The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

18 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

My TV is no better, it is much the same, but I am grateful for the various tips that have been given.  That's not the same as the kind of tip where you have to make an appointment to dispose of refuse, though of course that is where the TV may end up when its useful life is finally over.  Such a facility is probably not open during lockdown.  Why would it be?

I have a fodder run to do this morning.  I may be some time. 

Best wishes to all

Chris

Most TV suppliers of good repute will relieve you of the old set at time of delivery of the new and dispose of it for you.

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

My ads on this page this morning are for dull laptops and eco non stick frying pans..a bizarre combination.

Thick fatchy pog outside. I have to parcel and post a couple of items today..oh the excitement of it all!!

I can see major tears in the USA.  Stay safe our USA based ERs!

Time for my mugatea methinks... in the meantime I yave been given an invite to a virtual open day at Sheffield Hallam.. the ad says "Knowledge Applied".. who by? Not the stupids I fear.

Have as good a day as you can! Carpe Diem! Stay safe!

Baz

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have had to organise deliveries to a couple of Grand Designs sites the first one was one of the early water tower jobs thst was meant to be the water tower and an extension but the extension bit didnt get done originally they were virtuslly polishing the Bison slabs before they left the factory. The truck was in Bison livery was valeted as well. The latter job was with a diferent company it was the ruined barn with the house underneath

I think one of my favourites was where the owner rescued a scottish (or borders?) castle that must've been derelict in 1066, judging by the state of it (a few stone walls, no roof...); I recall a large section of wall collapsed whilst they were filming, which all had to be rebuilt as it was listed.  They made a really nice job of it, though the owner had to open it as a B&B cos' the bill went so high.  It was that or sell it.

8 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Honestly, that's almost more concerning to most of us than if he were to actually win a second term.

We've already seen how very uncooperative and destructive he is when he's "happy with things and is not on the way out", it's truly VERY worrying to imagine what sort of stupidity and havoc he may wreak when faced with a loss :O

I really do hope that the first task of the day for Mr. Biden is to publish a certain person's tax returns.......

7 hours ago, newbryford said:

If I ever go into the bushes, it's for the opposite of a drink

That's far, far preferable to going in for the opposite of a bacon roll........

In other news:

Bear must do some tidying of the garden today, including the collection of the dreaded leaves; it hasn't rained for several days, most leaves are off the tree, I want a day out of that effin' kitchen refurb and the grass could do with a chew cut as well.  Deep joy.

• Like 6
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

I think the most annoying thing about twitter is how certain BBC newscasters fawn on it.

"Twitter is saying..." is my personal pet hate.

What they mean - at best - is a certain "story" is getting attention from people who they don't know and the provenance of which is unproven. Hardly journalism. 

"Twitter storm" - between 3 and 10 people have posted on a subject on a slow news day.

"Fans have taken to twitter to call out...." - a post millennial has angst and should really just get a flippin grip.

• Agree 12
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I wasn't going out today until I found I was running out of bread and a visit to Tess Coes was required. It was dead quiet in there as well. Got the bread and a few other items and some mince pies. The mince pies were reduced despite a use by date of 22nd. December. There had been a pallet full of them dropped in the warehouse and the boxes were damaged but fortunately the contents were alright.

Oh that I could buy mince pies at Intermarché.

14 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Our tescos is similar its not massive but there seems to be one fridge/freezer out of action

I remember that branch of Tess & Co's well. The entrance to it's delivery bay was opposite the entrannce to our car park and sometimes we would gave to wait to get out whilst an artic reversed into the store loading bay.  We also had to cope with sugar tankers reversing  past the nick into the Haribo factory and beer drays delivering to the Working Men's club that was opposite the entrance to the cell area. Fun.

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, polybear said:

I think one of my favourites was where the owner rescued a scottish (or borders?) castle that must've been derelict in 1066, judging by the state of it (a few stone walls, no roof...); I recall a large section of wall collapsed whilst they were filming, which all had to be rebuilt as it was listed.  They made a really nice job of it, though the owner had to open it as a B&B cos' the bill went so high.  It was that or sell it.

I think you may mean this one in Yorkshire.. https://www.granddesignsmagazine.com/book/25?page=7

There are records on the site dating back to Saxon times but the the current building is 1440s incorporating parts of a 1340s building.  It was abandoned and exterior extensions removed in 1959.

The rebuilders have been trying to sell since 2016, as they wish to move to support a child with some disabilities  and to do that they wish to move to near Bath.... 

