The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

28 minutes ago, Simon G said:

Evening all,

A mixed day today.  On the positive side, I can now say that I am due to become a Grandfather at the end of March.  Son and daughter in law told us three weeks back when staying with us, but we were sworn to secrecy until other relatives had been visited and told.  Mrs G are I are absolutely delighted and looking forward to it.

On the negative side, I seem to have pulled a muscle, possibly one of the gluteal ones.  It was OK first thing today, but really stiffened up during the morning to such an extent that I could hardly walk at lunchtime.  An afternoon’s rest, plus max strength ibuprofen has improved it a bit, but it is still stiff and uncomfortable.  Hopefully a good nights sleep will help.  It was a pity, as it was a lovely day here today.  I did manage a bit of tidying up around the garden in the morning.  My afternoon rest involved watching some excellent rugby between Saracens and Bath.

Congrats Simon, and Mrs G, I can heartily  recommend Grandchildren. I hope all goes well.

And I hope the pulled muscle soon mends as well.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Congrats to GD-to-be Simon and Mrs G.

Also to Peter and Mrs BB.

Golf was splashed around yesterday - not the best round, but at least it was relatively warm if a lot wet. Next round will be in two weeks (due to my new-found Saturday working)and it will be the first round of the Winter League Pairs. Play every weekend if you can until early March 2021, but only the best 9 scores to count. Should be fun.

Today was lie-in day - surfacing sometime around 11am or so................

Although there was a mumbled reply to a "can you do some tidying up today?" as Mrs NB departed the house at 8.30 or so.

Two loads of washing/drying. Vacuum around the house, tidy up the back room (otherwise known as stuff th cr@p into the cupboards) and many brownie points have been earned.

6 day week at work - I shall start it with a quick break at 9.30 or so to watch the RHTT pass.

Have a good Monday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

IMG_20201004_203414.jpg.c65a273d2acaab0660fd333f5967d988.jpg

I see (I think) light shining through the car side. If the windows are relatively easy to remove, do so and paint the whole interior with a coat of black. Just a suggestion.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

Greetings one and all, with congratulations to Simon and Mrs G.

I feared the worst when I saw the blue light on my gas boiler flashing first thing this morning.  Then I remembered that one of the knobs on the front has a setting "reset".  It's the equivalent of turning it off and turning it on again, and it worked.

Yesterday was not at all productive.  Although the TV was tuned to the London Marathon I saw none of it.  Instead I replied to an e-mail from my cousin-in-law.  It will have come across as dismal but it is best to be honest.  A reply to another e-mail has rekindled contact with a friend in Theydon Bois of all places.  Somewhere in all that may be a solution to C*****mas: I did think that the idea I had on Saturday was too good to be true.

I was interested in Mike SM's recollections of pre-decimal railway accountancy.   Somewhere I have a compact book on GWR station accounting which I had better unearth before it gets buried more deeply.  I should also mention that my grandfather rose to be head of the mineral accounts office at Barry Docks, from which he retired no later than 1955.  I have seen an article that he wrote on what must have been a pioneering example of punched card accounting for some learned journal or other.  That, too, is in too safe a place.

Today will see the weekly donation to charity run by Camelot, the collection of a statement from the bank, my annual visit to Body Shop to buy something fragrant for my distressed friend and a check to see whether seasonal greetings cards are yet on sale.  It gets me out of the house, and away from the news media who are predictably fixated with President Chump.

Best wishes to all 

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

We are off into town today for the first time since March. A big list of items to buy and check is already available from her indoors. It will, I hope be a drive in, get things done and then back home. I hate buying things on line if it is a reasonably expensive item which I would like to see how it performs bbefore buying. The trip should replace some items which are showing major performance degradation.  

Co gratulations to Peterbb and SimonG and their partners.

Chris f.. if you want to go somewhere for Chrisnow is not the time for dithering..JDI...and you know you can!

Have a great day!

Baz

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a rather damp Charente.  Damp enough to interfere with the TV signal.  More shed tidying got done yesterday. I've now got nearly 50 sq metres of floor clear so this morning it will be PVA sealant time and all being well tomorow will be painting time. In the afternoon Beth lit the fire and so it's nice and warm and it caught again this morning. The wood we acquired this year appears to be really nice slow burning oak.  In the evening I had a surprise. My brother rang me so we natterred for half an hour. I even got some muddling done.

This morning, as mentioed it will be floor sealing time. After that I will try and get some items hung on the wall.

Simon, congratulations.  Joy in abundance will no doubt gollow but fit new high security locks to your wallet. Grandchildren are far more adept at opening such things than their parents. Chris I hope that you get your Christmas sorted.

