The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Winning joke from 2009 Edinburgh fringe:

Hedgehogs, why can't they just share the hedge?

Re Daves black bin hedgehog house - there'd be a battle for ownership between Redback spiders and brown snakes if  built here..

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Excellent.. meat laziz..

Another one for Aditi to add to her “never heard of it” list.  We had a look at a recipe and she thought it looked more like Pakistani than Indian. We once went to lunch with some colleagues of hers who were from Peshawar originally and they did Afghan influenced food for us.  Quite different again 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Ah, pub lock-ins - i wonder if they were still going on in recent years (pre Covid)?  We used to do rather well for them here nots withstandng the preseence of the poleeece in the town centre (that dates things for a start) as one or two pubs were known for it.  I rarely left my usual 'local' on a saturday night - it was usually the early hours of Sunday morning.

we also had the benefit of not only being right on the county border but on the other side of it the nearest village bobby on that side of the line was 4 miles away and apart from having local pubs there to keep an eye on only had a push bike for transport.  Thus there was a regular traffic across the river when the pubs on our side closed at night and a friendly knock on the door on the other side would gain you admittance as long as you were known to the landlady.  The plod on our side could do nothing about it although every now and then they would go in for a spot of weekend overtime and position themselves at the town end of the bridge and stand by to arrest any drunks coming back over especially if they happened to be pushing or riding a bike.

But it all ended when the county forces amalgamated to become TVP and the coppers from our side of the river could legitimately start checking up on the two pubs on the other side, which ruined the trade in one of the pubs over there causing it to be shut down.   But they never normally interfered with any lock ins - after all they were just friends having a free drink after hours so no law was being broken.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Some here will approve of it, others not so much.  It is green and has two words beginning with G & W printed on the side.

Have a good one,

Bob.

One of these?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/365809/hattons_originals_h4_66_019_class_66_66418_in_freightliner_powerhaul_livery_patriot_/stockdetail.aspx

66418 at Ipswich

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Farcebook have been and gone and done it, turned off the old Farcebook. I've been trying to make some sense of it and I've found a few bits that are helpful but most of it is carp. There is now no indication of any new posts on a group or how many new posts, and of course everything has to be in their beloved sh!t order. Now to see if I can make any sense of it.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

Almost 7 hours sleep so far,  Just a short break some where in the middle... 

5 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Good evening everyone 

Just like yesterday, today didn't quite go as planned! I did manage to get in the workshop and I did manage to make a start painting the well of the turntable, but I didn’t get as far as I would have liked. At about 1:15, I decided to stop what I was doing and go and get something to eat, but as I was walking up the cellar stairs to head into the kitchen to make my dinner my phone rang, it was Sheila. Apparently, as she was walking back home from the hairdressers, she came across Max, looking rather bloodied and shaken. He had been riding his bike and had draped his hoodie over his handlebars. Inevitably, the sleeves became loose and then hot entangled round his front wheel, resulting in the wheel locking up and him going over the handlebars! Luckily he wasn’t badly injured, he had just cut his lip, but the blood seemed to be everywhere. A couple of ladies who were passing by had stopped to help him, as they were doing so, he spotted Sheila walking by and shouted to her. After thanking with the two ladies who were helping him I was called and asked if I’d could walk round to where they were and see if I could untangle his hoodie and check his bike out. That was a relatively easy task, the bike was fine and I was easily able to untangle the hoodie, which miraculously wasn’t damaged either, but Max was still a little bit shook up so we all ended up walking back to our house. I then put Max and his bike in the boot of the car and we then drove him home. 

Goodnight all. 

I'm assuming you didn't want blood on the seats, so that's why you put him in the boot..

I awoke with the usual complaints  of the joints in my hands,  and my lower back with the arrival of rain. I note vesterday's seaweed twirler estimates, stated yellow rain from midnight , however the radar is now showing it just arriving.. This was the former Spanish storm Barbara.. 

I had problems the other day on a small scale bits of parallel bits of metal site where it kept changing

c o c k u p into large male chicken up..

However the worst I get is now at work, the latest lab computer I was issued with has full parental controls set,  with no option to change,  for instance I can't start searching for model railways as the word "model" is blocked . Sometimes it just blocks odd combinations of words,  coming up with a full page warning Screen and you're just sat there wondering why?

Usually a reformat of the words gets round it,  but it does get difficult when you're search for an item or information .. 

Since I'm awake and ready to move  slightly earlier than usual a bacon and egg breakfast calls

Time too get the pan warmed up... 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Ey up! Her indooes is awake.. so am I now...pah!

An interesting (?) Ad on this page for me this morning.."Vertical Farming" from an investment firm..yer wot??

Now to try for some more sleep..

Baz

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Vertical farming is already taking place,  both on farms and In strange things like shipping containers in Paris,  basically trays of plants,  being fed by fertilizer carrying water lit by optimum timed led  lighting. Enables salad generation all year round,  and at an economic price. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 13