The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ey up! Been awake for hours as her indoors was awake reading her kindle. She couldn't sleep.. so eventually she made a mugatea.. now she is off to moreasons..I just hope no one causes her any grief.. they may get toasted by that "glare".

I won't try and do much today.. unless I can get a little additional eye lid inspection. 

My next eye v laser appointment is in early December.. I still have a bit of an ache from the work done last Sunday.. never mind!

I have just been informed that I shall be doing address labels for Festive Cards today.. I won't ask why.. better to just do it.

Stay safe..  follow the rules..enjoy what you can!

Very positive thoughts to all ERs especially the missing ones.

Baz

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

In the USA the elections are run by the individual states, each of which has its own set of regulations. The times of counting advanced/mailed in ballots varies. 

They are voting for more than a president -- congress and 1/3 of the senators. I'm not sure if more levels of government are on the ballot or not.

They have just been showing one of the counts on TV. Tellers opening and checking postal ballots rather slowly.

The ballot paper is huge, an A3 sheet at least. They put all their various elections and referenda on the one ballot paper which makes counting much more difficult, even with counting machines.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

Good morning, foggy here.

We had a very good last day of freedom, visting Kernow Guildford. They were busy but as a group were chatting towards the rear of the store I was allowed in and up to the counter where I collected my order. The person serving was getting a little flustered due to the number of people wanting to come in so I made my purchase quickly and left them to deal with others.

After that it was to the best pub in the area at Godalming. We had to sit outside but next to a heater. They had every table reserved from 5pm till close but we were back in Redhill by just after 2pm delayed by signal fialures at Redhill station. We visited our two favourite pubs in town before catching the bus to Reigate arriving at the Pilgrim Brewery just before opening os first in. There was a queue shortly afterwards and every seat occupied with a queue still there when we departed at 7pm. Bus back to Redhill but we couldnt get in the pub  in town for Thai food as fully booked up so we walked home past Spoons which also had a queue to get in.

No beer today but we do have a mini keg to open tomorrow.

Other half has the TV on listening to a number 45 being a bad loser despite that he hasnt lost yet.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear finds that dropping a Grade A evil f*rt makes them (a) cover their noses, and (b) back right off.  They'll scowl at you, but you got that anyway.....

If they've hurriedly put their masks back on, how do you know they are scowling at you?

I just start to twirl my tail to get adequate separation.

For those that have missed it in the past......

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well it isn’t raining, but the sun is nowhere in sight and the current temperature is 7C, so cool. This morning we have a package due to arrive sometime between 9 and 1 o’clock, so I’m required to be on door duty, as Sheila will be busy ironing the duvet cover and doesn’t want to stop will be unavailable to answer the door. So pottering about in the cellar will be my task this morning, hopefully I’ll get the leaves swept up front and back after dinner. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for can do today, back later. 

Brian

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Bob, sitting here talking to you and waiting for the next moron to upset me.

I will jet wash your drive, sir

Very cheap, sir

No VAT.

Very good job sir.

What was that you said, sir?

Edited by BoD
  • Like 3
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Anyway went we got the the back of the landrover the old man from the kia struggled to read the number plate of the landrover to write it down.... from 6 foot...

A quiet word in your local Bobby's shell-like would not go amiss, though I'd get the insurance claim sorted first.....

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

I have just been informed that I shall be doing address labels for Festive Cards today.. I won't ask why.. better to just do it.

Ah yes, labels.  Those things you stick on white envelopes to make them more difficult/impossible to recycle and/or increase the amount of dross going into landfill......

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

We used to get a chap coming round asking about power washing drives. He was quite old, had an Irish accent. He was pleasant and always  left amused by my reason for not wanting my drive cleaned.  Usually something like, it had taken ages to get to that colour or it would only get dirty again so it wasn’t worth doing. His replacements were a bit pushier (and they had a van too) and have Essex accents. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Speaking of the Kia driver who had difficulty reading the number plate reminded me of an incident many years ago when the M25 was being built. An elderly chap was creeping through the roadworks at about ten mph. In the tailback behind him was a police car so they pulled him over. It turned out the driver was registered blind and even had his white stick in the car with him!  Muggatee to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 17
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The land (round here) is full of mist and chilliness - but it is November so I'm not complaining.   A careful check of the tea situation reveals that in addition to the contents of the tea caddy wi e have three packets of Yorkshire tea lurking in the cupboard.  so overall there is an approaching need for resupply - Tesco will no doubt be checked shortly otherwise it's a longish drive to Calcot and the Savacentter although its shelves have no doubt been stripped by now.  We do however also have a reserve pack of Cornish tea of the 'best for builders' variety so we won't die of dehydration (and it is course actually grown in Cornwall).

