The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning, just been informed by phone that a fault has been found on my internet and I MUST press 5 or 9 on my phone to connect to BT save me being cut off.................I didn't answer it, their machine left a message on my answer phone, now reported to BT as a scam.

Weathers proper dreich today, no idea what the day will bring, Sainsbugs delivering comestibles in a bit, could be the highlight of the day.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

As requested by Polybear, here are some photographs of the hedgehog house I made with advice from our local hedgehog expert. It's simply a black plastic bin with the bottom cut off and inverted, then a hole cut in to take a piece of drainpipe that is just gaffer taped on. It is then half filled with dry straw and the lid put on what is now the top and held there with a small sandbag. Opposite is a feeding station made from a recycling box (as supplied by our council) with a similar entrance tunnel made from drainpipe also gaffer taped in place with a sauceer of hedgehog food inside. The gap between the tunnel mouths is about 12 inches or so. The ensemble is placed in a quiet and sheltered corner of the garden. So far I haven't looked to see whether the food has been taken but will do so later. I also aim to put a piece of straw across the entrance to the house as a telltale to see whether anything has gone in.

Is there any way of preventing nefarious rodents from moving in?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately not that I know of but the chap who showed me what to make seemed to think that the setup was particularly attractive to hedgehogs and once one had taken up residence it was fairly safe.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 12

Sadly we have no hogs of hedge here. We have cats, pigeons, and foxes. 

One thing SWMBO spotted from her hedgehog group on FB is to avoid the hedgehog houses from Aldi. These are made of willow bent into an igloo shape. The trouble is the poor little hedgehogs get their spines stuck to the roof, and can lead to injuries and starvation. 

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/06/animal-rescue-charity-calls-for-ban-on-aldi-hedgehog-houses-after-reports-of-injuries-13381758/ 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning G'day all,

Alas no hedgepigs in our garden for many years although one or two might lurk in winter in my big bonfire heaps - which therefore need to be shifted and sorted before burning.  the youngsters are vulnerable to attack but the adults can easily look after themselves and just roll up into a very spiny ball if threatened so dogs and foxes soon learn not to bother.  They certainly don't mind cats as we have had both happily co-existing in our previous garden and the foxes there didn't bother them either.  Incidentally from what we have observed in the past hedgehogs are very fond of cat food, especially Whiskas, although the same can be said of foxes and Red Kites (if Kev the Kite is an example).

As far as Halloween is concerned in our part of the world it seemed to get ever more popular as Bonfire Night ceased to be a family thing and moved mainly towards organised displays.  and no doubt teh supermarkets increasingly catering for it with costumes and 'buckets' of popular sweets etc has no doubt helped considerably.  We stopped taking part last year and will continue that tradition this year so our once much admired decorations will not be there and the message that we are 'closed' to trick or treaters will be conveyed by  closed gates and a lack of lights by the front path and in the porch.  And maybe the grasping parents who ferry their offspring in from elsewhere will get a much greater message this year that they aren't welcome in the town - Covid might actually be delivering something advantageous for once.

Slightly more debatable in respect of Covid's good or bad points is that the town's Christmas Fayre has been cancelled for this year.  Something of a double edged sword I think as the pubs and eateries will no doubt suffer (but equally folk won't have to worry about eating Wozza's burnt hot dog sausages and burgers - Wozza = Anthony Worrall Thompson, the well known - shoplifting - chef);  all the street food traders who come into the town won't be here plying us with dubious comestibles  such as incorrectly cooked wurst;  the fairground operator will miss out on a booking; and the street purveyors of cheap tat will not have the pleasure of making money out of the locals.  But otherwise I suspect many of the shops won't suffer unduly as normal retail shopping levels seem to be continuing thus far and at least the place won't be immovably crowded.  Oh, and the council won't have to close various streets or spend a fair bit of cash clearing up the mess after folk after gone home.

Have a good day and hopefully keep clear of the rain.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, chrisf said:

Snip... 

How I envy PhilJW for having a regular source of bread pudding.  I have only seen it once in my local Tesco.  On my last visit they had no fruit pies.  Shame!  I will find out soon enough what else is out of stock.

Bread pudding - my mum’s recipe.
697DE77B-341E-4FE3-9C3F-792FB5B66F31.jpeg.db9d1e6e2df779fc52e11d572b3392b8.jpeg

Nothing to stop you using 8oz bread and scaled down ingredients for smaller size. 12 oz bread did family of four for two days IIRC.

Polly

Edit.  Regulo 4 or 350F / 140C 

Edited by southern42
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

my sister has a hedgepig house in her garden.. she hopes the one who moved back in recently is teh same one she had last year.

A trick she has had to use though is to put a little brick "chicane " at the entrance. The hedge pig can get in.. the foxes can't!

Baz

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/10/2020 at 07:26, TheQ said:

snip...

Today is the start of the winter sailing season,  the winter club is running a reduced programme of two race series each race day. The maximum number of people 30 is not a problem for normal events as that's about what we get.  No. Use of changing rooms,  come to the club pre clothed for sailing.

The good news is the tea bar will be running,  but in a different format,  a one way system to the tea bar,  get your food / tea,  go to a seat.  Unmask,  eat/ drink,  mask on, return cups and plates to a collection point.. Go to boat.  Most importantly bacon butties will be served. 

I won't be sailing again this winter as I'll be working on the boat. So I'm going to varnish the stern this morning,  then go to the club,  arriving after the races have started,  pay this winters membership,  get a bacon butty and Muggacoffee,  watch some of the racing then depart. 

snip...

