The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Having read Jamie's post about black bears taking over railway lines I wondered if CPR follow the NSB. (Norwegian Railways) model of equipping loco cabs with a rifle and ammunition on some of the more remote routes to deal with any similar large fauna that turn a bit nasty or awkward?  

As farcas I know CN and CP don't but they still use 2 person crews.  However onevof thevIron Ore lines in Labrador, probably the Q S &N L , do as they single man. They also equip cabs with CD players and instruct their drivers to have a sleep, with the train stopped, if they feel fatigued.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

There are so many medieval churches in Norfolk you could spend years visting them. 

My favourites are,

the Cathedral of the broads , St Helen's Ranworth, fabulous views from the tower and it's historical effects

St Catherine's church,  Ludham,  with its Elizabethan rood screen. 

St Andrews Hempstead,  although unimpressive outside, it's chancery screen is mostly intact. The church is still Candle lit when required as it has no electricity or water.. 

Then of course there are the older round towered Saxon churches,  Norfolk having 124 of the 185 in the UK,  I pass two on the way to work,  St Margarets Old Catton,  and St Swithins Ashmanhaugh. (Pronounced ASHm'no)

If you be goin tuh visit Narfuk best yew larn tuh speak Narfuk,  first be place names 

https://www.visitnorfolk.co.uk/inspire/Norfolk-place-pronounciations.aspx

Then the lingo. 

http://www.norfolkdialect.com/glossary.htm

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 26/09/2020 at 10:23, Coombe Barton said:

Lived in Peverell from 1952-1955. Grandparents and aunts lived there =from 1912-2003, when the last one died. Cousins live in Hartley. Mum went to Devonport High School for Girls and young second cousin twice removed has just started there.

On 26/09/2020 at 13:18, Coombe Barton said:

I recall that, more than 50 years ago when I was still at school in Plymouth, the radio presenter on a local programme pronounced Higher St Budeaux (a place) as "Higher Street, Buddow"

We lived at the top of Watts Park Road until 1954, opposite the Greyhound / Stockcar / Speedway Stadium, and I could just see half a bend and most of the far strait from my Bedroom window. When it was Speedway and Stock Cars it was noisy so my Parents would come up and hold me up at the window, I think they could hear the commentary as well.

If you look up St Budeaux in Wiki it went through many different names through the Centuries, but definitely NOT Buddow, haha. Although my Farther said it should be pronounced St Boodow.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 15

Although Leicester born and bred, I don't really have any connection to the place other than I follow the rugby team in the town and the junior club I played for, I still have a brother there, but we rarely speak. I did go back to see the place I was raised in that used to back onto fields and the old Great Central railway line, but that's all gone, houses on the fields where I played as a kid. I have lived in Holland, France, Devon, London, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, Perthshire and now Angus. I have often said it wouldn't bother me if I lived here for ever, but work(or more often lack of it) brought about us moving. I don't actually feel like I have any "roots" to anywhere and home is where I now live, we chose to live at the coast mainly because SWMBO had never lived at the seaside, no regrets on that part, we are a mile inland, so although the easterlie storms can get rough at times, we don't get it too bad.

The only thing I miss is the lack of coarse fishing and English pubs, but Scotland offers sea fishing and mountains, salmon fishing and some great wildlife. I used to go sleep as a kid with steam hauled trains rattling the windows and I can still hear the railway where I am now, though rarely steam hauled and at the moment, very few trains running since the Stonehaven incident, happy enough where I am though I too watch these house hunting programs and could happily move again if I won the lottery.

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 4

36 minutes ago, TheQ said:

There are so many medieval churches in Norfolk you could spend years visting them. 

I have a not so little list, but required some sort of freedom of movement - could bring the caravan across and spend a few days when we're allowed to do so.

If I:m still active by then.

Colby, of course, because of the name.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 18

Well good afternoon 

Heating has come on today mainly to test before it comes really cold. Dont seem to be getting heat downstairs the bottom floor that is. Middle floor nice and warm,top floor same.bottom floor like a fridge. I think it must be an air lock somewhere. 

I have left my home town on a couple of occasions and ended up coming back. Wehave lost a lot of services over the last 10 to 15 years. We dont have a proper hospital anymore, or a police station lots have banks have shut. I haven't been in town for months but i am told its mainly druggies and the allegedly homeless most of em are in bedsits in Castleford.but they have to come to Pontefract to beg 

My wife doesnt drive (only me mad) so we are ideally located for whats left. 

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Just a quick check in, but several pages skipped, so hopefully nothing has happened of moment.  Greetings, as usual, anre offered to all ailing and celebrating ERs.

Today has been very busy indeed with an early rise, to find that there had been a frost, then getting the Henchmann ladder out to trim the top of the ten foot hedge at the side, then some bookwork, then getting the porch ready to receive the logs, getting said logs, coal, kindling, and fire lighters, so that the stove, which has been fettled with a new rope seal and some fire cement, can be set (done) and lot (Probably tomorrow).  Possibly a visit to the A6 car boot will ensue - who knows, we did pretty well there last week.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

As farcas I know CN and CP don't but they still use 2 person crews.  However onevof thevIron Ore lines in Labrador, probably the Q S &N L , do as they single man. They also equip cabs with CD players and instruct their drivers to have a sleep, with the train stopped, if they feel fatigued.

