The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

13 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

think that the “school prom”, along with Halloween and some of the more distasteful aspects of the so-called “culture wars“ are imports and part of the gradual Americanisation of British life.

I rather think that that Americanisation has already happened!  Apart from the 'railway station' supporters, who will go their graves murmuring, "its railway stations".....................!:)

Compared with what is there now, life in the UK was still behind that of Western Europe or the US even in the sixties when I left.  Certainly pleasant but missing a lot. Returning on holiday there was a gradual progression in the standard of living and also regression in certain aspects.  On the whole, the UK has benefitted from its 'special alliance' to the US over the years but be wary of any more trump like politicians who don't share the same sentiment as their predecessors.

Brian.

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I made my hedgehog house today out of a plastic bin and a piece of large diameter drainpipe for an entrance tunnel as advised by our local hedgehog rescue person and half filled it with dry straw then went out to get some hedgehog food and put it near the entrance. I now live in hope that we will have a little lodger for the winter.

Any pictures please?  I have a Harry Hedgehog that visits most night for din dins, though his visits have been a bit sporadic over the past few days.  He did spend the night once; I'd quite like a Harry House too, in the hope that he may stay.

Bear

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

If the photo was taken in  fairly recent days she was almost certainly on her way to St.ives

Taken on Wednesday last week.  I thought I recognised her from an earlier posting of yours, Mike.  

The internet is slower than a geriatric snail with a zimmer frame today.  I shall therefore abandon and hope for better tomorrow.   "High speed cable-to-the-home internet" my ****.  

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 45156 said:

Not even the full lineup as Maggie Adams, who has a voice like warm velvet and then some, was missing and she adds a lot to the overall sound when she's available - here she is heading the same band in don't worry baby, which I might have posted before, but hey. it's real quality for a non pro band who are not in it for the money

Ah yes, that's the girl that reminds me of a young Mrs H.  Said wifey unfortunately doesn't have a singing voice though - in the slightest!

They're very good aren't they, muchly impressed.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, brianusa said:

I rather think that that Americanisation has already happened!  Apart from the 'railway station' supporters, who will go their graves murmuring, "its railway stations".....................!:)

Compared with what is there now, life in the UK was still behind that of Western Europe or the US even in the sixties when I left.  Certainly pleasant but missing a lot. Returning on holiday there was a gradual progression in the standard of living and also regression in certain aspects.  On the whole, the UK has benefitted from its 'special alliance' to the US over the years but be wary of any more trump like politicians who don't share the same sentiment as their predecessors.

Brian.

The UK has a history of innovation: rugby, cricket, the hovercraft, the jump jet, the tilting train to name but a few. They tend to get so far before getting bogged down and unable to progress. The Italians turned the APT tilting train into a very successful Pendolino; them across the pond developed the jump jet and saw the potential of the hovercraft (I am always aware of the way in which the Canadian Coastguard uses the bow-door version of the British designed AP188 Well Deck variant for retrieving casualties from the water!)

As for the station naming, I have a dilemma that if a Railway Station hosts trains then should a "Bus Station" be known as a Road Station? (I'm not even going anywhere a DEEEEEEEEEPO!) Inconsistencies abound an habits persist!

Vive la difference?

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

We had Hallowee  turnip lanterns in the North East when I was young. You hollowed out the turnip...cut a scary set of eyes and a mouth, added a candle and a string handle..and off you went "Jack shine the Maggie" ... none of this "trick or treat" carp!

And no..that didn't come from America..or Scotland.. my dad remembered doing it when he was young.

Bas

I remember carving turnips - a very lengthy process and tough on young hands. Pumpkins are much easier.

I wasn’t implying Halloween traditions started in Scotland. They are older than ‘Scotland’, being based in Celtic lore. Northeast England was Celtic before the Romans arrived and apparently there was a Celtic influence there at least until the Anglo-Saxon invasions. So it’s likely that some traditions were handed down from that time.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I did consider dipping pickled onions in chocolate ans leaving them out for the little blight er imean darlings out of sheer devilment

I read that as a reply to this bit of Stationmaster’s post immediately above it:

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

... the little s*d has brought in an effin mouse and the ruddy thing has hidden behind the fridgamd freezer.  A humane trap has been baited with chocolate so we'll await developments ...

I thought - I’ve never heard of that for mice bait!

