The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

... 'Yours bemused of Chesterfield'

I've been "bemused of Benfleet" with some of the things I've tried to get working on our PC home network. I could not get those network over the mains things to work. I was starting to think I was too dim to install anything but the last two things have worked perfectly and included rather good instructions. Also the wireless adapter was cheaper than running a cable from the router to the lounge.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Rabbit update the bunny now weighs 1.1 kg not bad for a months growth from 0.5 kg.

Last time we weighed them, Albert weighed around 1.8 kg and Trude about 1.4. When we had them have their RHD jabs a few weeks ago, the vet but said they could yet gain some additional weight with no ill effects on their health. I'm not quite sure how to get them to that without actually overfeeding them, however.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the children 20,18 and 15 did it while I wasn't there. They might not be able to fill the dishwasher or empty it for that matter but are clearly IT literate.

When Matthew went back to university he asked during one of his phone calls home if I missed him. I said I did as I now had to load/unload the dishwasher myself. I don't think it would occur to him to do so but he never seems to mind about being asked..

Tony

I could not get those network over the mains things to work.

Not surprising! They're useless...

They also kick out loads of interference. :angry:

Wireless LAN is definitely the next best thing to a cable LAN.

• RMweb Gold

They also kick out loads of interference. :angry:

Wireless LAN is definitely the next best thing to a cable LAN.

My wired network topology would probably upset a professional as it evolved rather than was designed. My new(ish) Wireless N HomeHub does do what it said (faster stronger wireless!) on the advert though! My cabled network is only running at 100 Mbps as although most of the PCs have 1Gigabit interfaces, the switches are 10/100 rated and most of the cable is Cat 5e. I think the new Homehub has one of its network ports rated at 1Gig and if I were really bothered I could replace the cable from the hub to my PC without too much effort. I can't imagine I'd even notice the difference though.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Well, I do like the idea behind it, but I agree that performance with these things really is less than I would expect. As a matter of fact, I myself reverted from PowerLAN to WLAN on my desktop computer this spring, and have not regretted it.

• RMweb Gold

How did you do that Tony?

All my double posts are consecutive

Must be my super new high speed network or perhaps a magnetic monopole wandered by or more likely I did something stupid?

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Well, I do like the idea behind it, but I agree that performance with these things really is less than I would expect. As a matter of fact, I myself reverted from PowerLAN to WLAN on my desktop computer this spring, and have not regretted it.

It appears that the connection from my wireless-N router to a wireless N equipped laptop is faster than my cabled connection on this PC. However when I had the auto channel option on the wireless router selected it was very unreliable and often dropped the speed substantially.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

It appears that the connection from my wireless-N router to a wireless N equipped laptop is faster than my cabled connection on this PC. However when I had the auto channel option on the wireless router selected it was very unreliable and often dropped the speed substantially.

Tony

As I also operate a repeater due to having to cover three floors I needed to set my router to a fixed channel anyway, so I cannot say how my router does on the auto channel setting. According to its user interface I am usually getting between 270 and 300 MBit on my desktop, which just about maxes out the N standard.

Morning my fellow insomniacs....:D

How are we this ungodly hour?

Jusr finished supper and sitting down to watch the 6 o'clock news - thanks for asking.:D

In that case, good evening pH...B)

Just 2.00am here and I'm trawling through Google looking for guidance on unfair dismissal for an old friend. Poor guy, made one mistake after 16 years with the same employer and has been suspended whilst further investigation is made. I'd put it at 1:100 that he is guilty of any wrongdoing other than human error. He's taking the rap for one of his staff, so it all seems a bit suspicious and of course the chances of him finding another job in his 60's are just about zero.

Can't say anymore at this stage, other than it's devastating for him and his family.

Guest Max Stafford

That sort of carry on really disgusts me Gordon. This is potentially someone in management looking for an excuse to get rid of an older (ie expensive) staff ,member. But trying to avoid making a redundancy payout. If so, they may be facing one much larger than they tried to avoid.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all (or appropriate time zone greetings)

I checked my bank account earlier and an insurance company have taken an annual premium two months running even after allegedly sorting it out making me overdrawn. I can talk to a man at the bank after midnight but I'll have to wait until 8am to phone the culprits!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

... someone in management looking for an excuse to get rid of an older (ie expensive) staff ,member.

Dave.

When admin went electronic in education one of the software packages had a little budget calculator showing the relative costs of staff. It wasn't "meant" to be used to look at the savings available by replacing senior staff with newly qualified but I suspect it may have. I can remember an announcement in one staff meeting about funding that there wouldn't need to be any redundancies assuming "no-one got pregnant".

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Still quite sleepy, which I guess should not surprise me at this hour... :laugh: Sky looks overcast and there's a chance of rain from about noon on. I'll need to do some tidying up and then pack a few things for my weekend stay in Leipzig.

Gordon – I hope things can be sorted out in your friend's case. This does sound like somebody may be trying to stick it to him... :unsure:

Cheers everyone...

Morning All,

It is rather grey here today, and looking like rain to be honest.

I'm just having a cup of coffee before taking the little guy to school, and then heading into the office.

Have a good day everyone...