Sailing used to be a part of my life so I have a right mixture of memories, from being tipped off a 1960s dinghy into the water at a mooring and walking through black slimy sand mud in my old tennis shoes on the way back to camp to relaxing in the cockpit of a small yacht watching the sun going down in the Irish Sea with a live music band playing on the beach across the bay.  But the other half of the year brings other memories...stripping boats down and doing them up again for the next season.

When I was a kid there was a story I really loved.  Eventually, I sat down and drafted my own version about getting 'a little red boat ready to sail on the water.'  Years passed until I came across it filed away on a shelf.  Come Lockdown and I began to revise each line, one by one, tweaking it here and there, adding and subtracting, changing and modifying...until I was satisfied (am I ever?) with it.  Prime target - you would have to be able to read it out loud so it should not sound awkward...and, hopefully, both child and adult would enjoy it, after all, it is based on a children's story...!

Previously unpublished

A Chicken Sailing Club Story.pdf

Fingers crossed...I have not written anything like this before!

Polly

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear plans to wire the gate latch to 3-phase, and if that doesn't dissuade the little bleeders then perhaps the doorbell activated freezing cold shower will.

Or indeed double the ingredients to make it Bear-sized.  I understand that Hippo-sized requires the use of a calculator.

And a crane

• Funny 17

The day is slowly drifting away,

"where has it gone?" said the little one.
Until next week, we'll let Tuesday rest,
Because the longest day, Wednesday, is best.

Spent 5 minutes on that :P

Back waiting on the model railway front but for people this time.

But Mrs TH did get me some of those spikey things for the end of platforms, as well as stairs and speed limit signs as it was my birthday a couple of days ago.

She's a good 'un.

Might have a go at that bread pudding.
I can put vanilla with it!

Edited by Sir TophamHatt
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, southern42 said:

Sailing used to be a part of my life so I have a right mixture of memories, from being tipped off a 1960s dinghy into the water at a mooring and walking through black slimy sand mud in my old tennis shoes on the way back to camp to relaxing in the cockpit of a small yacht watching the sun going down in the Irish Sea with a live music band playing on the beach across the bay.  But the other half of the year brings other memories...stripping boats down and doing them up again for the next season.

When I was a kid there was a story I really loved.  Eventually, I sat down and drafted my own version about getting 'a little red boat ready to sail on the water.'  Years passed until I came across it filed away on a shelf.  Come Lockdown and I began to revise each line, one by one, tweaking it here and there, adding and subtracting, changing and modifying...until I was satisfied (am I ever?) with it.  Prime target - you would have to be able to read it out loud so it should not sound awkward...and, hopefully, both child and adult would enjoy it, after all, it is based on a children's story...!

Previously unpublished

A Chicken Sailing Club Story.pdf 57.13 kB · 2 downloads

Fingers crossed...I have not written anything like this before!

Polly

Screen-Shot-2016-04-20-at-08.19.35.png

• Like 16

Hedgehogs.

What endearing (and useful) little beasties. I once was able to get extremely close to one when visiting Mrs iD's friend in St Gallen - who is a vet. A kind soul had found the injured animal and brought it (no idea if he or she) to the vet for treatment. Our friend mentioned that, whilst otherwise harmless, hedgehogs can be infested with fleas which in turn can carry disease.

Lucy and Schotty are both "Hedgehog Friendly" (some dogs are not) and if they come across one will have a good sniff and do little else. In fact, shortly after getting Schotty, I was taking him for a short P&S (piddle and sniff) before bed, when I was dragged - at high speed - across the lawn in front of an apartment block to some ornamental bushes ,  where he had spotted/smelt a Hedgehog.

I can't vouch for the veracity of the old adage "how do Hedgehogs mak3 l0ve? - very carefully", but I can vouch for the fact that their c0itus is quite noisy: I was once awakened by what sounded like an animal screaming in the garden, but the beam of a powerful torch revealed two Hedgehogs in flagrante delicto... (having said that, apparently can only take place when a female Hedgehog is receptive, otherwise the vulgarism "what a pr1ck" takes on a rather painful [and literal] meaning for the amorous swain)

Edited by iL Dottore
Stupid censoring software took out “mak3 l0ve” and c0itus
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

so .. while the Marie Celeste sails on.. I still haven't heard from them about my incorrect prescription.. tomorrow I am going to call them ..and see if I can get an "emergency" review... I don't like doing it .. but the lack of info from them is positively stress making!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

a result (no not from the Marie Celeste!) but from Currys PCWorld Team Know How.. having asked to cancel a support contract today I ..... talked to a real Human Bring. She sorted it all out very quickly.. apparently working from home has made life "problematic" as people have tried to not follow process..... money is on its way! Yipppeeeddddooo!

Baz

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Hedgehogs.

What endearing (and useful) little beasties. I once was able to get extremely close to one when visiting Mrs iD's friend in St Gallen - who is a vet. A kind soul had found the injured animal and brought it (no idea if he or she) to the vet for treatment. Our friend mentioned that, whilst otherwise harmless, hedgehogs can be infested with fleas which in turn can carry disease.

I wonder if Brexit will see the end of rules such as this one - i do hope so:

https://www.secretworld.org/2019/01/eu-regulation-1143-2014-the-invasive-alien-species-enforcement-and-permitting-order-2019

In other news:

Bear's modelling room is now back to normal once more :yahoo:- floor down/cabinet & workbench in place/tidied up/cleaned, albeit with still a lot of stuff stored on some of the worktops due to the kitchen refurbishment.  Other highlights :no: included changing the sheets on the bed, doing the washing and going down the Co-op.  Not sure I can cope with such excitement too often.....

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1