The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Am I the only one to think that the censoring software used on RMWeb is a bit overzealous and a tad absurd? I understand the need to avoid/prevent the posting of obscenities and derogatory epithets, but when common-or-garden, and innocuous, phrases and words are censored, it becomes a puritanical absurdity.

The software isn't clever enough to pick up words contained in attachments though, as I discovered when posting the attachment featuring a dog driving a car a few days ago.  Though I'm not sure how many of you noticed that part of the photo....

• Like 4
  • Funny 9

52 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all

I had a littie fun with a cold-caller yesterday.  She started to rabbit on about warranties for electrical appliances.  I asked her where she got my number, for it is ex-directory.  "It's on the list in front of me".  Oh, yes: what appliances do you think I have, and what brand?  "A washing machine and a fridge freezer".  I did not recognise the brand she named and - the good bit - I do not have a washing machine.  You have been misinformed, madam.  Goodbye [hangs up].

I agree with Flavio about the profanity filter.  For me its most irritating appearance is when the unsuspecting poster enters the three letter Latin word meaning "with", as in Chorlton-***-Hardy.  Let it be banished at the next software upgrade.  Please!  This  gives me the opportunity to share a politically incorrect joke.   A young lady from Essex took a dress into her local dry-cleaners and pointed to the blotch that she wanted removed.  She mumbled something that the man behind the counter did not quite catch.  "Come again?" he asked.  The girl replied: "No, luvvie, it's salad cream this time".

Best wishes to all

Chris

The profanity filter! I long for it to rest in peace!

So much 'real' comedy (not the carp that seems to proliferate these days) was based on the double entendre and innuendo (The Carry On films were fine examples of these techniques!). Let's see what the wretched PF makes of this:

A girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre so the barman gives her one.

Happy pivot day!

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 12
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

I see that the Royal Mail are now offering a parcel collection service for 72p (Couriers have been doing it for some time).  I imagine many Post Offices gradually will disappear as a result due to more lost trade.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!  Again!

Got back to sleep but woken by her indoors with a mugatea as we have plumbers due soon.

My vertical farming ad is now an ad for Dottobus.. ame mow for a new Land Rover Defender 110 D240..

There are , unfortunately,  a few people on most websites which require a filter to be in place. The few cause problems for the many..

Chuckinitdarn so it will be a day mostly inside while the plumbers do rheir work.

Have a great day!

Baz

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Staining readily at the moment and will do for most of the day.

The Boss mentioned the G word before she realised how wet it was outside.  Plan B will be put into action but she hasn't er planned it yet.

Track painting continued across the widest part of the layout but eventually my back told me to stop.  This coincided with the arrival of a parcel from Sheffield.  (No Mick it wasn't one of those* }   Very nice looking "thing" inside which was immediately put on the track for testing........and then the problems started.   Works fine on plain track but does not like some of my points which is rather annoying as all my other "things" don't seem to have a problem with them.

Further investigations will take place today.

The Rugby Premiership Final on Saturday between Exeter and Wasps has been hit by Covid.   Seven Wasps players have tested positive and they're awaiting results of further tests today  to decide whether or not they can take part, if not their place will be taken by Bristol.

Time for a breakfast of soft boiled eggs and "soldiers."

Have a good one,

Bob.

* It's one of these but at the lower price they were offering last week.:  https://railsofsheffield.com/search?searchTerm=6110

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chrisf said:

...snip... A young lady from Essex took a dress into her local dry-cleaners and pointed to the blotch that she wanted removed. ...snip...

Best wishes to all

Chris

I remember the first time that I heard that one; but a former First Lady was the subject. :jester:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I see that the Royal Mail are now offering a parcel collection service for 72p (Couriers have been doing it for some time).  I imagine many Post Offices gradually will disappear as a result due to more lost trade.

The U. S. Post office has been doing that for as long as I can remember and at no charge. The regular carrier picks it up on their route. If it is a letter (or fits in the mailbox), just raise the flag on the side of the box.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s looking very dull outside, it’s not raining at the moment, but we’ve obviously had some overnight rain as the dining room skylight is wet. 