And build a Roman villa!!! 

Oh twatter.. I got logged on once as someone had posted something I needed on it,   I stayed on it for a couple of weeks never posted anything,  and left as it was carp.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a chilly but sunny Charente.  More jungle clearance  got done yesterday and more coffee and ginger biscuits were consumed whilst sitting on the bench in the sun. Then off to Aulnay to collect fish and chips.  A quiet evening if TV folliwed.

Up betimes today to go and open up our friends house so that a winter pool cover can be fitted. Got there for 08.00 as arranged. 08.25 Beth rang to say he wouldnt arrive till 10.00 so now back home with muggacoffee No 2.  Possibly some more jungle work later.

Stay safe.  Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There was a case a few years back where a wealthy property owner had a house built in secret on green belt land. As it was on a farm he disguised it by building silos and other agricultural buildings around it. They got him in the end and after the court case the planning department revealed that it had been spotted on Google Earth. 

He was actually Jailed for 6 years for drug dealing and money laundering. His art collection was sold and so was 'Shedley Manor' under the confiscation of assets ruling.

By coincidence there was a report in the local paper only a few days ago that the new owner has applied for planning permission to demolish the old property and build a conventional farmhouse style family home.

BBC report from 2018  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-44273049

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Having lots of followers/friends on Twitter is similar to being a millionaire in Monopoly.

@chrisf  Chris - I don’t use Use Twitter but I’m not sure that it suites your purpose.  I would look into the privacy issue. Isn’t a tweet public to be read by anyone who comes across it?  There is a limit to the number of characters that you can use in a message.  It was about 140 it may be more now.  That is about 130 more than I need for the messages I would send to some,  but is it enough for a man of your eloquence?

Edited by BoD
  • Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Moaning all. Another schitty day in paradise. Last night around here was like the battle of the Somme. At one point the smoke mixed with the mist looked like one of those old movies showing a London pea soup fog. Meh. No sleep, migraine, and another day of banging my head against the wall while dealing with a cockwomble at work who I think would have difficulty spelling IQ. 

Chris, check your twatter settings. You either get "latest tweets" or by default "top tweets". The latter will show you the people you follow's most responded to or most followers tweets first. On a browser it is the blue star thingy at the top of the page. 

enjoy the rest of the week. 

Edited by AndrewC
forking autocorrupt
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

Nice walk for me this morning, it was far to slippery yesterday, well that was my excuse anyway. 

Not many peopleie things about today either, Volumatic Traffication was also low, which is a good sign that Lockdown might work. That Sun thing must have been switched on early as it was both bright and almost warm.

Cereal just eaten so now time for a Mug of brown hot stuff.

Have a good day one and all, stay safe and well.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, newbryford said:

It will be interesting to see how many legal attacks are made upon him once he loses the protection of the occupation of POTUS.

As POTUS, he is immune from prosecution, other than by impeachment. But is he exempt from a civil lawsuit for libel/defamation? He accused "all of the vote counters" in Pennsylvania of being corrupt. So no defence available that he meant someone else if any of them sue him.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The predicted weather last night was for fog, but they’ve got it wrong, as the skies are blues and the sun is shining!

Breakfast is consumed and I’ll shortly be heading off to the butchers shortly to collect the weekly meat rations and a pastie for dinner. Upon my return, I’ll pack away said rations I’ll make myself muggertea No2 and then head off outside and do the leaf clearing that needs doing, hopefully it’ll only take a couple of hours. After that there are no firm plans, but a little bit of workshop time might happen. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, newbryford said:

And in Kentucky, they've voted for a French Bulldog as the mayor..................

I can't imagine that, even in the US, a dog can get onto the ballot paper. This is presumably a place where one is allowed to add a name and this has been done as a protest against all the official candidates.

Edit: No, I have looked it up. Just a pawblicity stunt. No idea how a town of 500 gets 13,000 votes.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

No idea how a town of 500 gets 13,000 votes.

OMG Trump's right, the voting system IS rigged! 

