The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all,

A very tired and creaky iD this morning. Yesterday, for the first time for quite a while, I went on the regular Dog Club weekly “long walk“ with the doggies and although I had a splendid time (as did my beasties) by the end of the walk my right knee was audibly swearing and cursing. Such is life.

I was particularly impressed by how many Dog Club members are fond of Lucy. When you consider how anxious and aggressive/self-protective she was around strangers when we first got her, her transformation is nothing short of amazing (although I am not complacent; although now 99% of all interactions with strangers are unremarkable, I still have to keep my eye out for that 1% where she goes all Amazon Warrior [to be fair, even to my unobservant eyes, many of this 1% are distinctly ”weird”]).

The various commentary on the CoVID-19 situation, especially in regards to the deniers, anti-vaxxers conspiracy theorists, reminded me of the most amusing (and sadly true) post I recently saw, which went: “the world is so screwed up, that in the event of a real zombie apocalypse, there would be ‘zombie rights’ activists“. Obviously, ‘zombie rights’ are important – it is their God-given democratic right to tear open our throats and eat our brains!

I know that I’ve quoted Madame de Stahl before, and I do not hesitate to repeat her, but as this aristocratic Swiss woman who married into the French aristocracy said: “the more I see of men, the more I love my dogs“.

Actually, come to think of it, apart from one hobby, my hobbies are all things that I can enjoy doing by myself. Of course, it’s nice to go to model railway exhibitions and meet with other practitioners of the craft, or to get together to make music with like minded old geezers, but it’s not mandatory – unlike with some hobbies such as with many types of sport (neither table tennis nor rugby league can be played just by one person – to give but two examples). Perhaps I am unusual (or an oddity - no, don’t answer that), but I am very happy with my own company and to keep that company in silence. Although I enjoy the company of selected others and enjoy music, radio and television, I don’t have to be around others nor do I need to have background noise. In fact, I much prefer it when silence is not disturbed by others. In many ways, the monastic life appeals to me; but of the monastic requirements for chastity, poverty and obedience I would certainly have considerable difficulties with the poverty bit (having said that, historically the monastic lifestyle before the dissolution of the monasteries really did stretch the concept of “poverty“ more than a little bit).

Well, time for another cup of coffee before Terce and on that liturgical note, I bid you a splendid Sunday

iD

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, polybear said:

They should get a bunch of deniers and (after signing disclaimers) put them in a locked room with a couple who have bad dose of the virus.  And televise it.

They could call it "Share the Love Island". 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It does sound as if HH had a good day yesterday sorting out the neighbour’s plumbing and getting a new grandchild. Congratulations.

I don’t  think there is much planned today, other than taking part in the Zoom chat this afternoon organised by Aditi’s uncle in California. 
Tony

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, chrisf said:

...Today I shall make a beef casserole.  This is where steam starts coming out of Flavio’s ears because I am using a packet sauce by Schwarz......

I gave up on using packet sauces many years ago when it became evident that:

1. They contain all kinds of interesting chemicals and stuff (such as palm fat, citric acid, silicon dioxide, flavourings, modified starch, guar gum, xanthan gum, carotenes, sulphites - amongst other interesting compounds) that I would prefer NOT to ingest
  2. Most sauces based on a white sauce (such as a mushroom sauce, cheese sauce, cream sauce or white wine sauce) I could make as quickly as using a packet
  3. There are no real advantages in using a packet for something gets cooked for a long time (such as a casserole).

I do confess that the only "packet" stuff that I have in my kitchen are Thai curry pastes (from Thailand - so made with real ingredients to local tastes) and, of course, Bird's Custard - which is not technically a custard (which takes about as much time to make as Bird's Custard) but something rather unique in its' own right and a British Institution (did you know that Bird's Custard was created by Alfred Bird in 1837 at his chemist shop in Birmingham. He developed the recipe because his wife was allergic to eggs).

Tonight I will be pushing out the boat a bit: saddle of rabbit stuffed with black pudding, cooked Sous-Vide; plums and parsnips and a swede mash. I'll probably sauté some chanterelles to go with it as well.

Now off to butcher a bunny.....

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I suppose the good part is that his pannier fund will now be emptied.

