The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I'd just come down this morning when I heard a noise in the back garden. It turned out to be a young fox looking for slugs and snails under some old scrap wood. As I have mentioned I spent some time talking to my niece yesterday evening and the conversation got round to the age of the properties family members have lived in. It turns out that her present home tops the lot as it dates from the early 1700's at least. The house that my grandparents owned in St. Leonards comes next, built in the early 1800's, then my cottage in Burnham-on-Crouch built in 1863 and then the house in which my mother was born in just over 100 years ago which dates from Edwardian times. Come to think of it it won't be long now before the classic 1930's semi's will be 100 years old. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Come to think of it it won't be long now before the classic 1930's semi's will be 100 years old. 

Mine's from the 1920s, six more years to go.    Hopefully I'll still be here to celebrate its centenary! :whistle:

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Not surprisingly you need to have had a proper safety briefing session before you are allowed into a power station - even to talk to somebody in an office (although you do have to get to the office which could involve hazards of course - see below).  But as EDF is French owned a considerable degree of parent company attitudes prevails when it comes to safety briefings - you sit for about 15 minutes and watch a video; if you haven't been on site in the preceding 6 months you sit and watch it again.   But if you go outside anywhere near the coal stacking area (what's one of those the youngsters might ask) and in various other places then it's full safety gear - hi-vis clothing, proper safety boots (steel toe caps and steel inserts in the soles) gloves, helmet, and safety specs - even for the less than 100 yd walk from the car park to the office doorway.

Staying with electricity one of the heating devices emitted an interesting little bang last night - blew its own RCD and blew the ring main RCD.  Trips duly reset in accordance with their previous given instructions (which came with an assurance you'd never need them) and it restarted although I turned it off overnight.  the company actually use an answering service so the fault was reported to a real human being -  a lady with a very nice Welsh accent.  Katie from the drying company's office was on the 'phone first thing this morning and a technician should be arriving at some time during the day.

Nice weather outside but according to remotely given instructions from herself I am banned from having anything at all to do with the G word apart from watering plants in the greenhouse and the house.  I have not objected to that instruction.  Next IONR test has been booked for a couple of week as from now and I have requested, and been booked with, the same nurse who did the job this week.  this should enable her to hopefully do the job using more than one of my arms as the extraction point and without bruising me (which she rarely does anyway.  It is of course a further test to see if she didn't put a fluence of some sort on me which led to an evening spent in A&E.  Oh and I forgot to mention that Nurse Simone is a rather attractive blonde who occasionally forgets to do up her top button.

I'm sending the lad out to Tesco today but apparently he might not be able to get a copy of the local 'paper because their are claims that somebody has been round buying up every single copy.  I doubt it's my letter (if they've published it) which has caused that but it might have something to do with a front page headline story about a local hairdresser thumping somebody.   I don't know if it is just an allegation or if it states that he did it but teh rumour is that he is the one buying up all the copies.  If it is a sell out I wonder if the publishers will cash in and print a few more?

Have a good day one and all and stay safe.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Mine's from the 1920s, six more years to go.    Hopefully I'll still be here to celebrate its centenary! :whistle:

I have a couple of chairs of similar vintage. When the Elm Park estate, Hornchurch was being built from the mid 20's one of the first buildings was the church, St. Nicholas built in 1925/6. Twenty five years later it was decided that a new church was required and this was built alongside the old one. The pews of the old church were individual wooden chairs and these were sold off. At the time new furniture was still rationed so queues soon formed for these chairs as they made ideal dining/kitchen chairs. My dad and my grandparents obtained six of these chairs between them (they allowed only two chairs per person). I remember my dad removing some of the plywood boxes attached to the backs of some of the chairs that were there for the prayer books. I still have two of these chairs, a bit battered and with several coats of paint but still very much in use.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Morning all,

I'm sending the lad out to Tesco today but apparently he might not be able to get a copy of the local 'paper because their are claims that somebody has been round buying up every single copy.  I doubt it's my letter (if they've published it) which has caused that but it might have something to do with a front page headline story about a local hairdresser thumping somebody.   I don't know if it is just an allegation or if it states that he did it but teh rumour is that he is the one buying up all the copies.  If it is a sell out I wonder if the publishers will cash in and print a few more?

