The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Fat isn't an issue - read Dr Jason Fung's books. The 'killer fat' thing from the 80's is disproven by a lot of more recent research. Pastry however.....is made from flour, which is an issue.  As is rice and pasta.  Bread is a killer for me, I had two slices of toast this morning with a brunch as a treat while out withe the bike club, with the resultant BG high when tested 90 minutes later.  #sigh#  So tonight's curry was accompanied with soya 'rice', BG OK by NICE levels.

diabetes.jpg.ab418a5d145455e89a397819811dca60.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

My HbA1c is now 5.5 over the last year (3 tests) diet and exercise only - cholesterol fine despite eating a fair amount of fats.  I still miss real bread and pastry though, never mind cake!

5.5 Nice!

My condition is quite different as my body doesn't produce any insulin at all. It's good you have things under control because being on insulin is a full time nightmare!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Sasquatch said:

5.5 Nice!

My condition is quite different as my body doesn't produce any insulin at all. It's good you have things under control because being on insulin is a full time nightmare!

I'm sure it must be - as a T2 it's not an issue for me, but I also have reactive hypoglycemia, so its a roller coaster of a ride!

• Friendly/supportive 13

58 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

So after a somewhat better day yesterday SWMBO has spent today immersed to an unhealthy degree in the news reports and comment suggesting that some form of nationwide movement and social activity limits short of a lockdown appear imminent.  

Interpreted as "We're heading into the abyss from which we will never return and most of us will die from Covid".

Hey ho.  That's how we roll at the moment.  Up, down and downer.  It's not easy.  And it gets me down too.  

Im going to stick my head over the parapet here.

Yes cases of covid are going up because people are being tested more. But we havent seen death levels anything like predicted i believe August saw covid as the 10th highest cause of deaths in the Uk in fact the normal flu killed more. Countries such as Sweden which havent had the lockdown hasnt been decimated. I personally think the media are driving fear of Covid and that is having a worse effect on the population than the virus itself.

I am on the vulnerable list too i dont go out due to other reasons unless for absolute emergency. I believe a lot of the science around covid at the beggining was heavily flawed because of the newness of the virus.

I would like to point out i am not denying covid exists i just think its not as bad as main stream media would like you to believe i think the correlation of number of cases and deaths show that 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

When I was told I had T2 my blood test gave an HbA1c of 52.  Last test a year later it was 41. Haven’t had this years test.  I think I’m happy with the way it has gone.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 7

• RMweb Gold

For years my fasting blood glucose was about 6mmol/L. Then the target changed and it was felt I needed I needed a glucose tolerance test. After having a fasting test, drinking the most awful sugar loaded drink, a test and then another  a short time later showed as expected a huge rise in glucose levels then a drop to my normal level. 
As for my blocked arteries it can’t be an unhealthy diet. Bad genes and medication side effects probably. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

Had a really nice 14 mile bike ride today, sunny and warm without being to hot to ride in comfort, quite a few small hills round here certainly make the legs burn when climbing them on the bike, luckily the small roads were almost devoid of traffic. Off to Perth in the morning, take care all.

G'night

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, BoD said:

When I was told I had T2 my blood test gave an HbA1c of 52.  Last test a year later it was 41. Haven’t had this years test.  I think I’m happy with the way it has gone.

Mine was 51 this year, it reached 53 at one stage last year but that was probably post holiday by a month or so so I'd been drinking alcohol and three cooked meals a day for a week.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

My last Vampire test ten months  ago registered 53, on the glucose scale, so I've got another two months to try to better that. 

Well. The evening has gone somewhat better,  so no biccies,  nor coffee breaks allowed at the MRC,  some gangers work was done,  and last weeks 430 fence posts, were painted. 

Nice to chat two other club members,  one lady member who had to move house during covid lockdown,  which caused more problems. With moving and lock down she needed to use the big South American river company for various items who kept delivering to the wrong house...   We had a long chat while muddling. 

The other club member generously gave me a part completed Ks GWR rail car., a Hornby  siphon G, and and revell kit cargo ship,  who's hull is a fairly good match to the MacBraynes ferry I need to make for the layout,  there are various other bits in the kit like onboard cranes that will be useful too. 

Goodnight Awl. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Greetings all from Sidcup.

the conservatory is finished  - well apart from one bit that they need to stick on the roof next week (some kind of covering that goes over one of the outside roof struts) and they appear not to have left the keys for the windows. Bit overall we’re pleased with the look. We changed the way the doors opened, they no longer open to the side in front of the kitchen window but out to the back and we feel it works better. I guess the true test of how well they have done will be when it rains!!

MiL who lives in Washington is now prevented from seeing Mrs Lurker and her sister for a weekend of being ladies who lunch (or perhaps lurch) and is thoroughly depressed ; Mrs Lurker is concerned but fairly helpless.

in the meanwhile I have arranged a first pub visit in 6 months for next week- will we make it?

good evening all!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

I can do that.....

A rather well cleaned-up bombsite!

2 hours ago, polybear said:

I understand that a food known as "Grits" is popular in the USA, particularly in the Southern States - and mentioned in that most excellent movie "My Cousin Vinnie".  Well this Little Bear has been eating grit for several weeks now and has yet to see the attraction......

You need to add cheese and some butter to the grits, that is the best way to enjoy them. :jester:

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 2