I have no need of any more panniers, any future funding is now in aid of a couple of 56xx and a 94xx. (And something Midland(ish) to pacify the local chapter of the Red Brigade!)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

35 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I gave up on using packet sauces many years ago when it became evident that:

1. They contain all kinds of interesting chemicals and stuff (such as palm fat, citric acid, silicon dioxide, flavourings, modified starch, guar gum, xanthan gum, carotenes, sulphites - amongst other interesting compounds) that I would prefer NOT to ingest
  2. Most sauces based on a white sauce (such as a mushroom sauce, cheese sauce, cream sauce or white wine sauce) I could make as quickly as using a packet
  3. There are no real advantages in using a packet for something gets cooked for a long time (such as a casserole).

I do confess that the only "packet" stuff that I have in my kitchen are Thai curry pastes (from Thailand - so made with real ingredients to local tastes) and, of course, Bird's Custard - which is not technically a custard (which takes about as much time to make as Bird's Custard) but something rather unique in its' own right and a British Institution (did you know that Bird's Custard was created by Alfred Bird in 1837 at his chemist shop in Birmingham. He developed the recipe because his wife was allergic to eggs).

Can't stand Bird's custard. Too thick, too sweet and......... Can't think of anything else so you'll have to use your imagination.

Tonight I will be pushing out the boat a bit: saddle of rabbit stuffed with black pudding, cooked Sous-Vide; plums and parsnips and a swede mash. I'll probably sauté some chanterelles to go with it as well.

Now off to butcher a bunny.....

Flavio's turning into a Bunny boiler :bo_mini:

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Andrew, I think you will find that by rubber stamping next doors  planning application your council has failed in its statutory obligations, whatever the circumstances. However the planning regulations have been cut back and watered down by politicians of all colours resulting in the situation. By all means put in an objection and if you can put in an order to stop until it is resolved.

4 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Morning all,

: “the world is so screwed up, that in the event of a real zombie apocalypse, there would be ‘zombie rights’ activists“. Obviously, ‘zombie rights’ are important – it is their God-given democratic right to tear open our throats and eat our brains!

iD

Have you ever thought that the zombies might be already amongst us disguised as anti-vaxxers, Covid deniers and a few other weirdo's to which I would add anti abortionists (the sort that congregate outside clinics to scream their bile at women entering those clinics) and lycra louts who ignore red lights as they are already 'un-dead'. Well thats my theory anyway.:jester:

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon everyone 

This morning after breakfast I went straight to the workshop and carried on working on the turntable. I'm just taking a bit of a break so thought I'd catch up with ER's. 

Not much else of note happening today.

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, polybear said:

Nooooo.......:cry:

Now where did I put that recipe for bear casserole??? :devil::biggrin_mini::diablo_mini: :jester:
Bunnies were butchered (basically broken down into forelegs, saddle, hindlegs and “trimmings”) and the saddles boned out (for which I would award myself 7/10 as the boned saddles remained only partly intact at the thin part [which is found just above the spine], though the rest of the meat was kept intact).

One of these days I’ll have to take a meat butchery course...

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Can't stand Bird's custard. Too thick, too sweet and......... Can't think of anything else so you'll have to use your imagination.

...Flavio's turning into a Bunny boiler :bo_mini:

Glutinous is the first word that comes to mind...

I find that if you start with Bird’s Custard Powder (as opposed to ready-made Bird’s Custard) you can adjust the sweetness and consistency by decreasing the amount of sugar used and increasing the amount of milk. With a bit of experimentation you can get a semi-sweet, thin, pouring custard that would meet your needs.

”Bunny Boiler”? I think not! Rabbit is too lean to be boiled (unless you enjoy eating leather). Like all very lean meats, Rabbit benefits from being cooked “low and slow” with a fat source (bacon, prosciutto, a rabbit and pork farce, black pudding) to keep it moist.

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

...Have you ever thought that the zombies might be already amongst us disguised as anti-vaxxers, Covid deniers and a few other weirdo's to which I would add anti abortionists (the sort that congregate outside clinics to scream their bile at women entering those clinics) and lycra louts who ignore red lights as they are already 'un-dead'. Well thats my theory anyway.:jester:

Sadly (or perhaps fortunately), such types - as gruesome as they may be - are not “undead”. Whilst it is undeniable that their cortex is functioning at the minimal level possible to sustain life. the rest of the body remains functional - not exhibiting the total organ shutdown, loss of bodily fluids and resulting desiccation of the corpse of a true zombie (as I’ve found in my cellar lab experiments.....). Nor can an insatiable appetite for mega-junk burgers, watery & fizzy beer and deep fried extruded potato products be remotely considered anything like a true zombie “flesh-hunger” (again, as I have seen in my experiments...)