Edited by BSW01
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late this morning as my internet went down late last night and I've only just caught up. I looked up the link to Grand Designs, most if not all are not to my taste if I was honest but there's some interesting and unusual structures used including a concrete reservoir and a cave. If you scroll down you will find about eight to ten of the subject properties available as holiday lets including the aforementioned cave. There are similar properties in Granada, Spain. Seeing a few disused railway stations in the area shown on Farcebook I was curious as to whether they were for sale and at what price. I didn't find any railway stations but I came across the caves which were dirt cheap, 55,000-70,000 Euros being typical for a two bedroom cave with all mod cons. And if you wanted to start with the cave only its 5,000 Euros, (man made cave with door and window openings cut out).  The US elections rumble on and I think I can see Trump's strategy in calling for the count to be suspended. In a couple of states, Georgia in particular he is only a few hundred votes ahead. If counting is stopped there can't be a recount which Biden would be almost certain to call for. As has been said though his tactics could backfire on him. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I can't imagine that, even in the US, a dog can get onto the ballot paper. This is presumably a place where one is allowed to add a name and this has been done as a protest against all the official candidates.

Edit: No, I have looked it up. Just a pawblicity stunt. No idea how a town of 500 gets 13,000 votes.

Apparently the village started the tradition of electing an animal as mayor  in the 1990's as some sort of publicity stunt. It doesn't have a mayor.

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

I think you may mean this one in Yorkshire.. https://www.granddesignsmagazine.com/book/25?page=7

There are records on the site dating back to Saxon times but the the current building is 1440s incorporating parts of a 1340s building.  It was abandoned and exterior extensions removed in 1959.

The rebuilders have been trying to sell since 2016, as they wish to move to support a child with some disabilities  and to do that they wish to move to near Bath....

That looks like the one; it started off as this (which is better than I remember):

http://www.peelcastle.co.uk/granddesigns/granddesigns2/granddesigns2.html

Apparently up for sale in 2016 for £1.65M, but no longer available (gave up/sold?).  A lot of place for the money - I guess that's location for you.  They'll get nothing like that in Bath for the same money, that's for sure.  Last night's was in Bath; the hole in the ground was £300K in 2007....

As for Twitter, what does that offer that an email doesn't, unless you want to go public.  Based on the cr@p Trumpie posts that's probably a bad idea.........

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

sunshine has again replaced the fatchy pog and mist and the temperature remains 'seasonal'.  Movement of people and vehicles out in our road has changed a bit - pedestrian wise not much change as thus far in the day it is mainly school children and their parents/human 'child dogs' but vehicular traffic is down so maybe folk are going out shopping or time wasting or whatever they do.  it will be interesting to see if the usual number of 'hikers' treading the ancient footpath along the line of our part of the road will continue to be at recent levels as it no doubt counts as 'exercise'.

Just to keep me amused some halfwit has just wasted my time with a 'phone call about 'the Green Grant' which is a Govt initiative (haha) to spend money greening things by saving energy.  I told the idiot that we have it all already so don't want or need anymore and goodbye.  These pillocks who make these calls really must think they are dealing with naive idiots, or more likely of course they are looking for naive idiots to con.  But the call drew my attention to the Govt website which told me we're elgible for draught proofing - oh no we're no - it was tested when the house was built and we're well into the required level of draught proofing.  Or we can get a grant for loft insulation - I presume that would have to go on the floor because there's no room under the floor up there as it is full of insulation and there's no room between the ceiling and the roof surface because it is also crammed full of insulation.  So the website sounds as dodgy as the cold callers, more time wasted.

Surprisingly RMweb seems quieter so far this lockdown than it was last time round which suggests there might well be a lot fewer people locked down and not at work or whatever than there were during the first one.  Time will tell.

Have a good day folks and stay safe.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Apparently the village started the tradition of electing an animal as mayor  in the 1990's as some sort of publicity stunt. It doesn't have a mayor.

Jamie

It could be argued that we have a fair few donkeys that have been elected on this side of the pond.

• Like 3
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Just to keep me amused some halfwit has just wasted my time with a 'phone call about 'the Green Grant' which is a Govt initiative (haha) to spend money greening things by saving energy.  I told the idiot that we have it all already so don't want or need anymore and goodbye.  These pillocks who make these calls really must think they are dealing with naive idiots, or more likely of course they are looking for naive idiots to con.  But the call drew my attention to the Govt website which told me we're elgible for draught proofing - oh no we're no - it was tested when the house was built and we're well into the required level of draught proofing.  Or we can get a grant for loft insulation - I presume that would have to go on the floor because there's no room under the floor up there as it is full of insulation and there's no room between the ceiling and the roof surface because it is also crammed full of insulation.  So the website sounds as dodgy as the cold callers, more time wasted.

When this was announced Bear was rather hoping for a big fat discount on new double glazing, only to discover there are other hoops to jump through which makes this a no-no for yours truly.  Turdycurses.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12