The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

34 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Although i generally enjoy Grand Designs there have been a few where i have found them unbearable to watch because the people involved have been that far up themselves that if they f@rted tgey would suffocate.

Some havent got a bl**dy clue 

Some are damned unlucky 

I enjoy some of them, they do a he k of a job repurposing an old building or reimagining a house. The ones that really irritate me are the sanctimonious gits who build a "green home" from scratch on a greenfield site. Am I missing something or are they just getting around the rural planning regulations to build some hideous modernist glass box with a grand view of unspoilt countryside? 

34 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Always seems to be the wife who gets the last word. Mind you, she will be the one who cops for the pile in the divorce on the grounds of neglect, (He was ALWAYS at work! Yes, trying to pay for the overspend on the house...) 

Or she'll inherit it when he drops dead on the golf course at fifth three.

Edited by MrWolf
FUBAR
  • Like 8
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

We used to live in a village out in rather hilly countryside. About half a mile away was a hill, just green fields and hedges. Then a house went up bang on top, all on its own, looking rather like Peppa Pigs place. We could never figure how it got planning permission. We called it “Backhander Cottage”.

• Like 4
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have had to organise deliveries to a couple of Grand Designs sites the first one was one of the early water tower jobs thst was meant to be the water tower and an extension but the extension bit didnt get done originally they were virtuslly polishing the Bison slabs before they left the factory. The truck was in Bison livery was valeted as well. The latter job was with a diferent company it was the ruined barn with the house underneath

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

image.png.b71596aac6df53212fc89037ebdefff8.png

You never met my paternal grandfather! He tried to drown me when I was nearly 3 and thought it hilarious to loosen things like wheelnuts or the saddle on my bike when I was a teenager and he lived with us. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Friendly/supportive 17

1 hour ago, pH said:

You assume that the purpose of these lawsuits is actually to stop the counts.

Instead, consider that the purpose may be to create doubt about the validity of the elections, especially if/when the lawsuits are thrown out. That sets up the “we wuz robbed” scenario in the case that he loses, which can lead on to other, bigger things.

One thing I've never pondered about  much because the previous incumbents have been normal, is the US system whereby   voting for a president happens in   November, but the  incumbent stays in the job until late  January. 

Here and I assume the UK if they lose they are out the door first thing the next morning or whenever a result happens. 

Given the presidents proven form for acting out extreme revenge on people he feels slight him, what is he going to be up to  for the next three months if he loses? (when he's not Tweeting).

Firstly, I can see him giving even less of a toss about the Covid situation (If thats possible), especially in any states that he didn't win.

• Agree 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. After the weather news at seven I haven't watched any TV so I didn't see Grand Designs. I have watched it in the past but most of the projects are way above my bank balance. 

35 minutes ago, Northroader said:

We used to live in a village out in rather hilly countryside. About half a mile away was a hill, just green fields and hedges. Then a house went up bang on top, all on its own, looking rather like Peppa Pigs place. We could never figure how it got planning permission. We called it “Backhander Cottage”.

There was a case a few years back where a wealthy property owner had a house built in secret on green belt land. As it was on a farm he disguised it by building silos and other agricultural buildings around it. They got him in the end and after the court case the planning department revealed that it had been spotted on Google Earth. Time for another muggatee, be back later.

• Like 14

35 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

One thing I've never pondered about  much because the previous incumbents have been normal, is the US system whereby   voting for a president happens in   November, but the  incumbent stays in the job until late  January. 

Here and I assume the UK if they lose they are out the door first thing the next morning or whenever a result happens. 

Given the presidents proven form for acting out extreme revenge on people he feels slight him, what is he going to be up to  for the next three months if he loses? (when he's not Tweeting).

Firstly, I can see him giving even less of a toss about the Covid situation (If thats possible), especially in any states that he didn't win.

Honestly, that's almost more concerning to most of us than if he were to actually win a second term.

