12

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear went thru' a similar course during Basic Training.  Blindfold.

Trading?  Where would the fun be in that??

I think, Mr Bear, that you and I should join forces. You clearly have the abilities that will greatly benefit an organisation like mine.

Why don’t you come to Switzerland in a month or two? It is the start of the official cockwomble hunting season (people say it’s cruel, but you really do have to to thin down the herds) and I always manage to bag a brace or five. We are, of course, sporting gents; so we always let them have a few hundred metres head start. I can guarantee that the food will be superb, the whiskies rare and exquisite and there will be plenty of popsies around to keep the Bear’s toes warm at night

What say you? I’ll send part-time job (like odd-job, but he only works 50%) to collect you in the Lear Jet. And don’t worry about quarantine, not only do I have advanced alien medical technology (thanks to a “friend” in A**a 51), but Britain won’t know you’ve left and Switzerland won’t know you’ve arrived.

iD (a.k.a. Captain Cynical)

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each and a Very Happy Birthday to Aditi.

The umpteenth Battle of the Somme is still raging round here.  We had to shut all the windows last night because of the smell of smoke and have had to do it again tonight.

We went for a walk this morning, only for about half and hour but in that time only passed four other pedestrians and a dog who all kept their distance.  Plenty of traffic on the main road but side roads were extremely quiet.

A bit more Christmas has been delivered today by Postie and Amazon driver, both of whom were gloved and masked.

More "stuff" is on the way, I just hope that we'll be able to celebrate in the way that The Boss envisages.  My birthday is the day before lockdown ends so she's already making tentative plans for a small celebration the following weekend but of course who knows what the situation will be then.  My suggestion of wait and see before trying to organise anything has been answered with "don't be a miserable old killjoy etc" so I shall just go with the flow.

MOG *of Sutton.

*Miserable Old Git.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

2 hours ago, BokStein said:

Good Evening,

There seems to be a bit of a lacklustre engagement with this 'putdown' compared to the lock down back in March. Only time will tell!

Cute; I got me one of those too!

I have two keyboards for my computer at work and also for my computers at home; in each location, one is QWERTY, the other is AZERTY. Can't understand why I have most of our French accounts in my portfolio.

Are you sure about this? Do you have evidence of His knowledge? ;)

The only evidence i have is from my old man (an ordained priest in the Church of England) that God is all knowing . (Not that i am believer in tbat sort of stuff)

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Yet another re-enactment of the battle of the Somme tonight only a lot closer than last night.

Really quite quiet a few miles to the east of Phil tonight. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Lots of bangs last night but none tonight. 

Travelled on a bus today to do some shopping. Large notice say maximum passengers 14 but driver can allow up to 18 in case of family groups. So my wife in her wheelchair and I made it 18 on the bus. At the next four stops nobody got off and 10 people got on so now there were 28 jammed together and TfL have the nerve to say that every journey matters and how they are keeping people safe!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

........so now there were 28 jammed together...

Just as well there’s a lockdown in place. Goodness knows what it would have been like otherwise.

• Like 2
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just come across this on Farcebook.

Woolworths toy counter just before C*******s 1951. And biscuits as well.

And who remembers these:-

image.png.b3d45e8a67561a770ed21f8d92e80b42.png

And of course the fruit jellies sweets that were so loaded with sugar that its a miracle we had any teeth left.

Ah, we went one better, our next-door neighbour worked at the Peak Frean factory and from time-to-time he delivered a big tin of broken creams.....

Keith

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Lots of bangs last night but none tonight. 

Travelled on a bus today to do some shopping. Large notice say maximum passengers 14 but driver can allow up to 18 in case of family groups. So my wife in her wheelchair and I made it 18 on the bus. At the next four stops nobody got off and 10 people got on so now there were 28 jammed together and TfL have the nerve to say that every journey matters and how they are keeping people safe!

TfL are severely cash-strapped and have had to go cap-in-hand to Westminster begging for not one but two bailouts.  Those have been granted on somewhat onerous terms.  TfL therefore needs to secure as much farebox revenue as it can.  In order to achieve this many bus drivers are allowing on as many passengers as the legal limit permits.  

Note that the legal limit is displayed on the plate (or sticker in many cases these days) inside and is not the advisory limit suggested on the doors.  That is exactly that - advisory.  The driver cannot enforce it and many have been abused for trying.  As a former driver myself I know how that sort of thing feels - quite simply the next time it happens you turn a blind eye in the interests of your own safety.  

The seats "not in use" are also advisory and not enforceable.  When conveying schoolchildren all seats may be used whether or not other passengers are on board which blurs the guidance more than somewhat.  There is also a legal duty of care.  While that applies across the board including to those already aboard (thinking in terms of numbers possibly in excess of guidelines) it is also the case that should vulnerable persons be left behind or refused travel a claim might be made against the driver and the operator for discrimination.  I know that some correspondence was entered into with regard to the lower numbers on some routes locally to me causing hospital workers to be left behind.  Not just for the next bus (which might be 30 - 60 minutes away here) but the domino-effect occurs meaning an increasing number of people was being left behind when more than one bus drove past "full".  The buses in question were soon observed to be carrying more like 30 passengers than the 14 advised at the front door. 

My observation of London buses has been that when more people are waiting than can be accommodated under the advisory numbers the next driver will usually allow them all on.  A goodly number of buses have been seen conveying well in excess of the numbers advised by the door stickers.  

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 12

I'm so glad I live almost off grid, never use public transport unless it's a steam hauled train, we heard a few distant fireworks on Bonfire night that lasted no more than 5 minutes, bliss. I would however like to move even further away if I could, top of a mountain would be nice, but little for sale.

Take care all and G'night.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14