Have a good day one and all and stay safe.

Is the local rag available on line?

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I looked and can’t find a letter from  Mike but the story about a hairdresser certainly is prominently featured.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Yes but still not got anything in it from this week!!!

Incidentally for those who collect (possibly) Govt inspired Covid nonsense.  i have had a lot of trouble getting hold of the surgery in the past week because they seem to be inundated with 'phone calls.  Notwithstanding that the first thing you get when you ring is a recorded message telling you not to go there with Covid symptoms and giving you a number to call they have been inundated with calls asking for Covid tests.  Which of course of itself suggests there are a lot of idiots in this town (I don't doubt that) but in addition the schools have a letter from the LEA saying that if anyone has Covid symptoms or thinks they need a test they are to 'contact their health provider'.  So there is either a truly brain dead idiot working in the LEA or they have received instruction from an idiotic hermit employed in the Ministry of Education (or whatever it is called this week) proving that either - or both of them - is so far out of touch with events, procedures. and numerous Govt messages and adverts,  that their only suitable public sector employment should be cleaning the streets - preferably using a toothbrush to do it.  Just goes to show the extent to which the quality and common sense of so called public servants has declined. but I bet they're red hot on just about any sort of 'diversity' issue you care to mention.

And then we have politicos telling us there would be no problems if everybody used their common sense - they should start with their own employees.  BTW the nearest test centre is 30 miles away, in a city  with a population of over 150,000 and which has problems of its own with an increasing rate of infection.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

No wonder they can't organise track and trace

Perhaps they should get the people who do "about your recent motoring accident " to do track and trace. I saw a report that Amazon might take over. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Incidentally for those who collect (possibly) Govt inspired Covid nonsense.  i have had a lot of trouble getting hold of the surgery in the past week because they seem to be inundated with 'phone calls.  Notwithstanding that the first thing you get when you ring is a recorded message telling you not to go there with Covid symptoms and giving you a number to call they have been inundated with calls asking for Covid tests.  Which of course of itself suggests there are a lot of idiots in this town (I don't doubt that) but in addition the schools have a letter from the LEA saying that if anyone has Covid symptoms or thinks they need a test they are to 'contact their health provider'.  So there is either a truly brain dead idiot working in the LEA or they have received instruction from an idiotic hermit employed in the Ministry of Education (or whatever it is called this week) proving that either - or both of them - is so far out of touch with events, procedures. and numerous Govt messages and adverts,  that their only suitable public sector employment should be cleaning the streets - preferably using a toothbrush to do it.  Just goes to show the extent to which the quality and common sense of so called public servants has declined. but I bet they're red hot on just about any sort of 'diversity' issue you care to mention.

And then we have politicos telling us there would be no problems if everybody used their common sense - they should start with their own employees.  BTW the nearest test centre is 30 miles away, in a city  with a population of over 150,000 and which has problems of its own with an increasing rate of infection.

Oh that's insulting to us cleansing persons. Anyway I will have you know that we are known as environmental cleansing operative - hazardous waste or E.C.H.O for short.:crazy_mini:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

A lot of the problem is that tests are not available at a local source as i have recently found out. As someone who has cleaned the streets for a living and would still be doing apart from illness I wouldn't want these non sensical sort helping me there were enough silly bu99ers in the office to start with

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Ps my job title was Street cleansing operative when i started i was Assitant environment operative.

Yes i did have a barrow like Arthur Fowler had on Eastenders.  I used to do Castleford town centre. I loved the job because i wasnt making anybody rich you could see you were making a difference. 

