The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Barry O said:

A quick question though - How many of us are seeing neighbours selling homes and moving elsewhere at the moment? Our current total is 4... might just be a hint that we should be moving...

No noticeable selling up etc in our road. There were a couple of house sales late last year both of which fetched high prices. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Been getting bad headaches recently.

Need to monitor that, although may be stress related, or a lack / slowing down of caffine.

In other news, had a bout of hiccups on the way to work - longest I have ever remembered having at about 15 mins.

Stopped off at the Costa Coffee drive thru to get a cold drink (coca cola) to try and get rid of the hiccups but felt I should order something hot.  Got to the paying bit and the hiccups had gone!  Still paid and drive off.

The hot chocolate was really quite nice.

So much so, I may be visiting again in the future.
Damn.

Eye test needed perhaps?  Or too much pc work?

15 minutes?  You're playing at it.  Try 18 hours non-stop, and in your sleep....

August 2016 was particularly memorable, with 19 days of it in a month (though for varying durations, not necessarily 18 hours).   The 23rd November 2016 was fun too, with a peak of 34 a minute.  Eventually, and after the GP being a total ar5swipe waste of space, I saw a Neurologist (from New Zealand) who put me on a drug called Baclofen - which I believe is normally intended for MS sufferers or spinal cord injuries etc.  Somehow they discovered it can be a bit useful for intractable hiccups too, though you have to be a bit careful to ramp the dose up gradually (and vise-versa) or the side effects can be pretty bad news by all accounts.  Luckily the drug has been around for years and is rated as very safe long-term, so no worries there.  Worth it's weight in gold (and some) for this particular Bear - I had something like 18 months of it before getting sorted. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

Hiccup cure - drink from the far side of a glass. It always works for me. I think the bending needed to do it affects the diaphragm, which is spasming to cause the hiccups.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold

I always find that clenching a knife, fork or spoon between the teeth* and drinking a glass of water works.

* other parts of the body are available for clenching.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 8

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

guess what.. I found my get up and go! It was hiding under my my pea and mint fritter at tea time.. cunning little so and so....

A quick question though - How many of us are seeing neighbours selling homes and moving elsewhere at the moment? Our current total is 4... might just be a hint that we should be moving...

Baz

Have you thought of changing your deodorant?:swoon:

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Glad to hear that Dave's procedure went well and I hope he enjoyed the late breakfast afterwards. 

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's vote is for Linda Lusardi :maninlove:

Not a Nurse?  She is in Bear's dreams....:yahoo:

I seem to recall pics of Linda Lusardi in a nurses uniform so I Googled 'Linda Lusardi nurses uniform'. I actually got a result but if I posted it here I'd be banned for life by Andy. :nono: :rtfm:

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 13

3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Glad to hear that Dave's procedure went well and I hope he enjoyed the late breakfast afterwards. 

I seem to recall pics of Linda Lusardi in a nurses uniform so I Googled 'Linda Lusardi nurses uniform'. I actually got a result but if I posted it here I'd be banned for life by Andy.

Now WHY, WHY WHY did I have go and do the Google thing, good job it's almost Bedtime.:fie:

• Funny 18

• RMweb Gold

Great to hear that Tony and Dave have escaped their respective hospitals and are reporting f good experiences and equally good results from their visits.  I hope Baz's appointment works out ok as i heard a whisper yesterday from a very well informed source that elective surgery in a Leeds hospital (I know not its name) is ceasing very shortly (if it hasn't already).  The Good Doctor is on nights from tomorrow so it will be interesting to learn if the Nuffield's orthopaedic surgeons are still getting through elective work at the pace they were last weekend when they were at times outstripping the availability of beds

• Like 16
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Now WHY, WHY WHY did I have go and do the Google thing, good job it's almost Bedtime.:fie:

Oi, get yer mucky paws off....I saw Nurse Linda first.....

Bear has a session at the Dental Hygienist today (postponed from March) so will be needing some very caring 1-1 nursing later.  Just hope my teeth don't go sensitive like they did last time (it did wear off over several weeks) so this time I'll ask them to take it a bit easier.

A few visits to other establishments will be involved also - Screwfix, Toolstation, Stevenage Plumbing, Home Bargains (if it's free of cockwombles).  My cup runneth (sp?) over.

3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

The motor home was not rehomed today. 

When I got in it would not start.  I had done the battery reconnect and all sorts of dash lights came on, but no starter. There is an emergency start switch (to a second battery) but no help. The lady that owns the property came by with her truck and jumper cables but no go.  I could hear a relay click.  So we decided to leave it there til spring.  SWMBO was not overly enthused about the new site anyway. She felt we don't need to pay for a major repair just now.

I don't know enough to diagnose but -- cable off the starter? cable gnawed by rodents? motor kaput?

Other reasons could be (a) poor cable connection due to loose terminal or corrosion (b) jammed starter motor (normally freed up by rocking the vehicle backwards and forwards with it in gear AND the ignition OFF - though being a Motorhome could make this tricky, and I doubt this works with auto tranmissions); also (c) dodgy starter solenoid/relay.

Hope you get it sorted cheaply and easily (and reliably), whatever it is.

• Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Greetings one and all

Today started badly, with cramp in both thighs at half past midnight.  Owwwww.  The only remedy I know is tonic water, of which I have none.  Massaging the offending muscles brought some relief but it took a while forthe pain to subside.  Don't hurry back.  Another not entirely welcome arrival came yesterday in the form of a rectangular package labelled NHS.   I have not yet opend it but believe that it is the kit used for testing for bowel cancer, known to Poorly Pal and myself as the sh!t kit.  How come that one is not allowed to send certain m*d*ll*ng requisites through the post but sending samples of excrement is not only permissible but encouraged?

Talking of Poorly Pal, I plan to have a cuppa with him this afternoon before both our places of domicile end up in  tier 2 or worse.  The car will benefit from a run along the A1 and being topped up with petrol at a lesser price than that demanded nearer home.  I will benefit from getting out of the house for a reason other than shopping.  Yesterday I wrote a bit more of my C*****mas round robin.  Unsurprisingly I am finding it difficult to be positive when describing what has not happened this year.

I got another silent call yesterday and despite advice to the contrary I rang it back.  For once there was no discordant tone followed by the words "The number you have dialled has not been recognised".  Instead it rang out until the voicemail kicked in.  I left a message stating politely that I had received a silent call from that number and that was something I did not appreciate.  I feel better now.

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

This may be of interest to some:

On Monday 2 November at 4.30pm, MPs will debate a petition about the sale of fireworks.

Watch the petition debate on Parliament's YouTube channel:

- see our hardworking and extremely capable MP's at work.....

• Like 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, chrisf said:

How come that one is not allowed to send certain m*d*ll*ng requisites through the post but sending samples of excrement is not only permissible but encouraged?

I guess they'd argue that sh1t doesn't (a) burn easily, and (b) as it's not in an aerosol it's unlikely to burst, showering all around with it's contents (now that could be fun....).

However, none of the above stack up as a reason not to send a tin of acrylic thru' the post......

• Like 3
  • Agree 8