Regards to all

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Chris f.. if you want to go somewhere for Chrisnow is not the time for dithering..JDI...and you know you can!

Baz, in principle I agree with you - he who hesitates is lost and all that.  Three weeks from today and no sooner I will know for certain whether or not I will be going to Switzerland for C*****mas and New Year.  Given the situation I am as sure as I can be that it will not happen but Ffestiniog Travel is a resourceful outfit.  Given the choice I would far rather be in Switzerland than the UK!  All I can do before then is to examine options for a short break closer to home.

Chris

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Not raining -  yet!

Managed a couple of hours in The Shed and continued work on Platform 1.  However after banging my head a couple of times and making a major up-cock on the thing I decided to pack up and return to the TV to watch rugby.  Picked the Saracens v Bath game as it was Sarries last Premiership outing and glad I did.

More parcels due today, mainly for Herself.

More Shed time today I think to try and put right yesterday's mishap.

As I type the rain the rain has returned.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

3 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Not raining -  yet!

Managed a couple of hours in The Shed and continued work on Platform 1.  However after banging my head a couple of times and making a major up-cock on the thing I decided to pack up and return to the TV to watch rugby.  Picked the Saracens v Bath game as it was Sarries last Premiership outing and glad I did.

More parcels due today, mainly for Herself.

More Shed time today I think to try and put right yesterday's mishap.

As I type the rain the rain has returned.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Nice down ear Bob, been for my walk, and the BIG YELLOW thing is throwing some heat out as well.

Well actually I lied about BIG YELLOW thing throwing heat out, but at least its bright and dry, and looks like it could be a nice day after all.

The walk was very pleasant, and I had a chat with the Lady that now lives in the Bungalow that my Parents bought in 1963 when they moved here with Colt International from Ashford, Middlesex, and we lived in Addlestone, Surrey.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I see the stupidity of The Orange One knows no bounds - he never ceases to amaze me.  Now he's been for a car ride so he can wave to his loving public.....

In other news:

Bear has decided that chain drilling and chasing out walls for an extra 2g socket and associated conduit isn't fun :angry:

Still, almost done:yahoo:

• Like 8
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We must have had some rain overnight as the garden is definitely wet, but the sun is now shining, so a day spent in the garden is on the cards. There’s no real heavy work to do today, but I think there are a few more apples that can be harvested and I want to move a few potted plants back to the patio. Also at this time of year there are always leaves to sweep up. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a wet and soggy Estuary-Land. Congratulations to Peter BB and Simon G and their respective spouses. At least its stopped raining and the sun is actually shining but everything is still sopping wet so no chance of the G word today. A bit of luck with the handle on the catch to the ex coal shed. I've discovered how it is attached. It has the appearance of being a solid one piece unit but I spotted where the screw holding it on to the catch is, it was covered by a flush fitting plastic plug only about 5 mm in diameter.  Only problem is removing the plug as its a very tight fit. If I can get the handle off I might not need the special drill bits or the brute force and ignorance to remove the catch unit.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

These are from another thread and I agree with the comments.

11 hours ago, newbryford said:

The collective noun for a group of RMwebbers is a "moan"

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

, or a whinge!

Mike.

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Nah - that's the collective noun for a group of traders at an exhibition......................

:rofl:

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. 
It is pleasantly sunny here now, unlike when I walked to and from the dentists for my check up. My appointment was routine but he was seeing a lot of emergency patients. He wasn’t taking any risks as his PPE looked like the stuff worn in Ebola infected areas. 
I don’t know what I am  doing for the rest of the day, any packages arriving are letter box sized. Both are cds, one from Amazon, the other from eBay. The eBay one due to a “how much!” at Amazon. 
My nephew in Switzerland is having the opposite travel hopes to ChrisF. He would like to travel to London at Christmas. He would like to drive but Aditi is concerned that there may be huge traffic jams in Kent at the New Year when he plans to return to Switzerland.  
Tony

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.  You Tube stole my morning - petrol head site, funny, entertaining, time consuming.

Took Mrs H for her bus as it had been sipping it down all night so no bike, then took a walk along Ramsey prom to await the opening of the old fogies flu jab service which started today, as it was dry by then and OK to hang around waiting it to open at 8.

Lovely sunrise while I walked along (its just over a mile) Simon (congrats!) is over there under that cloud.

20201005_073428.jpg.aeca0a435dbd38dc150121e43b6028f2.jpg

20201005_073855.jpg.3acef389ecc05773c47746e45fd09be0.jpg

• Like 17