Talking of Cornwall herself has promised that she will be making pasties today so a delightful evening dinner lies ahead.  Not the sort of weather or time of year to pop one in a paper bag and sit outside eating it pretending we are on holiday or some such thing.  In addition I am commanded to take her to the garden centre in order to purchase, if suitable, a new edging tool (I have checked - yes, they are open;  yes they are selling tools - essential innit).  I wonder what will have been panic bought down there?

Talking of buying things Chrisf need not worry if his tv set goes ion the blink.  The only agony involved is plodding through pages of online detail and drivel deciding which one to buy from which retailer.  This will be followed by the hopefully simple process of actually ordering it and agreeing a delivery date/time and then the ultimate agony of paying for it.  As various tv ads have shown in the past buying large electrical items for delivery is 100% permissible - even during the previous (real) lockdown when we had no choice but to buy a fridge as t'other one had failed and the reapairman couldn't attend.  New fridge duly delivered in accordance with social distancing procedures and outer packaging removed by the delivery men to ensure that what we had to handle hadn't been touched since it left the factory.  And that explains why we now have two fridges one of which is in the hall.

Have a good day one and all and stay safe - even if those around can't be bothered

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, polybear said:

Ah yes, labels.  Those things you stick on white envelopes to make them more difficult/impossible to recycle and/or increase the amount of dross going into landfill......

You mean you don't tear the labels off envelopes before recycling.. you are a lazy bear!... Ours are shredded if anything other then the  address is included (like membership numbers)

Baz

• Like 12
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Urban Development on remaining pockets of  koala habitat is ongoing, particularly in South western Sydney which has the last disease free colony on the mainland.  If anyone wants to help, here is a petition calling on the NSW and  federal governments to implement measures to protect what remains.

https://www.change.org/p/save-the-nsw-koalas

I have signed the petition.  Thank you for drawing attention to it!

Chris

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Just off to local eye infirmary (the one recently recommended by John (Two sugars)) for my yearly visual fields test, albeit 3 months late.  Normally this would be followed immediately by a check up and chat with my consultant.  Not so this time, I wonder when, if and how that will take place. 

With a bit of luck no dilating drops will be needed given that it is very bright outside.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

Just been watching the latest vid doing the rounds on line a family have tried springing granny(90+) from the care home to allow her to spend her final days at home with family. Daughter 70s a qualified nurse. 

Some one has involved police granny back in care home daughter arrested

WTF is going on 

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Talking of buying things Chrisf need not worry if his tv set goes ion the blink.  The only agony involved is plodding through pages of online detail and drivel deciding which one to buy from which retailer.  This will be followed by the hopefully simple process of actually ordering it and agreeing a delivery date/time and then the ultimate agony of paying for it.

I have a fairly simple solution if Chris’ TV does fail. Look on the John Lewis website. Choose one that fits in the available space (the size quoted is the screen diagonal) the actual size is usually quoted somewhere. Nearly all John Lewis supplied sets come with a genuine 5 year warranty. One tip; if you don’t want to buy a new piece of furniture to put the tv on look at the photos to see if the supplied stand will sit on your existing furniture. Weight isn’t a problem if it presently supports a crt set.  Our small nieces have an absolutely ancient 32” CRT tv that their parents just haven’t got round to replacing (it hasn’t broken!). When the girls saw their favourite programme on our newer television they did notice and comment on the difference. 

Tony

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, BoD said:

With a bit of luck no dilating drops will be needed given that it is very bright outside.

It always seems to be a sunny day when I have dilating drops.

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

For those that have missed it in the past......

Oooooh.  A re-fart ;)  

Morning all.   A grey and cold one with varying density of fog it is too.  Thank goodness for thermals (tops, bottom and socks) plus those Little Hotties heat pads you can pop into your gloves, shoes or elsewhere.  I place one inside the invert of my uniform beanie which therefore cannot be seen but warms my forehead and helps keep the rest more comfortable too.  

You wouldn't know there was a lockdown.  It's more like a lockout.  Some shops closed.  Some places restricted to click & collect, delivery or takeaway but still trading.  That's about the only difference.  The slightly lower level of off-peak traffic (buggy-brigade, most notably) could be attributed to the weather as much as anything.  Morning rush to work - still there; schools - still there; our takeaway coffee shops - still (thankfully) there.  And all of us - still there.  Might be different come Monday but we don't expect much to change.  It is the office workers who never came back who make the biggest difference to our daily workload.  Those who have Covid-secure offices are probably still using them.  

We are hoping the boiler man appears this afternoon as hot water has become a bit of an erratic event of late.  We suspect furred tubes (Tubular Furricosis?) restricting the flow which fails to trigger the burners.  

I'm off to raid the kitchen.  There are bacons and eggs which won't cook themselves and a morning outside in this weather has increased my marginal utility for a decent feed!  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16