The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

31 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Wow, didn't think they were still around! :lol:

That's why there's only I few left I shot 'em(nice to see you are paying attention, they have always been referred to in this manner from my old syndicate shooting days lol)

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PeterBB said:

Many E-numbers are absolute essentials but over time E-numbers have been vilified by incorrect generalisations and prejudice.

I'm very good at sweeping generalisations and prejudice, particularly on a Sunday afternoon ... :jester:

Seriously, I would not try to deny E-numbers have a place in today's society and some of them at least do serve a useful purpose. Personally, I am concerned about the increasing chemicalisation of our food and prefer to restrict my intake of man-made chemical substances other than those I or my doctor deliberately select for me. But unlike the society I was paraphrasing/satirising I would not seek to impose this on others. Apologies for not making this clearer. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Blowing a major hoolie here..one airliner flew around the airport for 20 minutes then got in quick.. others are trying to land now.. last count is 5.. one has just done a third flypast.. too windy methinks.

Eyelid checks made.. no incorrect holes spotted but boy I feel bushed!

@Coombe Barton yes there are always at least two or three sets of "information".. The ones people need to know, the ones people should know and the"jesus we can't tell them that" aided and abetted by a man who like barnard cadtle no doubt.

time for me to call it a day...

baz

• Like 14

1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

I have suggested in the past to Swmbo to move Xmas back 2-3 weeks so everything could be bought cheaply. She complimented me on being a miser,scrooge and being tighter than a ducks bottom,but then told me to forget that idea very quickly. You just can't win can you!

Orthodox Christians celebrate Christmas on January 7. That is the Julian Calendar equivalent of December 25 in the Gregorian calendar. There are many Orthodox Christians in Canada, mainly in the Prairie provinces. They can take advantage of the (Western Christian) Boxing Week sales to get their Christmas presents and supplies at a discount.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

Evening,
Glad Baz managed to get his treatment ok even if he’s feeling a bit rough.

Bit of gale out here as well. Had Sydney for most of the day and he’s having I sleepover so just taken him for his nighttime walk.  with the wind and Sydney pulling on his lead I was glad to get in as my balance was being tested to the limit. 
Really do wish we went to the supermarket on Friday as I’m sure it will be chaos everywhere for the next few days and my GF supplies are really low. At least now I’m having to eat up the bits that ordinarily get pushed to the back of the shelf, fridge or freezer. I’m not sure whether it might be best to wait until lockdown and the go when all the other shops should be closed. Had a really, really awful pizza for tea, not be getting any more of them!

Not much done today except take Syd for a long walk and watch the GP.

Not sure about tomorrow but may need an early start so goodnight,

Robert

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

That's why there's only I few left I shot 'em(nice to see you are paying attention, they have always been referred to in this manner from my old syndicate shooting days lol)

I thought it was Willie Whitelaw who shot peasants instead of pheasants.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, pH said:

There are many Orthodox Christians in Canada, mainly in the Prairie provinces.

When we were in Alberta we were walking in the woods and came upon a memorial to all the people from Central Europe, many of whom would have been Orthodox Ukrainians who had settled in Canada before WW1.  The flexible borders in Europe meant that many prairie farmers were deemed to be enemy aliens and interned in work camps. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 12

We have a selection box of chocolate bars and a box of small chip (UK - crisp) packets to eat our way through. We usually get only a few trick-or-treaters at the door - if we get 25, it’s been a busy night. But last night, we had exactly zero - not even the kids from the houses on either side of ours.

This was the last Halloween that fireworks were to be allowed here without a fireworks certificate. It sounded like people were having a final blast. Nonstop explosions from about 5pm, and they were still going strong at midnight.

And I dressed up as a tire changer, so the winter tires are now on the car. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... I think a cat is a much more suitable companion (along with the moat filled with piranhas and the shark infested swimming pool), mainly because cats - like their super villain owner - are cunning, mercilessly sadistic, duplicitous, egomaniacal, self-centred and utterly ruthless at getting what they want (although I am a dog owner and thus may be considered biased, I think that is a fair and honest summary of both cats ...snip...

Have a splendid Sunday!

iD

You have described my cat to a "T"! :biggrin_mini:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

...snip... production being moved to Poland.  ...snip...

That reminded me of the jar of orange marmalade that I bought last week; I read the label closely one day (very bored, I must have been :huh:) and read: "Product of Poland".  It tastes quite nice and I am happy with it.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 7

Greetings one and all

The music of New Roots was most enjoyable yesterday and did much to calm the beast who had become close to savage in the morning.  I heard it and saw some of it via two softwares, Zoom and Gather.   They do not get on well together - the softwares, that is, not the musicians.  I had come across three of the musicians before.  Two belong to Stream of Sound, the excellent youth choir based at Stourbridge.  The third is the prominent figure in Tolquhoun.  His video featured the nifty foot percussion so characteristic of Quebec's music and his fiddle playing was quite outstanding.  His name is Arthur Coates.  Much more will be heard of this personable young Scot so remember who told you about him.

Like many fellow ERs, I could say much more here about the actions and reactions of those who rule us than would be wise.  The publishable version is that I need to finish writing my festive message in the next couple of days before the copy bureau at the end of the street goes into lockdown.  That could be interesting given my current difficulty in concentrating, quite apart from the shortage of good things to mention.  Nonetheless I must go for it.

Best wishes to all

Chris  

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple hare,  762/476

In here earlier than  normal, a point blank refusal from Ben the I'm not going out in that Collie, meant for an early departure..

High winds, drizzle sometimes rain on the way in..

Sleep, 3.5 hours, pink pills, 3.5 hours a good total, my keck shoulders and upper arms are aching from yesterdays work above my head in the garage.

No sign of halloween out on the roads, normally you'd see pumpkins on walls and in windows.. This year nothing..

It's just as well about the pumpkins on walls, I had to dodge dustbins and no longer hanging baskets on the roads as it was...

There is also a shortage of cars outside... which is odd .. the lockdown not starting till Thursday... Not that many of the "can work from home" people had come back anyway..

The situation of the major systems from last week I'm not sure of, the cross checks were showing too many "reds", but I suspect the cross check instrument itself, and the boss was also suspecting that and was going to investigate after I left.

Mean while time to start another one...

But first..

Time to check the company spam...

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3