My mum always said if i didnt do well at school i would end up sweeping the streets. I did well 8 gcse 3 alevels and a degree and still ended up doing it. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yes but still not got anything in it from this week!!

We must have faster internet out here. There was a photo of the alleged victim with a facial dressing. There was a report of who was alleged to have said what to whom. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

I have returned from my overseas (well it is estuarial at least) trip. I drank lots of water before reporting to the Canvey blood test clinic and the phlebotomist still had to play chase the vein but she didn’t cause any pain. I had booked the first afternoon session so there was no queue. These results are for the Heart Failure Clinic who want to see me on Tuesday. I’ll get Aditi to drive me as parking is problematic. 
My SiL who is a GP and parent of small children said she expects children being sent home with “symptoms” and requiring a negative test before being allowed to return being a thing all winter.  My niece was sent home last Friday and required a test which happened on Saturday, negative  result early on Monday morning. 
Tony

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 45568 said:

With the 2020 Tour de France coming to its conclusion, this rare 80 y.o. photo from the 1940 TdF has come to light.

thumbnail_tour_de_france_1940.jpg.cc0926526c7830fb8d1c4adde593d8b4.jpg

Cheers from fortress WestOz,

Peter C.

They look like Wehrmacht troops to me.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

My letter hasn't been published this week - probably a bit late for them to ask tehhrelevant Councillor (i.e the one who is not WFH in our dining room) for the answers to the questions I posed.

Incidentally amusing new 'phone call scam which has been going on for sometime but in a much less subtle manner.  Young lady calls and asks to speak to Mr Stationmaster then contact aestablished informs me that her company have taken over the maintenance of our solar panels from the company which installed them.  right says I - can you confirm the name of teh company which installed them if you have taken over from them.  Deadly silence - to which I replied 'so you obviously haven't got a clue which company taht was, goodbye'.  But at least a bit cleverer than those who used to ring up and say we are now maintaining your solar panels' - end of.  I just replied to them with a number e.g. 'you are number 21'.  which led, hopefully, to them asking 'what do you mean number 21?'  'The 21st con-artist who has tried that story, bye bye.'

Mrs Stationmaster and the Good Doctor are in Plymouth having arrived by pedestrian ferry.  They might go back that way or they might take a 'bus.  Meanwhile back at the ranch (another bs bingo phrase where I once worked) one heat pump has been replaced and  some tests show that some wall drying put has taken place since Monday - in places.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Been to the private clinics for an eye appointment. 

That would be the private eye clinic then :jester:

Is that where they send people to cure problems playing I-Spy? 

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Not much got done today, time seems to have evaporated. I'm glad that I have no need for a Corvid-19 test. They are doing them in a car park near me but they insist on everyone attending by car. Here comes the rub, there are massive road works/alterations going on around the car park where the testing is taking place. Even I with my dodgy legs can walk down there in 5-10 minutes when by car could take twice as long. Now to get the dinner ready, use by date bingo as usual.

• Like 16

22 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Now to get the dinner ready, use by date bingo as usual.

Ah! Another nod to the passing of Common Sense.

An invention of (I believe) one chain of 'super'markets (did somebody say Just Sneeze?) to ensure stock rotation.

Thought: water is the oldest recyclable resource on the planet; why does it carry a use-by date? Also, why is the use-by date on a 5 year matured cheese next Thursday?

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Oh dear, it appears pasties and glucose levels don't mix.... 

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size:

pasty (284g grams)

Amount Per Serving

Calories from Fat 396

Calories 705

% Daily Value*

68%

Total Fat 44g grams

105%

Saturated Fat 21g grams

55%

Sodium 1328mg milligrams

17%

Total Carbohydrates 52g grams

22%

Dietary Fiber 5.4g grams

Sugars 5.1g grams

Protein 23g grams

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

It'll take a 4 hour strenuous hike to burn  off a large Ginsters Cornish pastie !

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 9