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

Even when I was younger you couldn't get a pumpkin round here, we had to have a carved turnip. There is a farm shop near here that does pick your own pumpkins now last year they caused massive tailbacks from folk going. I can't see that happening this year, they are opening. There is also near Sharlston a scare grounds which involves paying out to have actors scare the bejesus out of you wether they open or not i don't know if was always a to let only sell out and it's outdoor.

At the council one of the gardeners wife was not a pretty picture and that is been kind of was rumoured that she was taken round trick or treating and came back with a bin liner fullof swag. He also.lives near the haunted house in Ponte. It was suggested when Most Haunted went he sent the Mrs up so there was something genuinely scary.

It is also coming up to the second anniversary of Mr disasters most public cock up.

He was an unlucky soul promoted for failure as often happened at the Council he played the wrong music after a service at the  crematorium. He was tasked with sourcing wood for the showpiece Wakefield bonfire well instead of getting the pallets saved and dry wood from the tips he bought some in that was wet through.and wouldn't light leaving the Mayor and leader of the Council with egg on there faces he then got promoted to another department.

The names of the above have been with held to save any embarrassment

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Even when I was younger you couldn't get a pumpkin round here, we had to have a carved turnip. There is a farm shop near here that does pick your own pumpkins now last year they caused massive tailbacks from folk going. I can't see that happening this year, they are opening.

Farmer Copley's my grandaughter has just been taken there and ended up with a pumpkin nearly as big as she is. I'll try and post a photo.

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Spent half an hour at the G word this afternoon, that required a couple of hours eyelid inspection afterwards. No chance of hedgehogs around here I'm afraid, too many busy roads and foxes. Apparently the local Tess Coes will have bread pudding available tomorrow so thats another trip out. Thats all for now, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Today has turned out to be one of those, despite my intention to spending the day in the workshop, that hope just never came to pass. I’d just picked up the workshop keys and I was just about to open the door and head down the garden path to the workshop when I got a phone call from ‘The Christie’ informing me that I was being issued with a prescription for some pre-injection medication and it would be best if I could collect it. I naively asked, where do I collect it from, the doctor didn’t know, adding that he would find out and call me back in 5 minutes with the answer. 30 minutes later he called back informing me that I can collect it from the pharmacy, adding that it wouldn’t be available until after 12 o’clock. By then it was just after 10:30, so I decided to potter in the cellar for an hour, until it was time to go. 

Various roadworks delayed both my journey there and back resulting in a later dinner. So it wasn’t worth doing anything else, so I sat and rad for the rest of the afternoon. 

I called at Vickie’s to drop them off some of the apples I picked off the tree yesterday. Then I called at the pharmacy to drop of my repeat prescription request and finally I completed the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix. 

Rick mentioned Gurnard’s Head yesterday, a place (and pub) I knew very well. Back in the mid 70’s, myself and a group of friends would rent a cottage a couple of hundred yards from said pub. We’d spend particularly (the missing nights were spent at the Blue Anchor in Helston) every evening of our 2 weeks holiday in there. We especially enjoyed the adjacent ‘barn’ which had a pool table, and jukebox in. However, we’d always head back into the main pub for around 10 o’clock and spend the rest of the evening chatting to Jimmy, the owner of the pub, as he’d done his wartime military training in Manchester, mostly jumping out of aeroplanes and landing in the grounds of Tatton Park. We had several memorable and very enjoyable ‘lock ins’ there too!

Goodnight all 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Taken on Wednesday last week.  I thought I recognised her from an earlier posting of yours, Mike.  

The internet is slower than a geriatric snail with a zimmer frame today.  I shall therefore abandon and hope for better tomorrow.   "High speed cable-to-the-home internet" my ****.  

Definitely on her way to the St Ives wave hub then Rick she spent a couple of days there after the day on which she arrived at St Ives so was probably dealing with all the buoys on the site and they might have had problems.  When we went there a few years back they did a couple in part of one day - and we sailed for Scotland the next morning (being diverted to Ireland on the way).

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BokStein said:

...snip... As for the station naming, I have a dilemma that if a Railway Station hosts trains then should a "Bus Station" be known as a Road Station? (

Hmmm, if trains stop at a train station and buses stop at a bus station; well, I have a work station on my desk! :yahoo_mini:

• Funny 14