Sheila is off later to meet up with some of her Zumba friends for a coffee, before that little treat is cancelled again. While she’s out, I’ll set up a casserole for tonight’s tea and then head off to the workshop where I hope to spend the rest of the day. 

We've been assured by Vickie that Max is fine, by mid afternoon he was driving her up the wall, no change there then! I think the only damage was his pride. As for the car seats, well they’re leather and very easily cleaned, but thankfully that wasn’t necessary. 

I was told a rather good ‘insult’ many years ago from a former work colleague when we worked together in the steel industry, which is basically saying ‘stop annoying me, you thick git’ without using a single rude or swear word. 

It goes something like this

”are you insinuating I should tolerate such diabolical insolence, from one who’s educational capacity is insufficiently developed to comprehend my meaning?”

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 13
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Apologies for this but the best (or worst depending on how you take it) insult I ever heard was one used by our old yard foreman to lorry drivers at my first place of work.   "The best part of you ran down your father's leg!"

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

' morning all from red dragon land.

Got up this morning. looked out of the window and started singing this....

I feel a bit brighter, now.

Fitt :training: and :danced: Elfie perking up.

Hope your day goes with a swing.

Take care and play safe.  :friends:  :drink_mini:  Just watch out for the socially distancing censors... :jester:

Best wishes

Polly

'Er indoors out of the misty moisty mizzle

Edited by southern42
Text correction (it bet)!
  • Like 15
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I quite agree with Flavio about profanity filters, they can be a pain in the rear orifice at times. As many used to operate in American English you found that you couldn't use a three letter slang word for a cigarette but you could use English words such as b0ll0cks. Back in the 80's an Englishman living in California actually had the b word as his licence plate. Farcebook allows the most appalling language as well as racist/Islamophobic/Homophobic remarks but try posting a pic with a female nipple and they come down on you like a ton of bricks. Speaking of Farcebook.

57 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning.

I see the old facebook fix has been unfixed by facebook, and re-fixed again by old facebook...... :wacko: for now. 

The new version is impossible for me as new posts immediately take me back to the top, meaning I only ever get to read posts as they are made.....something wrong.  The old facebook fix is still working for now.

Its fixed for now if your using Firefox but Google Chrome will take some time, as they apparently do with everything. I use both browsers and Farcebook are offering 48 hours on the old layout (but you've got to find it first). It pops up when you go into a group (top left).

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Blimey Keith,  the little sods had a go at both bridges then!  :D

Nah, three bridges.......two duplicates......

Was pressing buttons left, right and centre in my haste to get to the Tip before it started raining again.... and that I succeeded in doing :D.

Just had news that I've been able to refinance my equity release to take advantage of the current low interest rates. Only problem is that I won't benefit, my brother, his daughter and grandsons will!!

Keith

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 
It isn’t “misty moisty” here, it is raining and has been for some time. 
Not a lot happening. It is recycling collection so our front lawn looked quite colourful with the pink bags and our rarely used bright yellow box for glass. Aditi thought there were enough jam jars and yoghurt pots to make it worth putting out. Sometimes neighbours add to it if they have too many bottles for their own box. 
Tony

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Talking of profanity filters.

image.png

I noticed that “sobriety tag” devices are being used in Wales now for those who have committed crimes under the influence. Don’t think it shocks though, just tests and reports 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

I don't know why, but when I started to write this post the reply box suddenly presented me with a post I made at least a month ago - bizarre.

The auto-censor is indeed both stupid and annoying and I despair at whoever designed it as well as whichever cockwomble approved its use.

I guess that the so-called 'vertical' farming is what was previously known as hydroponics? If so, it has been in use in the Falklands for at least 25 years.

Having been a good boy this morning and gone to the market early enough to escape crowds, I will be allowed into the workshop later. We are starting to get a lot more Covid cases around here now and our next door neighbours are self-isolating having been in contact with someone who has tested positive. A bit too close for comfort and a stark reminder to be very careful methinks.

Have a good humpday (the auto thingy wanted to change that to humpback) everyone.

Dave

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7