The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. 

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The French language group Aditi is part of have been having Zoom meetings. The general IT competence of the membership has increased rapidly. Aditi is also a member of a much larger art group. They had a practice webinar last week. That looked very impressive, 

Tony

The Zoom meeting went rather well. Of the six of us one initially had problems opening up but an e-mail showing what to do soon sorted that out and another had a slight problem due to narrow band width. So we're all set for our committee meeting tomorrow. We did discuss those members who were not on the internet and it came to light that many members were unaware that they could use a tablet or mobile phone to connect with the internet. They have these devices so perhaps we can connect with most of the membership.

17 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

E530B286-6C88-4F60-AB27-1C6D33298EE5.jpeg.e21fdc810f1850584fa71689f8201ae4.jpegChange of subject. ER nature ramblers please advise! This photo will need zooming but can anyone identify the green plant growing on the rock. Taken last week near Loch Ness.

I wondered if it is stonecrop but it doesn’t look like the stonecrop in our books. My nephew sent the photo as he said it was everywhere in Scotland and wondered what it was.  

Sempervivum?

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I think I have seen the same film organised the old system at Wicker arches first then Tinsley but it didn't last for a long time 

Yes - the Dowty retarder (and accelerator) system at Tinsley didn't have a particularly long life - the yard opened in 1965 and according to a Wiki article the hump was closed in 1984 which sounds about right as I knew the chap who managed the frst major rundown of the yard which would have been about then.  Like most of the 1960s large mechanised yards it was opened about 10 years too late to do any good and thus never reached its full potential,  The Dowty system apparently worked quite well but was subject to leaking fluid and it became difficult to obtain spares which, so i was told, led to some of the hump sidings being closed earlier in order to 'rob' working units for the remaining sidings.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

E530B286-6C88-4F60-AB27-1C6D33298EE5.jpeg.e21fdc810f1850584fa71689f8201ae4.jpegChange of subject. ER nature ramblers please advise! This photo will need zooming but can anyone identify the green plant growing on the rock. Taken last week near Loch Ness.

I wondered if it is stonecrop but it doesn’t look like the stonecrop in our books. My nephew sent the photo as he said it was everywhere in Scotland and wondered what it was.  

It looks like a plant called ‘Hair Moss’ (polytrichum commune) which can be found in heaths, bogs, moors and woods. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I managed to get some gardening done today, but I had to stop just before dinner as it started to rain. It was only light rain at first, so I was able to clean and put away all my gardening tools, empty the wheelbarrow and lock the shed up before dinner. As it turned out, it was a good job I did as it soon became proper rain and if I’d left the wheelbarrow until after dinner there would have been quite a bit of water in it too. 

After dinner I stayed in the workshop and started cleaning the workbench that the drill press, grinding wheel and vice are stationed. There were also a few bits on there that were cluttering it up, so homes were found for those items.

After tea I completed the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, there doesn’t seem to be any panic buying at the moment, the shelves looked quite full, but there were still a few not wearing masks properly, what is SO difficult?

Goodnight all 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

It looks like a plant called ‘Hair Moss’ (polytrichum commune) which can be found in heaths, bogs, moors and woods. 

That does look the closest. I’ll get Josh to send the original image rather than the smaller WhatsApp image I copied. Thank you. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

That does look the closest. I’ll get Josh to send the original image rather than the smaller WhatsApp image I copied. Thank you. 

Looks like thats the one:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytrichum_juniperinum

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, BSW01 said:

After tea I completed the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, there doesn’t seem to be any panic buying at the moment, the shelves looked quite full, but there were still a few not wearing masks properly, what is SO difficult?

Their IQ obviously isn't sufficiently high to understand how to operate a face mask.....

In other news:

Bear up at half five, after a cr@p night.  Blood test a 8am, to establish more regarding the chances of my painful hands being down to arthritis.  Then a virus test at ten, purely in the interests of science and to get my voucher.

After that the world is my oyster, as they say.  Which today seems to be sanding down filler, applying more, sorting out plumbing bits* (for which a trip into beamland (the loft) will be necessary, and possibly draining down the CH system in preparation for ripping out some pipework tomorrow.

(* Have you seen the price of plumbing copper solder fittings lately?  Jeez, wish I'd stocked up a few years back.....).

I see that The Orange One has been allowed out on parole.  D1ckhead.  Would hoping for a relapse be uncharitable?

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Still dark and dry but a cloudy day with showers or a bright day with sunny spells and showers are offered depending on which forecast you believe.  I'll believe the wet bit.

I'm due to go to the dentist at 9.00am so I'll take a brolly with me just in case.

A couple of parcels arrived after being delayed including an additional birthday present for The Boss which was much appreciated.  More parcels due today, in fact it is now almost a daily event.  

Nothing else to report and it's time to take some tea to Herself,

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

2 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

We have been to every one of our local beer festivals although there have only been around 13 or so but this years is cancelled. Not happy with CAMRA at the moment as the beer guide isnt coming due to my direct debit failing yet the same details for the annual subscripiton have gone thruogh. Tried ringing them but its an answerphone so tried signing in online but that still doesnt recognise my membership details despite contacting them some months ago and the reply did not resolve it. So last week I emailed them again but no repsonse yet. I can see this membership being cancelled after 30 years. The beer guide is so out of date by the time it is published in normal years so this one will be even worse and the monthly mag is no longer sent out os its online only and I cant access it, not that I read all of it anyway.

So far this year we've managed one beer fest. (Love Beer London back in Feb) We've missed out on 7 others we usually attend. Interesting that the <cough> nice people at CAMRA have been pestering me to come back over the past few weeks. We let our joint membership lapse last year after 15 years. Yet, they are ignoring the attempts of an existing member to renew. Kwalitee. Any beer guide this year will be meaningless with so many pubs either still temporarily closed, partly opened with a massive reduction in selection, or permanently shut. Just found out that Craft Beer Co has axed their Islington location, and about half the Antic pubs will not reopen. 

• Like 16