We've already seen how very uncooperative and destructive he is when he's "happy with things and is not on the way out", it's truly VERY worrying to imagine what sort of stupidity and havoc he may wreak when faced with a loss :O

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

6 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Honestly, that's almost more concerning to most of us than if he were to actually win a second term.

We've already seen how very uncooperative and destructive he is when he's "happy with things and is not on the way out", it's truly VERY worrying to imagine what sort of stupidity and havoc he may wreak when faced with a loss :O

That added to the fact that he will be a private citizen free to travel wherever in the world he likes, with intimate knowledge of US government,  intelligence and military secrets, and allegedly huge loans to repay..

Maybe it would be better if he stayed president,  or better still  the US created a "Super Special President" role for him where he just travelled around holding rallies and whinging  to his hearts content.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the parcel arrived about 30 minutes before we had dinner, so most of the morning was spent in the cellar. Still it’s slowly getting emptied, something that I’d like to get done sooner rather than later. By the time we’d eaten dinner I didn’t really have time to sweep up the leaves, so a few more items were moved into the shed and workshop. The weather forecast for tomorrow looks good, so hopefully, I’ll get the leaves swept up in the morning after I’ve been to the butchers. 

Little else of note happened today, so I’ll bid you all a goodnight. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/11/2020 at 14:42, Barry O said:

Rick

it is not the playing its all the "social " activity that takes place.. from talking to a couple of Golfers they wouldn't want to play due to:

1  The weather - it is like playing in a bog on the fairways  and

2 The attitude of fellow players (the odd trip into the trees for a non social drink..

1. Fair weather golfers = wussies!

2. If I ever go into the bushes, it's for the opposite of a drink (or to look for my lost ball and being very careful not to touch yellow ones.) If anyone disappeared for a non-social drink during a round, it wouldn't be long before they got called for slow play.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

They have just been showing one of the counts on TV. Tellers opening and checking postal ballots rather slowly.

The ballot paper is huge, an A3 sheet at least. They put all their various elections and referenda on the one ballot paper which makes counting much more difficult, even with counting machines.

And in Kentucky, they've voted for a French Bulldog as the mayor..................

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

That added to the fact that he will be a private citizen free to travel wherever in the world he likes, with intimate knowledge of US government,  intelligence and military secrets, and allegedly huge loans to repay..

Maybe it would be better if he stayed president,  or better still  the US created a "Super Special President" role for him where he just travelled around holding rallies and whinging  to his hearts content.

It will be interesting to see how many legal attacks are made upon him once he loses the protection of the occupation of POTUS.

• Agree 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Do I detect a slight oxymoron in the use of the emboldened words above?

Why do I see a proposal being put to congress, or whatever the jurisdiction is known as, to remove the maximum term of 2 sentences sessions of occupancy of the post of president?

4 minutes ago, newbryford said:

It will be interesting to see how many legal attacks are made upon him once he loses the protection of the occupation of POTUS.

But with his Teflon shoulders...

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

For those discussing/confused about the ballots here, yes, indeed, anything and EVERYTHING that is up-for-vote is on the ballot, from president, through US senate and representatives and state senate and house representatives down to city council. state and local judges, school board positions etc., where they are at term and voted for. 

Do you still vote for dogcatcher?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8

Greetings one and all

I wonder if any gentle readers have experience of using Twitter?  It seems to me that tweets from notables and others are given prominence well in excess of both their importance and that of their senders.  Hold the front page, everybody, X has tweeted.  The background to my question is that I am looking for a more effective method of communication with a certain friend of mine than the one we use at present, Messenger - one that is much more difficult to ignore.  Apart from not really understanding how it works, what has put me off Twitter hitherto is the use made of the medium by President Chump, which makes it very difficult for me to take the medium seriously.

My TV is no better, it is much the same, but I am grateful for the various tips that have been given.  That's not the same as the kind of tip where you have to make an appointment to dispose of refuse, though of course that is where the TV may end up when its useful life is finally over.  Such a facility is probably not open during lockdown.  Why would it be?

I have a fodder run to do this morning.  I may be some time. 

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 17