The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Guest tony graham

"Edinburgh's dry but grey, Glasgow's meant to be rain today."

Trust me Mike, it was ever thus...! :lol: Weatherwise, Carlisle could generally be considered as 'Glasgow Lite'! ;)

Didn't get to my appointment with the 37 yesterday but that's my plan for today. Tony's birthday dinner was good though!

Dave.

Enjoyed it myself, even though I wasnt really wanting any fuss. Ate well, drank even more than I should have even bought a bottle of fizz in Cassa (£45) and drank most of it myself out of the bottle....

• RMweb Gold

Pete, when you were in Essex did you ever go to the Audley End Railway? It is a 10 1/4 inch line that runs through the woods. We went quite a few times when Matthew was little. There are lots of teddy bears in the trees but although it was supposed to entertain little children, I think 3 year old Matthew got embarrassed by his Mum who was very enthusiastic about all the toys!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Stewart,

That wonderful little movie deserves a larger audience on RMWeb than just us ER dweebs. Have you thought of using it in a new Topic?

Btw how are the turnouts/points controlled?

Best, Pete.

I've raised a new topic in the Outdoor area as well at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/38688-littledale-light-railway/

The turnouts are all manual, but the route is very cleverly worked out with two loops and the points are spring loaded in favour of the return movement, so that the journey does not require any changing of the points at all. The original route included two places at which the tracks crossed on the level, and needed a pointsman, but the owner revised everything to make operation more simple.

Bringing a little sanity back to ERs, I've just got back from the garden day, and asked Mike for permission to take and post some photos, but he suggested that I post this link instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me1gmn5oo5c

I did?? :help:

Morning all! (Just!)

Happy 15000th/600th.

BoD, how was Shildon?

Very jealous of anyone going to see ISIHAC, would love to go and see one being recorded at some point. Will have a look through the videos tomorrow/today...

I remember going on the railway at Audley End when I was younger. And RH&DLR. And the Snowdon funicular. And the Ffestiniog. And.............

Night all!

Hi all. For a change I'm first on today.

Overcast with rain forecast again today.

It cleared up sufficiently by mid morning yesterday for my brother to invite me to a braai.

It was very, very pleasant to get out of my flat and sit out in the mild sunlight in his back garden. Really. really enjoyable with some chilled white wine o go with it :drinks: .

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

I seem to remember there was another thunderstorm some time last night, though I was only half awake when I noticed. All that rain will certainly have been good for the local vegetation. Today is forecast to be mostly pleasant, though there may be additional rain and thunder in the afternoon.

Have a good day everyone...

Good Morning All & Happy Monday............Start of another week,

More rain & thunder forecast for here today. (well tis start of rainy season)

Have a good un.

Thanks for the you-tube links as well..

Morning All,

I'm on a little bit later this morning. The night was rather disturbed. You're right Dominik - there was a large thunderstorm around 2am this morning, and a clap of thunder overhead which was almost loud enough to wake the dead. Certainly enough to wake me, and the little guy. Then, at 4am a car alarm went off :angry: - probably as a result of getting water into its works!

I'm off on a business trip again today - shouldn't be too bad though. A couple of nights in a hotel, and then back on Wednesday evening.

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

You're right Dominik - there was a large thunderstorm around 2am this morning, and a clap of thunder overhead which was almost loud enough to wake the dead.

Okay, so that's when it was. I wasn't completely sure what time the clock showed when I looked, half asleep as I was. I, too, do remember a rather loud thunderclap around this time, though given the distance it probably was not the same one you heard. According to the news, there were several flooded roads and some lightning damage in the region, all caused by the thunderstorms of the past 36 hours or thereabouts. An entire village near Alsfeld in the east of the state was especially badly hit, having been swept by flooding from a nearby stream.

Nothing dramatic here.

Full oktas but not the sort that come with imminent rain.

The fact that Much Wittering was subject to an Act of God (it was leaning upright against a wall when I passed by with the box from a new TV and the baseboard fell over with an almighty crash - top down) is the most excitement I've had.

I don't think there is any major damage but I have about 18 chimneys and other bits to repair/replace which is a pain.

Looking on the good side, all those loose bits of scatter which are difficult to see/remove are now in the bin - but this is not a solution I'd recommend.

Dave appears to have an echo. :lol:

It is now raining heavily in Karlsruhe. For the most part, the journey down here was dry - which is good because traffic was very heavy. However, the company car is rather nice and ate up the miles in comfort.

• RMweb Gold

Matthew has just telephoned me. He was very cross about some of the comments made on his fieldwork diary by one of his university tutors. I managed to calm him down and suggested the correct email content to send as a riposte.

Tony

Pete, when you were in Essex did you ever go to the Audley End Railway? It is a 10 1/4 inch line that runs through the woods. We went quite a few times when Matthew was little. There are lots of teddy bears in the trees but although it was supposed to entertain little children, I think 3 year old Matthew got embarrassed by his Mum who was very enthusiastic about all the toys!

Tony

Do you know Tony I only heard about that Miniature Railway about two year ago - so I'm ashamed to say I have not visited it.

My all time favourite is the RH&D. I like the towns in that area too like Rye. It all stems back to the "Dr. Syn" movie with Patrick McGoohan...

Best, Pete.