The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Happy Anniversary Mr and Mrs Brian!

Our 42nd was this year.. in lockdown...

In between mizzle and rain I managed to get out for a "dry" weather walk. At the Uni sports fields there was a game of hockey taking place with a large crowd of stupidsudents and adults watching.. Social distancing .. nil.. could explain why our Covid rate is over 400 and climbing..

Had a busy day but have managed to get some things finished.. well as finished as they can be until further muddling items are ordered and appear here for fitting. 

Time for a mugadecaff!

TTFN

Baz

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good morning everyone 

Well it isn’t raining, but it has been for most of the night. Breakfast has now been consumed and as it’s a Friday I’ll shortly be heading off to the butchers to collect the weekly meat rations and a pastie for my dinner. Then it’s back home to put the rations in either the fridge or freezer then make myself a second muggertea. Once that’s done I’ll then head off to the Trafford Centre for a few more comestibles. As it’s half term I spect it will be heaving today, so I’ll  not be there long, not that there’s any shops left in there that are interesting anyway.

Today is our 42nd wedding anniversary, but the current situation will mean that it will be just the 2 of us tonight!

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

Happy  anniversary Brian and your good Lady.:good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, AndrewC said:

When I was very young I saw an episode of I Love Lucy with Lucille Ball. She was told the best cure for hiccups was to hold your nose and take 10 swallows of water. It actually works. 

To this day if I get hiccups, I grab a glass of water, hold my nose and try to do 10 swallows. (it is bloody hard to do actually) Best cure ever. 

There's two of I know of:

Tell someone when you're next going to hiccup (I guess this makes you focus and somehow they go?)
Inhale through your mouth, swallow twice, slowly exhale through your nose (this has worked for me in the past but I forgot it in the car).

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Happy Anniversary Mr and Mrs Brian!

Our 42nd was this year.. in lockdown...

In between mizzle and rain I managed to get out for a "dry" weather walk. At the Uni sports fields there was a game of hockey taking place with a large crowd of stupidsudents and adults watching.. Social distancing .. nil.. could explain why our Covid rate is over 400 and climbing..

Had a busy day but have managed to get some things finished.. well as finished as they can be until further muddling items are ordered and appear here for fitting. 

Time for a mugadecaff!

TTFN

Baz

Happy belated Anniversay Mr and Mrs Baz.:good:

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Happy Jasper* anniversary to Brian and his boss. After a visit to Tess Coes and after last nights sleeplessness a bit of eyelid inspection was necessary and was duly carried out. *Not officially in the UK but used in other parts.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I have had ti retire to my bed because i feel so bad just hoping it is reaction to yesterday's flu jab.

Swmbo been into town this afternoon says its full of "smack rats"

In fact some are getting a delivery near the top of our estate. This has been forwarded to our locsl constabulary with vehicle reg abd description.

• Friendly/supportive 15

10 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Seen at Eastleigh today, The New Blue Pullman.

It was due out at 4pm, but was then due to run over an hour late, and in the dark, so I didn't stay to see it but got this pic from Campbell Road Bridge.

IMG_3136.JPG.f4354b38e5155e282a0781818f72e4bb.JPG

IMG_3137.JPG.30a6c5beb0dd3d69b7878e929772615a.JPG

Sure I saw one of those in Leicester in the early 1960's.

• Like 7
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

So it will be quite some time before he exercises his right but he intends to do just that.  Probably with three post-school offspring when he arrives

If your friend has right of abode it doesn’t necessarily follow that his offspring do. He would need to check for them too.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Social distancing .. nil.. could explain why our Covid rate is over 400 and climbing........

BBC News this evening interviewed someone (who was most definitely old enough to know better) who'd come from a level 3 area to a level 2 so he could visit the bookies and have a pint.  When pointed out this was against the rules his response was "well the rules are there to be broken, aren't they....."

FFS.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

If your friend has right of abode it doesn’t necessarily follow that his offspring do. He would need to check for them too.  

That has been checked. And they do. 

Circumstances differ. Anyone else in similar situations should seek professional advice as to their rights (which can change) and those of anyone else involved. 

In other news SWMBO has been preparing her C*******s recipes. It is rather early but it is probably diverting her attention from other things. Not least the increasingly confused messages from various sources regarding this wretched virus. 

For example SAGE is reported today as saying that the infection is spreading fast and we may be on course to exceed the “worst-case” predictions some months before the depths of winter. Yet in the same report it is said that in the NE (at least) the rate of infection has not increased “in weeks”.  The current figures for number of cases by local authority area also show sharp downturns including locally here and with the accompanying graphs also suggesting a levelling or downturn in infection. 

Just who or what do we believe?  Or is this deliberate befuddlement intended to blur harsh reality? 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

t who or what do we believe?

I had a look at the NE data. It has indeed stayed stable since the beginning of October but it is a lot higher than down here. Parts of the NE like Newcastle in the same period have moved from blue to dark blue on the map (higher rates). No increase in an area is still concerning if it was at a high rate anyway. Reducing would be nice. Some of the NW areas that have had local lockdowns prior to the Tier system are showing slowdown in infection rates. I couldn’t find the SAGE report mentioning NE rates not increasing. The much reported “worst case scenario” numbers was in a leaked report. Having quickly read an extract of the leaked report there are discussions about whether or not the modelling assumptions that led to those numbers are correct. But of course that doesn’t make good headlines or sound bites.  
I have noted recently a few journalists comment when challenged about headlines not matching their article point out that they don’t write the headline. 

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Seen at Eastleigh today, The New Blue Pullman.

It was due out at 4pm, but was then due to run over an hour late, and in the dark, so I didn't stay to see it but got this pic from Campbell Road Bridge.

I would rather see a close-up of that red tanker.  They are my favorite freight car. Anyway those are good pictures.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Been woken from my slumber by the Police helicopter it sounds like it's directly overhead. Must be looking for reprobates from the other side of the railway lines.I

Fireworks now at least I hope it's fireworks it was a rather loud bang.

Police can just seen heading towards aforementioned Estate.

Forgot to mention a Class66 was towed past earlier in the new freight liner orange colours looked quite striking first time I have seen it in person

Edited by simontaylor484
Update to information
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2