Jamie

It is QNS&L:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_North_Shore_and_Labrador_Railway

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I was indeed referring to the low-dose OTC version of Co-Codamol. I do buy a couple of packets of the OTC version when I’m in the UK and although I understand the reason why its purchases are limited,  I do find it a tad frustrating as the amount that I can buy at any one time at any one dispensing chemist. I employ the simple expedient of buying the maximum allowed purchase of Co-Codamol  from a number of different pharmacists, so that I have a reasonable amount of stock to take home  ...snip...

iD

I an surprised that the Swiss let you bring it in-country!

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

Starting to defrost at last. Cricket was played, umpiring was umpired, end os a short season which has seen poor pitches, poor players and poor umpiring (and that is not about just me!) The wind today was unbelievable!

Sunderland managed to beat another of their bogey teams today. H'way the Lass!

Baz

• Like 17

On 25/09/2020 at 15:56, J. S. Bach said:

I use Thunderbird (81.0b4 32 bit) and created archive folders. I then copy any received/sent emails to the appropriate folder. As PB says: "Works for me." And no lost emails.

You can also sign up for an email account (like Outlook / Gmail), then sign in to it through Thunderbird.

You should be able to drag and drop emails / folders from other accounts to it.

I always "print" emails (to a PDF) and just store them in a folder.

Windows 10 makes searching simple and have found myself using it more and more rather than manually clicking through.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Apart from a quick trip out to Tess Coes for some comestibles I haven't ventured out today. I was born in Romford and spent the first half of my existence in and around the area. I certainly wouldn't want to go back there to live now. As for 'where did I come from' I know from studying my family tree that I am a mongrel, with Jewish, French/Flemish, Welsh, Scottish and Irish ancestry. No doubt if I could go back a lot further I might even find Roman ancestry :D. Flavio's right not to claim to be Roman in the ancient sense for it is the Romans, not the Jews who executed Jesus Christ. The evidence can be seen in every Christian place of worship. Tea has brewed so its be back later time.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I do find it a tad frustrating as the amount that I can buy at any one time at any one dispensing chemist. I employ the simple expedient of buying the maximum allowed purchase of Co-Codamol  from a number of different pharmacists, so that I have a reasonable amount of stock to take home (I use it on rare occasions to top up the analgesic effect of an NSAID).  Which of course raises the question that, if I, with no addiction to feed, can easily think of a ways to get around purchasing restrictions, why are these restrictions in place at all?

I found it a bit irritating when it was first introduced but my brother in law said it isn’t to do with addictions. Limiting the number of pills and packets reduces the number of tablets people tend to have at home. Someone temporarily distraught may swallow everything in the medicine cabinet. Limiting the quantity means they are less likely to actually kill themselves.  BiL said it did work. Anyone seriously wanting to overdose can still do so. Saves on liver transplants too.

Tony

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

I bought some ibuprofen on Tenerife it was in liquid sachets 600mg a dose i used it sparingly but it was damn good stuff kept Arthur at bay better than anything else that I have had since.

Also.thinking about Romans wonder if Sadiq and the National trust have realised that any of their remains might actually have been built by Slaves and that they owned slaves too happen a petition to have them demolished ought to be started just for devilment of course :diablo_mini:

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I found it a bit irritating when it was first introduced but my brother in law said it isn’t to do with addictions. Limiting the number of pills and packets reduces the number of tablets people tend to have at home. Someone temporarily distraught may swallow everything in the medicine cabinet. Limiting the quantity means they are less likely to actually kill themselves.  BiL said it did work. Anyone seriously wanting to overdose can still do so. Saves on liver transplants too.

Tony

In line with iD, I smell excrement of bull here.

OK, thou shall not purchase more then 32 paracetamol from a supermarket in a single transaction. Within a timescale of less than an hour, I can visit Tess C0s pharmacy then Sainsbury's followed by B00ts and a private pharmacy next door (only the brick wall separates them) and end up with 128 paracetamol! If I could be bothered to walk the extra 1/2 mile to Lidl, I could end up with another 32 (= 160!)

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

3 minutes ago, BokStein said:

OK, thou shall not purchase more then 32 paracetamol from a supermarket in a single transaction. Within a timescale of less than an hour, I can visit Tess C0s pharmacy then Sainsbury's followed by B00ts and a private pharmacy next door (only the brick wall separates them) and end up with 128 paracetamol! If I could be bothered to walk the extra 1/2 mile to Lidl, I could end up with another 32 (= 160!)

Tried once to buy two boxes of ibuprofen and a box of paracetamol at same time that was a no! Too many tablets!

Tried when accompanied by wife for four boxes of ibuprofen but again no it allowed to do as two separate transactions!

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, BokStein said:

I bow to your superior knowledge of bull products but the legislation is not aimed at anyone seriously setting off to acquire enough medication to kill themselves. It is aimed at reducing the likelihood of someone thinking they want to die but don’t really. There are people who think anyone stupid enough to chug down a cocktail of OTC drugs for whatever reason don’t deserve to survive. I am sorry but having taught teenagers for years, many who do silly things do grow up to be sensible adults. 
If you do want a lot of paracetamol and can’t walk too far you can buy much bigger packs of the soluble form. 

Edited by Tony_S
Commas
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The usual Friday evening fone call from Sister "Down yer Gob and Up yer 'Ooter" was not forthcoming, so I'd no idea if she was going to turn up this morning for the usual C-19 test;  I kept the usual 8am - 9am window open just in case, but there was a definite no-show on her part :angry: - a call to let me know what was happening might've been decent.  At half nine I gave up all hope and considered that this week's voucher was likely never to be seen; however this evening I got a call to arrange a test for tomorrow morning :yahoo:- it seems a lack of test kits was to blame.....

Yet another day working on the kitchen refurb.  There's a loooong way to go yet.....

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2