The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The beast has fierce brakes.. but it also has some dynamic braking which pushes the energy from braking into the batteries..works very well.. so going down hill set to "B5" and it will mean very little brake pedal need be applied.

Baz

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

the Gasman has been.. new pump fitted.. radiator valve unstuck.. just waiting for the paperwork..

Meanwhile it has been chuckinitdarn on and off all afternoon.. PAH!

Baz

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

HUMP day... excellent, I suppose :O

Uneventful yesterday, simply another 24-hours knocked off the calendar.

This AM a <RANT> - with the weather moving towards our autumn/winter schedule, more wet mornings, generally light rain, but ENOUGH to render the newspaper (even though it's supposedly protected in a plastic bag) suitable for some papier-mache scenery sculpting!  I've told these folks before, and TODAY they get the final warning;

I've been provided with a newspaper delivery box (optional) and if they don't step up with better delivery it WILL be installed right by the front door. The guy who currently delivers the paper, driving past and normal road speed and flinging the paper out the drivers side window as he passed (wonderfully captured on my new security camera :) :) ) will soon have to STOP, GET OUT of his car and WALK the 60ft. to the box! <RANT/SORTED>

Peaceful day otherwise in store, a visit from tree trimmers later to get an estimate for the back yard large maple "haircut".

8 and rainy heading for 18 and mostly an overcast rainy day apparently.

Onward...

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

The beast has fierce brakes.. but it also has some dynamic braking which pushes the energy from braking into the batteries..works very well.. so going down hill set to "B5" and it will mean very little brake pedal need be applied.

Baz

Does it also have DRS to help with overtaking sprints?

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

unfortunately no.. but the engine winds up the battery charger as well as driving the electric motors direct..

Baz

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

My car ( petrol not hybrid) can display all sorts of information about driving style and fuel efficiency but I usually get it to display the clock instead. 

Probably a good move. My son has the same model of car as me, and showed me all the possible information screens. They are addictive and, unless you are very disciplined,  can be quite distracting.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

Afternoon all.

Having a mixed day today.

Found out I am banned from purchasing from a cheap(ish) retailer as I raised a PayPal case against them a few years back.

The item I had delivered was damaged and they didn't want to accept a return.  Were only forced to when PayPal intervened (despite many emails between us).  Not entirely bothered as they're a little on the dodgy anyway.  Have DPA'd / GDPR'd for all the details they hold on me, will be interesting to see what comes back - although considering they didn't want to accept the return of a damaged product, I doubt they'll follow the law properly here either.  I also wonder if I ask them to erase all details (apart from payment info, which they must keep for 7 years), which I can do under DPA, whether I'd be able to create a new account and order something.

However, another issue that I thought was going to be a lot harder than it was has very nearly been resolved.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, TheQ said:

May I recommend the First Saturday in October, as a return ticket from Hoveton to Aylsham on the BVR will get you free into Broadland Model Railway clubs show .

http://broadlandmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/2020-exhibition/  in the Jubilee hall in Alysham. That's a couple of hundred yards from the station. Most of this years cancelled show traders and exhibitors have provisionally agreed to attend in 2021. 

The BVR shop in is the Station at Aylsham and their book shop is at Hoveton..

TheQ, thanks for the exhibition link.  Something to keep in mind for next year.  An hour and a half by car, maybe more, from where we would be visiting.  Not bad for a day out.  I have added it to next year's Calendar!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Simon G said:

Mention of the 204 bus takes me back a bit.  It’s route took at past the Brunel University campus, so I used it frequently in the mid 1970s.  Another bus from Uxbridge towards central London was the 207, which was known locally as the banana bus, as you waited ages for one, then they came in bunches!

snip...

And when they did arrive (at The Grange or Adam and Eve, Hayes) they did not go far enough, commonly turning round at the Adam or terminating at Southall or Hanwell...

Return buses would often end at Hayes End.  Tough if you lived in Hillingdon or Uxbridge.

Yes, I remember those buses well and with great affection!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not much done today (as usual) but the weather up until the weekend means that a bit of the G word is in order.

7 hours ago, chrisf said:

I am reminded of the splendid April Fool joke by Rail magazine which led some gullible readers to believe that BR planned to replace loco numbers with bar codes.  Tee hee.

Chris 

The Railway Magazine had an April fools spoof that the four Peppercorn A1's named after pre-grouping constituents of were to be painted when new in the colours of the companies concerned. 60157 Great Eastern in royal blue with white cab roof and red connecting rods would be quite something to behold.

• Like 15
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I think if someone was tailgating me one second behind at 150mph I would just let them past...

• Agree 12

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think if someone was tailgating me one second behind at 150mph I would just let them past...

I've driven in Kuwait on several occasions - the first time was in a Dodge Charger (think of "The Dukes of Hazzard" - albeit a later model, sadly without Daisy :sad_mini2:).  At 75/80 it's common to have cars so close behind that you can't see the front edge of their bonnet....

For later trips I had big Japanese 4x4's, purely for self preservation.

In other news, and for those with unused Paypal accounts:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/10/paypal-to-introduce-p12-yr-fee-for--inactive--accounts---act-now/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=13-Oct-20-50642849-4967&utm_campaign=nt-oneliners-one&utm_content=1

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, polybear said:

I've driven in Kuwait on several occasions - the first time was in a Dodge Charger (think of "The Dukes of Hazzard" - albeit a later model, sadly without Daisy :sad_mini2:).  At 75/80 it's common to have cars so close behind that you can't see the front edge of their bonnet....

For later trips I had big Japanese 4x4's, purely for self preservation.

In other news, and for those with unused Paypal accounts:

I am sure I don’t imagine it but I always feel as if French motorists seem to drive closer to ones tailgate than I really like.  Also getting very  close before moving out to overtake. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I hired a Dodge Charger in California in 1983. Great in a straight line but going round corners ? :wacko: The next time I drove one was in 1993 in Virginia and not much had changed except the shape. Mind you, compared with the Ford LTD I had for a while when we lived in San Diego in '83/4 the Charger stuck to the road like glue.

Dave 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

This small bear seems to have over-done it a bit, having spent all afternoon working on the bike that conked out last week - after a good walk this morning and other errands too.  The bike is still being naughty, changing the carburettor for an unknown condition spare has exchanged one issue for a different one....#sigh#...but at least we now know the original matter is carburation related....as well as ignition related, I already fixed that problem!  As this is a fiddly job I'm not really looking forward to doing it yet again.  I suppose as it has run faultlessly for 38 years I can't complain too much.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Ricks mention of the London trolleybuses reminded me of the one's that ran in Ilford. They were quite unusual in that some had tinted windows upstairs. This was because they had been built for South Africa but export was not possible due to the war. I also recall riding on a London tram when I was about 2-3 years old. My dad had relatives in South East London and as I recall my sister born in 1951 was still a babe in arms.

• Like 18