The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

My all time favourite is the RH&D. I like the towns in that area too like Rye. It all stems back to the "Dr. Syn" movie with Patrick McGoohan...

I do like the RH&D as well. I went a couple of times when I was living in Kent as a student and we took Matthew about 10 years ago. I don't think I've seen the Dr Syn film.

Tony

Well, it's a curious film "Dr. Syn: The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" was originally conceived as a three part Disney film for American TV. It's big budget for the time and the condensed Movie that was released in the UK is actually quite good. McGoohan as Dr. Syn and Geoffrey Keen (I think) as the King's Man. Amazon (it's newly out on DVD with all versions plus a documentary on the myth) describe it as part Robin Hood part Zorro and a good adventure. I believe it was part of a deal for three Disney movies to be made in the UK.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

No additional rain or thunder last night, though there remains a chance of it for the rest of today. I'll be off for my Tuesday course later on and will need to pick up a book for another course prior to that.

Cheers! ;)

Good Morning all; Rain & thunder is on its way here.......big dark clouds rolling in from the north, and cold (only 22c), still it lays the dust. And will delay the cable laying (trench will be full of water!) O well never mind!

• RMweb Gold

And will delay the cable laying (trench will be full of water!) O well never mind!

My brother was once working on a buried cable (fibre optic) project in Pakistan. Just as they completed, a small earthquake severed the cable.

Morning All,

It is a lovely, but rather humid morning here in Karlsruhe. I am in also in a very good mood :yahoo:

I think I will pass on the "delicacies". The fermented shark doesn't sound too bad - although I am sure it is disgusting if you actually have to eat it, but the maggoty cheese is nothing short of revolting!

The Dr. Syn books are great. Particularly as that is very much my neck of the woods. I went to school in Rye, and I know the marsh extrememly well.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Bright one hereabouts. SWMBO has just headed out the door to work leaving behind a short list. I think I will ignore all the items except those concerned with lunch. Just too busy.

Good to see things are moving on a pace on the house front Mick.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Morning all!

My great aunt lived in Deal, just north of Dover and as we were her closest remaining family, we visited fairly regularly (once or twice a year at least). Spent many a happy day on the RH&D. I remember going to Rye one year, as my Mum had developed a fixation on collecting a load of the Rye Pottery Canterbury Tales figures. They're still in the house, she probably has a dozen of them.

Unfortunately we never made it as far west as Brighton from Deal, I'd have liked to have visited. Maybe one day I will!

Top tip:

We've just 'phoned around all our service providers for everything we could think of and saved over £80 per month!

"We'd like to stay with you but not at these prices" was the gist of it.

BT and EON were the main contributors to our economy drive.

... and don't accept the first offer!

Hope this helps someone else.

My great aunt lived in Deal

Small world! Some friends had a holiday cottage in Deal, and I had a couple of holidays there. We used to go fishing for crabs on Deal pier and then take them home to cook and eat.

Unfortunately we never made it as far west as Brighton from Deal, I'd have liked to have visited. Maybe one day I will!

Brighton is worth a visit - but I must admit to not being a big fan.

Small world! Some friends had a holiday cottage in Deal, and I had a couple of holidays there. We used to go fishing for crabs on Deal pier and then take them home to cook and eat.

My aunt lived in a lovely art deco style house not far from the Royal Cinque Ports golf club, at the very north end of Deal. Unfortunately, we had to sell the house after she died as we couldn't keep on a spare house at the other end of the country. A look on Google Streetview shows it's since been demolished and replaced by two tiny but out of place looking detached houses.

Morning All,

The Dr. Syn books are great. Particularly as that is very much my neck of the woods. I went to school in Rye, and I know the marsh extrememly well.

Have a good day everyone...

Now you're talking! Where Henry James wrote "The Turn of the Screw", I think. You've also got, of course, EF Benson. I could live there quite easily.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Woke up at 7 this morning but then promptly fell asleep till 10! I'm supposed to be on study leave but so far this morning I haven't done any revision. I expect I'll start after lunch though.

I've downloaded some software recently for the computer. You may remember those 3D visualisations I do, well its an update of the program I use for that. Unfortunately they have made it far more complicated in my opinion than it needs to be. It has taken me 20 minutes just to get the bottom toolbar with all the tools I use on the program. I can't go back to the old version either because it no longer works so I guess I will have to battle through it! blink.gif

I'm suffering a bit with hayfever these past few days which doesn't help my concentration I must admit! I knew I would get it eventually, just didn't know when.

Oh yes, and we have a new arrival in the house as of yesterday! Freda our little kitten is here. She's a lovely little thing and she's sat in front of me sleeping. I can post a photo later if anyone is interested?

Well, I best get back to working out this program I guess!

I could live there quite easily.

So could I! However, it does have its disadvantages - particularly in the Summer when it is packed with tourists and you only want to pop into town to buy something.

The charm of Rye is unquestionable. Having been incorporated in 1187, that is an awful lot of history!

Jam - Sorry to hear about the hay fever. However, good news about Freda. Yes, a photo would be great.

• RMweb Gold

I must admit to once being a summer visitor to Rye and going round the house where Henry James lived. I'm fairly certain that I've never read any of his novels.

Tony

Yes, not to be confused with M.R. James - who's more from our neck of the woods, in Suffolk. His "Whistle and I'll Come My Lad" was made into probably the best filmed "Ghost Story" ever (for TV) in 1968 (that long ago?) starring Michael Horden. This film even influenced Madonna, of all people. Well worth catching if you get a chance.

Best, Pete.