The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

One thing to remember when buying a new tv is that many new ones don’t have scart sockets so if you have a DVD player with scart only you may need a new one of those as well. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

Re Sunderland Eye Infirmary . . .I dropped my mate in for a cataract op. An hour later we were supping tea in his house.

Four weeks later , ,took him in for the other eye op . . . this time it was 45 minutes later for tea in his house.

He is very happy about his treatment . . it has also eased my mind somewhat for when mine need doing . . . .because they will.

A pleasant bright but chilly day here on the Costa . . Have a guddun each. . . 

John

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

We used to get a chap coming round asking about power washing drives. He was quite old, had an Irish accent. He was pleasant and always  left amused by my reason for not wanting my drive cleaned.  Usually something like, it had taken ages to get to that colour or it would only get dirty again so it wasn’t worth doing. His replacements were a bit pushier (and they had a van too) and have Essex accents. 
Tony

One bloke came round several years ago in his truck - I saw him pull up outside.  Strangely, he felt the need to don his hard hat, face mask & ear defenders combo in order to knock on my door and offer to cut the three conifers in the front garden as they were "diseased".  He left empty handed.....

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Speaking of the Kia driver who had difficulty reading the number plate reminded me of an incident many years ago when the M25 was being built. An elderly chap was creeping through the roadworks at about ten mph. In the tailback behind him was a police car so they pulled him over. It turned out the driver was registered blind and even had his white stick in the car with him!  Muggatee to be drunk, be back later.

A similar one made the news some years ago.  He said that he only drove with his mate next to him, who gave steering directions.....

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

You mean you don't tear the labels off envelopes before recycling.. you are a lazy bear!... Ours are shredded if anything other then the  address is included (like membership numbers)

Baz

Fear not, Mr. B.  Bear always removes addresses, names and numbers for shredding.  Some letters are a right PITA (Tesco springs to mind) as they have a habit of inserting names left, right and centre.

56 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Just been watching the latest vid doing the rounds on line a family have tried springing granny(90+) from the care home to allow her to spend her final days at home with family. Daughter 70s a qualified nurse. 

Some one has involved police granny back in care home daughter arrested

WTF is going on 

That's made the national tv news - it seems the care home have a "legal duty of care" for granny (who has dementure).  Is granny (97) on her last legs, otherwise she could last a few years yet.  I wonder if the family are up for that sort of commitment?

40 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

One tip; if you don’t want to buy a new piece of furniture to put the tv on look at the photos to see if the supplied stand will sit on your existing furniture.

Another Tip:  For anything where you can't walk out with it there and then (such as on-line orders) I'd recommend using a credit card for payment; in the current climate if a retailer (this isn't directed at JL - I don't want to start any rumours!) goes under then you can claim all money back from the CC Company (I believe for purchases over £100).  Debit Cards don't have that protection (not sure about Amex, as I believe that's classed as a charge card). 

In other news:

Bear has discovered someone who is as big a nob as the Orange One (possibly even bigger) - his son.  Jeez....

Edited by polybear
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

All our named letters /  forms etc  are recycled.... into heat...

They go in the stove...

• Like 14
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, polybear said:

snip<

In other news:

Bear has discovered someone who is as big a nob as the Orange One (possibly even bigger) - his son.  Jeez....

if you do face ache...

https://www.facebook.com/janeygodleyfanpage/videos/358697632062721/UzpfSTUxNjk4NDY1MjoxMDE1OTE4NjcxMDIyOTY1Mw/

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 7
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

We suspect furred tubes (Tubular Furricosis?) restricting the flow which fails to trigger the burners.

We had similar problems with our previous boiler even though the system had regular inhibitor added. The feed from the header tank was full of scale, so bad I just replaced the pipe. When the  new boiler and a few other parts were fitted the stuff coming out as the system was cleaned was quite yucky. The new boiler is fed from a water softener and has a magnetic sludge inlet filter. Doing the routine sludge filter clean shows that the system is quite clean now. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 hours ago, chrisf said:

It has already messed up my dinner date in Weybridge and I look forward to having another go when we are at relative liberty again.

Dang Chris! That's where I grew up, is the location a watering hole that may have existed in pre-historic times, or at least when I was there?? :)

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Dang Chris! That's where I grew up, is the location a watering hole that may have existed in pre-historic times, or at least when I was there?? :)

To be honest, I don't know.  It is something we need to discuss.  In the past, Mary and I have dined at the Cafe Rouge, sadly now closed.  It started when I realised that my route home from the Portsmouth Show in November as near as dammit passed the end of her road.  More recently she has kindly cooked for me.  She is under the impression that I don't like foreign food, which is not entirely true so we need to talk abut that too.  I suspect that I will end up stopping at a chippie on the way in from the M25 but I expect her to be very particular as to which newspaper the fish and chips are wrapped in.

Chris  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

23 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Small World Ian, I lived at Addlestone from 59 to 63, (aged 9 to 13), and used to often see Dick Emery about and at Fairoaks Airfield where he kept his plane. We used to get his Autograph and then sell or swap them at School, he thought that was funny, a really nice Guy.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Which one?

All, without doubt, if they share any of his DNA.........

1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

In other news, our own personal sh!t-for-brains has somehow decided to sue to stop the ballot counting. In a somewhat unsurprising but STAGGERING lack of intelligence he seems to have missed the point that stopping the count may actually/ALSO negatively affect HIS tally - what an absolute MORON!

Bear found that somewhat confusing too - it makes far more sense to quit when you're ahead, not when you're losing....

In other news:

Bear has completed all the framework for the boxing in of pipework :dancer: - it just needs plasterboard on top at some convenient point.  No leaves have yet been picked up as (a) I've decided to cut the grass at the same time, so the job has been postponed until tomorrow, and (b) some connectors I've been waiting for arrived in the post.  These have now been used to place an in-line male/female break in the dc power supply lead to the laptop; this means I can disconnect the laptop from the charger without unplugging the connector on the side of the laptop itself, thus preserving the laptop connector and minimise  the risk of damage.  That's the plan anyway.  So this afternoon the soldering iron was out; the connectors proved to be not the easiest to solder, as well as not withstanding heat for any length of time (it was all too easy to melt the plastic insulation material); the cable was screened so similar care was required to prevent damage to the insulation between core and screen.  Fortunately there were several pairs of connectors delivered, and the cable was plenty long enough to chop the end off and try again.... 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 minutes ago, polybear said:
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

In other news, our own personal sh!t-for-brains has somehow decided to sue to stop the ballot counting. In a somewhat unsurprising but STAGGERING lack of intelligence he seems to have missed the point that stopping the count may actually/ALSO negatively affect HIS tally - what an absolute MORON!

Bear found that somewhat confusing too - it makes far more sense to quit when you're ahead, not when you're losing....

Agree, then again I refer you back to the last phrase in my statement :)

Apparently there's no accounting for stupidity, even if a far too large percentage of the US population subscribe :O

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I wasn't going out today until I found I was running out of bread and a visit to Tess Coes was required. It was dead quiet in there as well. Got the bread and a few other items and some mince pies. The mince pies were reduced despite a use by date of 22nd. December. There had been a pallet full of them dropped in the warehouse and the boxes were damaged but fortunately the contents were alright.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2