The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...then anti-personnel land-mines are your friend...:jester::devil:

No No No!! If you use mines there's far to much mess afterwards- have you ever tried getting a leg out of a tree it just causes so much damage to the tree and leaving it there causes so much hassle with the neighbours.

No far better to use motion activated machine guns. You just need to ensure that there's enough ammo and to keep popping out to clear up so that the next batch of 'miscreants' don't get suspicious.

Just off now to speak to my underworld contact, HH about some 'supplies'. Wonder if he'll accept a couple of bags of compost in exchange.

P.s it is entirely by coincidence that my underworld contact has the same initials, HH as that of another contributor of both this and other threads on this website or is it.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Disclaimer.
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Breaking news, Sean Connery has died at the age of 90. Farewell 007.

It really wasGoodbye, Mr Bond“ today. I have always thought he was the definitive James Bond unmatched by any of his successors (although Daniel Craig came close). And I also thought that Kipling has never been done better than with his  “The Man Who Would Be King“ (with Michael Caine).

Methinks a Vodka Martini (shaken not stirred) will be drunk in his memory tonight!

iD

p.s. If all things PC and “woke” annoy you, avoid the BBC and The Guardian obituaries (and especially the Guardian’s opinion piece “Sean Connery: a dangerously seductive icon of masculinity”)

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 9
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Breaking news, Sean Connery has died at the age of 90. Farewell 007.

That's a piece of news guaranteed to make some of us feel old.  Perhaps a happy release for his family as it has been strongly rumoured for several years that he was sufferng from  dementia.  RIP

I see Flavio has mentionedthe excellent 'Man Who Would Be King' and there is also 'The Untouchables' for which he rightly, in my view, collected an oscar.  Plus numerous other films in which he could be seen in his early days or in minor roles such as 'The Longest Day'.  No doubt we will be seeing a major retrospective of his films on various tv channels before long although the two I've mentioned come up fairly regularly anyway.

The weather forecast was right - some bright sunshine this afternoon and if I look eastwards not a cloud in the sky.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

We attended a 5th birthday party yesterday remotely via Zoom.

Hopefully a suitably large wedge of Birthday Cake is posted to all attendees in advance of the party?

55 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

It really wasGoodbye, Mr Bond“ today. I have always thought he was the definitive James Bond unmatched by any of his successors (although Daniel Craig came close).

Sadly I did feel that as time went on the stunts, although entertaining, became more and more unbelievable as the abilities of the Special Effects Dept. grew.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Went to Kirkby Lonsdale and Ingleton while we can, and I bought a really delicious ice cream from the Milking Parlour, a most excellent ice cream shop, where the management are getting very worried about the impending lockdown,

Bear is rather partial to Turkish Delight flavour ice cream; rarely seen though - last time I remember having it was in Whitby many moons ago.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, 45156 said:

Went to Kirkby Lonsdale and Ingleton while we can, 

Nice places to go.  By coincidence we hadca chat with no 2 son last night. He and his girlfriend had taken his caravan to Ingleton and they were planning to do the waterfall walk today.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, polybear said:

Hopefully a suitably large wedge of Birthday Cake is posted to all attendees in advance of the party?

No, as it was presented as Nina’s cake cutting party so any cake will be tasted later by those not present.  The cake was much bigger than a 5 year old could manage I think. Aditi had found cake for us to eat at the same time as the birthday girl though. 
Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. A lot of fireworks going off. I suspect given the direction the noise is coming from its neither Guy Fawkes or Halloween but Diwali. What with the impending lockdown they're making it a bit early. 

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Having done a little acting, I can say most emphatically that I would have loved to have been a Bond villain. I have played some really nasty characters on stage and they are so much fun to play.
I can just see myself, talking to a manacled and captured James Bond, saying: “I see you are admiring my little railway, Mr Bond. It’s a lovely, isn’t it? I have spent a small fortune acquiring genuine GWR rolling stock. They say that a Pannier Tank can run over a person and not even feel a bump. I’m curious to find out if it’s true. Carlos! Please tie Mr Bond to the rails. Goodbye Mr Bond, unike British railways, the wrong sort of Bond on the tracks doesn’t stop my trains” (gives high pitched, psychopathic, giggle)

Perhaps you could get a few tips from Gomez Addams:-

• Like 10
  • Funny 4

What a busy day at work.

Sort of glad as it makes the shift go quick.

Especially more good as I'm off for 3 days, in for 2, then off for 2 + potentially 7!

Sad that the heating bill has doubled the last month.  I think I must have mis-typed the last reading as through September we only used £10 worth of gas.

October is nearly £30 :/

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Oops I got it wrong about Diwali. If the weather forecast is anything to go by the weather next Thursday will be ideal for bonfire night, cold crisp and clear. However I am of the opinion that fireworks should not be sold to the general public and any firework displays should be left to the professionals. I've just seen a notice about the 'new' Blue Pullman. Basically an IC125 set painted in the original colours, a class 43 looks odd without the yellow end. At other times I would have liked to have arranged for our oldest MRC member to take a trip on it as he was one of the first drivers of the original Midland Pullman. Alas it won't be this year as it appears that its first run in a couple of weeks time will be scuppered by the forthcoming lockdown.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13