The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Favourite ‘melodic’ female singer - Emmylou Harris. However, for powerful female voices - Bonnie Tyler, Lucinda Williams and (from the dim and distant past) Billie Davis.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, polybear said:

....As for bear-proof cake pantry, save your money as there's no such thing.....

Oh, you poor, foolish, bear. Now I know that all I would have to do is ensure that there is a sufficient quantity of “yucky cream” (The Bear’s words, not mine) placed at all potential entrance points to deter any Ursine enroachment.

Thanks for the suggestion -it’s definitively Bear proof now....

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Oh, you poor, foolish, bear. Now I know that all I would have to do is ensure that there is a sufficient quantity of “yucky cream” (The Bear’s words, not mine) placed at all potential entrance points to deter any Ursine enroachment.

Thanks for the suggestion -it’s definitively Bear proof now....

Sorry to be the bear-er :laugh: of bad news, but this particular Bear strikes long before any Cake has a chance to reach said Pantry.  Pre-emptive strike wins every time....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
Just now, grandadbob said:

Another large slab of apple cake enjoyed this afternoon.  The Boss cut it, not me!   Just saying  :sorry:

At this rate it won't last long.

Where are you?  Ah yes, Sutton...close enough.  If you hear any noises during the night don't worry - Bears don't leave crumbs :laugh:

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

4c and dropping here

Having seen that I thought I had better check. It is forecast to get down to 2C here early tomorrow morning. So I don’t need to turn the outside tap off just yet. 
I suspect Aditi will spend tomorrow in the garden if it is cold and dry. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bears don't leave crumbs

I can remember what the bears did to some supposedly bear proof rubbish containers we saw in a car park in the Rockies. Bear resistant would have been a better descriptor. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I can remember what the bears did to some supposedly bear proof rubbish containers we saw in a car park in the Rockies. Bear resistant would have been a better descriptor. 

What was amusing was that ordinary litter bins in Jasper were supposed to be bear resistant but Aditi couldn’t open them either. Though I suspect if it was a cake container she would have found a way. 

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. All this talk of cake reminds me that I've a stollen cake in the cupboard. As yet I haven't been tempted enough to open the packet but my resistance is weakening. Time to put the kettle on, be back later. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, simontaylor484 said:

Lovely photo Tony

Courtesy of my neighbour. They are nice neighbours! Last week Aditi squeezed behind our  summerhouse and pruned some of our climbing roses. She couldn’t reach a few but Ted from next door pruned them from his side this morning. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

a stollen cake in the cupboard.

Whenever the prospect of such a cake came up Matthew always said “Dad, don’t tell the joke, it wasn’t funny the first time, just don’t “. So whenever I see stollen mentioned I have a little smile.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

If i hear electoral college one more time i will scream no sooner than this circus finishes they will be on about mid term elections. Its bad enough when its our election havinh it rammed down your throat 

You wouldn’t like it here then! Although Aditi was originally a geography lecturer she eventually became a sociologist. So politics is something she is very interested in. Also we have friends and relatives (who are now US citizens) over there so politics does get a mention. 

• Friendly/supportive 13

Female singers, did someone mention Linda Ronstadt?  One time girl friend of Jerry Brown, sometime governor of the great state of California!  If so just about the only one I recognise but then I'm not into pop singers as I was in my youth.  Nelson Riddle though, perhaps the best conductor and arranger ever, he will be remembered as long as good music and great singers remain.  Sadly he can't help any potential artists now as along with others such as John Barry, he has gone to his musical reward.  Fortunately, since so many established stars recorded their songs with the Riddle orchestra, his works can still be found in virtually any form of entertainment from records,  especially sound tracks and movies starring the best of the era.

Brian.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

16 Months?  FFS.  They'll be out in 8.

16 years would be more appropriate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-54800090

Rant over.

Oh, hang on.....I've just noticed that they will then be "......considered for deportation at the end of their sentence....."

Do we all have "Mugs" tattoo'd across our foreheads?  Double FFS.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

It will no doubt be eye-catching to certain bears and hippos to learn that during the last week I have made no fewer than four cakes - two lemon drizzle cakes, one for a friend who is on her own and facing the prospect of another lockdown and another that has now all gone; a devil's food chocolate cake for our granddaughter when she visited with No. 2 son and DiL over the weekend that has now been removed to darkest Surrey; and a coffee and walnut cake that has been sampled but is still in existence at a secret location. Hence there is no prospect of bears or hippos gaining from nocturnal raids on Hunt Towers but I thought that a gentle teaser was in order.

Coffee and Walnut?  Firmly up down there with real cream, so you're safe.  Now as for lemon drizzle, well this bear is on his own and facing another lockdown....

Go ahead, make my day.....:laugh:

Edited by polybear
  • Like 5
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

How could I forget Barbra?  You either like her or not and as she was a product the mid century and its times, she had some detractors.  On the whole though, she had a pleasant voice and several good musicals during her career, "Hello Dolly" was perhaps the most memorable; she was quite funny too!

Brian

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3

25 minutes ago, polybear said:

16 Months?  FFS.  They'll be out in 8.

16 years would be more appropriate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-54800090

Rant over.

Oh, hang on.....I've just noticed that they will then be "......considered for deportation at the end of their sentence....."

Do we all have "Mugs" tattoo'd across our foreheads?  Double FFS.

Personally i think they should be returned to Mr Macron if they want asylum whats wrong with France

• Agree 11