The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all. 
It is pleasantly sunny here now, unlike when I walked to and from the dentists for my check up. My appointment was routine but he was seeing a lot of emergency patients. He wasn’t taking any risks as his PPE looked like the stuff worn in Ebola infected areas. 
I don’t know what I am  doing for the rest of the day, any packages arriving are letter box sized. Both are cds, one from Amazon, the other from eBay. The eBay one due to a “how much!” at Amazon. 
My nephew in Switzerland is having the opposite travel hopes to ChrisF. He would like to travel to London at Christmas. He would like to drive but Aditi is concerned that there may be huge traffic jams in Kent at the New Year when he plans to return to Switzerland.  
Tony

House swap comes to mind

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Much skipping has been done to achieve even getting here - sorry, but generic greetings are all that I can offer.

Had to go into Lancaster to transfer money between accounts, and to pay in some cash, being 30747's contribution to the 1/12th scale dolls house which the dealer had already packed up in anticipation of completion of the purchase - well, when I saw the price of hand made one of a kind doll's houses on eBay, the price of the one that we've just bought it actually a bargain.  Think upwards of £3k without any furniture for a similar piece, and ours starts to seem like an investment.  I will post some images once it's here, set up, furnished, and so on.  We had hoped to pay on Barclaycard, but the dealer has offered such a heavy discount that she would not have very much margin once the commissions to Barclaycard were paid.

Also just had DPD deliver the stove fan which we ordered - hopefully it will assist in pushing more heat into the room.  Amazon had some as well, but many had poor ratings which do make you wonder - and we've seen this one in a shop, so have a good idea what to expect.

Back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations to Simon and Mrs G. 

The Shed was visited for a while and yesterday's error put right and a little bit more done.  

After lunch I received a phone call from the dental receptionist regarding my impending check up and visit to the hygienist tomorrow.  Umpteen questions about my current state of health and requested to attend fully masked (which I was going to do anyway), not to get there too early (why would I?) and to wait to be admitted.  As they have the door locked I can't really do much else can I?  :banghead:  They've also sent me a 3 page medical history questionnaire  but quite why they want to know whether or not I would like to improve my smile (those of you who have met me know that I don't smile as I'm a MOG) or am worried about fine lines and wrinkles I'm b#ggered if I know.  Also asked when was the last time I visited a dentist - er -their computer should tell them that. The form finished up with the same 10 questions I was asked over the phone. :rolleyes:

I suppose they're just being very careful and I should be grateful that they're actually seeing me. 

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all, with congratulations to Simon and Mrs G.

Absolutely totally echoed from here

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

And I believe - unless my brain is completely addled - that today might be the day to extend anniversary congratulations to our resident Squirrel (sorry Rick) and Sharon.

Slightly premature Mike.  I believe it's Mr and Mrs BB's today.  Ours is Wednesday.  All comments and ratings are herewith considered to be applied then ;) 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2020 at 11:14, AndrewC said:

It is a no win situation.

Mild or no symptoms = hoax virus tinfoil hat wearing loons on the rampage

severe symptoms and hospital stay = sympathy votes and it shuts him up for a while, improving his re-election chances.

severe and recovers = the will of god < coming from the religious right wing whack jobs. 

dead = martyr and a sh*t show of an election. 

Found another article that explores all the constitutional options if a US presidential candidate dies during the election or between election and inauguration. https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-donald-trump-constitutions-elections-us-supreme-court-91ce484b8046e6a555e172f42c4441f9

• Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, newbryford said:

Congrats to GD-to-be Simon and Mrs G.

Also to Peter and Mrs BB.

As Mick said.  Glass to be raised later to the celebrating couples.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

House swap comes to mind

Probably illegal in Switzerland! They seem very strict about who can live where. Nephew Paul had everything organised by the company he works for. 
Tony

• Informative/Useful 13

Congratulations Simon and Mrs G.

Moanday...

Weekend of various activities, some home related but the "best" was our Cabaret fund raiser. Had several people on the "help" line before the show started, all solved relatively painlessly.

The show was exceptional, it's incredible to have such a large group of musicians that are involved with us. There's pretty much music for all tastes, and possibly my favorite was a local and nationally known opera singer, Maria Jette, providing a rendition of "We'll meet again" in homage to Vera Lynn passing this year.

It's part of the last set starts at around 2:02:00. It's a long show but I promise you'll find something to enjoy if you feel the urge to listen in;

We've raised $70,000. and counting, plus another $16,000. in raffle ticket sales, and $20,000. from our sponsors, so the many social justice and environmental ministries will continue to be well funded for the coming year we hope.

Sunday was a "relax", some shelf building in the shed,  Jemma returning from her latest trip, and then all of us gathering for an outdoor neighborhood social gathering - very nice to be with people even if distanced sensibly.

Cooler here overnight, around 4, heading for somewhat warmer at 22 and clear skies with a breeze.

The week starts here - enjoy :)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just set up for a Zoom meeting. We are having a test later this evening so I've checked out the speakers, microphone and camera (nothing embarrassing in the background) and all seems to be OK. We intend to have a Zoom committee meeting later this week in advance of the AGM which is not due until March so hopefully by then we can have a real meeting. Tea has brewed so I'll be back later.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 45156 said:

Had to go into Lancaster to transfer money between accounts, and to pay in some cash, being 30747's contribution to the 1/12th scale dolls house which the dealer had already packed up in anticipation of completion of the purchase - well, when I saw the price of hand made one of a kind doll's houses on eBay, the price of the one that we've just bought it actually a bargain.  Think upwards of £3k without any furniture for a similar piece, and ours starts to seem like an investment.  I will post some images once it's here, set up, furnished, and so on.  We had hoped to pay on Barclaycard, but the dealer has offered such a heavy discount that she would not have very much margin once the commissions to Barclaycard were paid.