And on that note, I’m off to see what happens when I join two viruses, three prions, a bacterium and a fungus together using CRISPR technology...

Don’t forget to keep your doors locked and gates shut...

Toodle-pip

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

A rather late Gday to you all for various reasons.  Interesting  day yesterday. I took the Volvo to gave the aircon looked at. After about half an hour the guy diagnosed the proble and has cone up with a realively economical solution that doesn't involve either re-gassing and/or a new compressor.  A part has been ordered. In the process he reset all the error codes that were hanging about uncancelled in the system. Some I recognised as pertaining to repairs done some years ago. Then a very interesting  one appeared on screen.  "Mileage manipulated ". It appears that 13 years ago the car may have been clocked when I bought it as a 3 yr old with under 50K on the clock.  Obviously it didn't come with any previous MOT's. Obviously I can't do anything about it now but I might do some digging in the service history that I have.  

in the afternoon I sorted and started to label some slides and discovered another two films worth of negatives mixed up with the packets of slides.  In the evening we took our friends, Grace and Jill out to celebrate Jill's birthday and a good time was had. I was even forced to eat a 2nd piece of fig tart when we got home. It's a hard life.

This morning we both slept in so it was straight to the market after breakfast. As we sat outside with our coffees a sortbof folk orchestra appeared. 2 smallish harps, 2 flutes, 2 guitars, 2 accordians, a harmonica and all conducted by another flautist. It was lovely music, not load and eaucous and much with a sort of scottish/Irish lilt. A lovely morning treat.

Anyway more slide sorting now beckons.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Now where did I put that recipe for bear casserole??? :devil::biggrin_mini::diablo_mini: :jester:
Bunnies were butchered (basically broken down into forelegs, saddle, hindlegs and “trimmings”) and the saddles boned out (for which I would award myself 7/10 as the boned saddles remained only partly intact at the thin part [which is found just above the spine], though the rest of the meat was kept intact).

One of these days I’ll have to take a meat butchery course...

Glutinous is the first word that comes to mind...

I find that if you start with Bird’s Custard Powder (as opposed to ready-made Bird’s Custard) you can adjust the sweetness and consistency by decreasing the amount of sugar used and increasing the amount of milk. With a bit of experimentation you can get a semi-sweet, thin, pouring custard that would meet your needs.

”Bunny Boiler”? I think not! Rabbit is too lean to be boiled (unless you enjoy eating leather). Like all very lean meats, Rabbit benefits from being cooked “low and slow” with a fat source (bacon, prosciutto, a rabbit and pork farce, black pudding) to keep it moist.

Sadly (or perhaps fortunately), such types - as gruesome as they may be - are not “undead”. Whilst it is undeniable that their cortex is functioning at the minimal level possible to sustain life. the rest of the body remains functional - not exhibiting the total organ shutdown, loss of bodily fluids and resulting desiccation of the corpse of a true zombie (as I’ve found in my cellar lab experiments.....). Nor can an insatiable appetite for mega-junk burgers, watery & fizzy beer and deep fried extruded potato products be remotely considered anything like a true zombie “flesh-hunger” (again, as I have seen in my experiments...)

And on that note, I’m off to see what happens when I join two viruses, three prions, a bacterium and a fungus together using CRISPR technology...

Don’t forget to keep your doors locked and gates shut...

Toodle-pip

iD

Flavio Trust you to interprete my comment about boiling bunnies into a recipe suggestion.:unknw_mini: I was infact referring to the scene in the Michael Douglas & Glenn Close film.:P I have in fact eaten rabbit and it was very tasty indeed.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Andrew, I think you will find that by rubber stamping next doors  planning application your council has failed in its statutory obligations, whatever the circumstances. However the planning regulations have been cut back and watered down by politicians of all colours resulting in the situation. By all means put in an objection and if you can put in an order to stop until it is resolved.

Could you interest  your local Councillor to come round and take a look/hear your objections?  They might then light a flame under the ar5es of Buildings Control.......

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Then a very interesting  one appeared on screen.  "Mileage manipulated ". It appears that 13 years ago the car may have been clocked when I bought it as a 3 yr old with under 50K on the clock.  Obviously it didn't come with any previous MOT's. Obviously I can't do anything about it now but I might do some digging in the service history that I have.  

Any ideas why the message has never been seen before, or reported to you?

In other news:

Bear has finally finished de-dusting the Bear Cave :yahoo:

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1