The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Storm Alex will mean that I will be staying in today. The G word is out of the question but if the forecast is anything to go by I might be watching the Dawlish beach cam, should be interesting. Kettle is on so its be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

At last, a positive from the ‘White House’

I can't see any positive in this news. We really need the US elections to take place normally and for Trump to be given a good kicking by the US electorate (not that Biden seems very impressive as a candidate). Trump not being able to campaign compromises that.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

It would appear, that for a change we are in the centre of the storm, and thus have a still, but cool morning.  Very dewey, not the decimal type, and 7c 'warming' to 9 currently, but sunny.  So bike to the club, but I doubt it will be a long ride out afterwards.

Shame about Trumpy eh?  I wonder if all the deny-ers will alter their tune at all after their darling has got it.

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Wet and windy here. 
My garage was damp a couple of days ago. I traced the leak to a failing waterstop connector on a hose. Unusually I had not turned the water off at the tap. So I ordered a new connector. I could not fit it to the hose, as the hose was a smaller diameter, it is a springy concertina type that doesn’t seem to be available. No amount of hot water or soap would enable the hose to stretch onto the new standard connector. So I have given up and ordered a nice wall mounted hose  which will be one less thing to trip over in the garage. 
Tony

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I can't see any positive in this news. We really need the US elections to take place normally and for Trump to be given a good kicking by the US electorate (not that Biden seems very impressive as a candidate). Trump not being able to campaign compromises that.

Whilst that may be the case, if they can remove his connection to a computer for a while, then the silence in the ether will be wonderful..

• Like 6
  • Agree 10
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Dull, dry and very little wind, although that may all change as the day progresses! It’s Friday, which means bin day, both have already been emptied so my first task will be to see where they have left them, it’s never where they collected them from! Following that I’ll take a walk to the butchers to collect the weekly meat rations and a pastie for my dinner.  After that it’s a trip to the Trafford Centre for a few more provisions, I may well have company for that trip, unless Sheila changes her mind, which she has been known to do before now. 

The afternoon will see us/me drop (maintaining a social distance of course) of Vickie and Ian’s anniversary present round and wishing them a happy anniversary for tomorrow, that year’s gone quick! After that there are no firm plans, so a spot of reading may well take place. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Whilst that may be the case, if they can remove his connection to a computer for a while, then the silence in the ether will be wonderful..

The less that Trump says, the better of his chance of winning. Not unique to the US of course. I am a great believer that most elections are lost rather than won.

There is another potential benefit. If the remaining TV "debates" are done remotely, the mediator will have total control of the sound and can stop the endless interruptions which made the "debate" so totally pointless this week.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Ours are both on Sat 10th as well, 2 minutes apart, 10.20 &10.22, I wonder if they will have to peel me off the floor in my usual fashion when needles are around.:o

Remember an incident well ... hope there is not a repeat.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

The company that marketed it, is " Hobbies" Still around today . . . . . . 

They now sell trains as well . . . I was amazed a couple of weeks ago in WHSmiffs reading room to find the latest copy of their catalogue with a photo of a Hornby Flying Scotsman on the front cover. A look at their website shows that they now stock Hornby, Bachmann, Gaugemaster, Woodland Scenics and Peco. I haven't checked any prices but assume everything will be list price and so not so attractive to the dedicated modellers on RMweb. I guess they are trying to appeal to the new lockdown modellers who would use 'Hobbies' as a search term for mail order.

https://www.hobbies.co.uk/crafts/books-and-dvds/the-2021-hobbies-handbook-catalogue

Mike

Edited by Mike Bellamy
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

12 minutes ago, AndyB said:

I guess the problem will be if it's a mild case. You can hear him now....

"Hey. I had this virus. Wasn't bad. No big deal. Nothing to worry about...."

Cue widespread mask wearing abandonment.

It is a no win situation.

Mild or no symptoms = hoax virus tinfoil hat wearing loons on the rampage

severe symptoms and hospital stay = sympathy votes and it shuts him up for a while, improving his re-election chances.

severe and recovers = the will of god < coming from the religious right wing whack jobs. 

dead = martyr and a sh*t show of an election. 

• Like 8
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Stupid me says "Hey Alexa, what are you doing?"  Alexa says " I'm bimbling around the clouds singing to myself, Tra-la-la-la-la."  Perhaps Alexa was trying to talk to Alex?  I really must get out more!  (or take more water with it) 

One of my favourites is:

"Alexa - good night"  (I know, I know...sad lonely b'stard....)

- which brings various answers, including:

"Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite...."

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I can't see any positive in this news. We really need the US elections to take place normally and for Trump to be given a good kicking by the US electorate

Unfortunately (and unbelievably) it does seem that more than a few voters are under the impression that he's doing a great job, which is just plain scary

• Like 3
  • Agree 12