Beary Tip of the Day:

Paying a £100 deposit on a credit card (and the rest however you wish) will cover the entire purchase in the event of any problems - it allows you to claim under "Section 75" from the credit card company.  Assuming the item in question doesn't cost more than 30K.....that would be one serious dolls house......

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just set up for a Zoom meeting. We are having a test later this evening so I've checked out the speakers, microphone and camera (nothing embarrassing in the background) and all seems to be OK. We intend to have a Zoom committee meeting later this week in advance of the AGM which is not due until March so hopefully by then we can have a real meeting. Tea has brewed so I'll be back later.

The French language group Aditi is part of have been having Zoom meetings. The general IT competence of the membership has increased rapidly. Aditi is also a member of a much larger art group. They had a practice webinar last week. That looked very impressive, 

Tony

• Like 16

Personally I have no interest in substitutes for meetings or other get togethers on Zoom or other media.  Its just not the same no matter how much they try and while they should get credit for trying, in my case its not the solution.  Also we haven't been to a restaurant since day one so not much outside social activity except with friends and their known attitudes toward the virus.  I have actually got used to the idea of self incarceration now as the only interaction with anybody these days is the grocery store etc., which is enough as I find crowds distracting.  But then I always did!:unknw_mini:

Brian.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

Evening everyone,

Early night here too as we’re on uncle and auntie duties tomorrow which includes providing breakfast and two morning school runs. 
Happy Anniversary to Peter and Mrs BB and hope you’ve had a pleasant day together.

I’ve been helping out at work today but things seem to have gone quiet on the flu vaccination front so I think manager is going to fit what’s left into his daily routine so I’m not required.

Now that episode is over I need to think about the Brexit effect on my pharmacy but not before the VAT return is completed. I’d better get it done tomorrow as it needs to be filed by the 7th of the month. 
Bit of shed time and completed the task that I left last night and managed to get it done without any loss of blood.

Football news.  It’s  not looking good for my team. The manager says we need new players and I think if he doesn’t get them which is more than likely he’ll be on his way to New York. I can’t blame him really but I do blame ‘the board’, as the chant goes ‘you don’t know what you’re doing!’

Talking of automation on the rail freight business, the clip on YouTube that I watched a couple of night ago on Tinsley yard showed an automated system used to sort out the train consists and the retardation  system for the wagons. Unfortunately it was more of a public information film about the bright new world rather than a technical description.

Think I’ve taken up enough of your time so goodnight.

Robert

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

E530B286-6C88-4F60-AB27-1C6D33298EE5.jpeg.e21fdc810f1850584fa71689f8201ae4.jpegChange of subject. ER nature ramblers please advise! This photo will need zooming but can anyone identify the green plant growing on the rock. Taken last week near Loch Ness.

I wondered if it is stonecrop but it doesn’t look like the stonecrop in our books. My nephew sent the photo as he said it was everywhere in Scotland and wondered what it was.  

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Just now, Tony_S said:

Change of subject. ER nature ramblers please advise! This photo will need zooming but can anyone identify the green plant growing on the rock. Taken last week near Loch Ness.

I wondered if it is stonecrop but it doesn’t look like the stonecrop in our books. My nephew sent the photo as he said it was everywhere in Scotland and wondered what it was.  

Difficult to identify Tony as there is no picture.:o

• Agree 3

36 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Evening everyone,

Early night here too as we’re on uncle and auntie duties tomorrow which includes providing breakfast and two morning school runs. 
Happy Anniversary to Peter and Mrs BB and hope you’ve had a pleasant day together.

I’ve been helping out at work today but things seem to have gone quiet on the flu vaccination front so I think manager is going to fit what’s left into his daily routine so I’m not required.

Now that episode is over I need to think about the Brexit effect on my pharmacy but not before the VAT return is completed. I’d better get it done tomorrow as it needs to be filed by the 7th of the month. 
Bit of shed time and completed the task that I left last night and managed to get it done without any loss of blood.

Football news.  It’s  not looking good for my team. The manager says we need new players and I think if he doesn’t get them which is more than likely he’ll be on his way to New York. I can’t blame him really but I do blame ‘the board’, as the chant goes ‘you don’t know what you’re doing!’

Talking of automation on the rail freight business, the clip on YouTube that I watched a couple of night ago on Tinsley yard showed an automated system used to sort out the train consists and the retardation  system for the wagons. Unfortunately it was more of a public information film about the bright new world rather than a technical description.

Think I’ve taken up enough of your time so goodnight.

Robert

I think I have seen the same film organised the old system at Wicker arches first then Tinsley but it didn't last for a long time 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

E530B286-6C88-4F60-AB27-1C6D33298EE5.jpeg.e21fdc810f1850584fa71689f8201ae4.jpegChange of subject. ER nature ramblers please advise! This photo will need zooming but can anyone identify the green plant growing on the rock. Taken last week near Loch Ness.

My initial thought was moss but on zooming in, as suggested, I'm beginning to doubt. Could be saxifrage but I'm not certain as this doesn't tend to grow over and through Erica's.

• Like 1