The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

On 15/09/2020 at 20:26, Tony_S said:

No not the Who. They are a British beat combo...

That expression dates you! But I think that The Who themselves would dispute that they are (or were) a “beat combo“.  They were most definitely, thanks to Kit Lambert, “Mods“. As anyone who has read anything about The Who or had seen the film/heard the LP Quadrophenia would know

On 15/09/2020 at 21:44, Tony_S said:

So is BokStein Bok stine, steen or shtine ?

Well, if you want to be truly pedantic the Germans, Austrians and Swiss would pronounce it “stine”, As in Albert Einstein.

23 hours ago, BokStein said:

Well, I say Schtine but iL Dottore of this parish prefers 'Stone'! ;)

Mr “Stone.“ is being, I fear, somewhat economical with the Vérité.  I refer to Herr Stein as “Mr Stone”, because I am addressing him in English, just as I wouldn’t use the term Firenze when talking to someone in English about Florence, the city. 

13 hours ago, grandadbob said:

....I'm getting a bit worried because as far I can remember I haven't had a proper mishap for several months which means that I'm possibly probably heading for a fall or similar...

I fear, GDB, that by thinking this way you may be subconsciously preparing yourself to give yourself a degree of “self harm“.  By thinking, for example, that you will fall off the ladder, when you actually go up the ladder you will - of course - fall off that device.  Assuming, if I may, that you believe that you get a certain a number of mishaps per calendar year, perhaps you should deliberately cause some minor, non-life-threatening, mishap to occur to you on a regular basis. The rationale being that, if you believe that you are due you one mishap per calendar month, then if you give yourself a minor and noninjurious mishap every month you will have exhausted your quota of mishaps and nothing further of an adverse nature will affect you.

Either that or it’s believing that the universe is an uncaring psychopath deliberately designed to cause you harm, so why not throw in the towel already.

10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

... our local casualty unit who said I had to go to the RBH because I'm on warfarin so there were went.  So notwithstanding being somebody on warfarin with a minor head injury triage s didn't happen for over an hour and it was then nearly 3 hours until I was in a cubicle being examined - that bit was handled cleanly and efficiently.  Then a wait for a CT scan which finally took place nearly 5 hours after whatever internal damage mihght have been done had been done - but the scan revealed no damage so eventually home after nearly 5 hours in A&E....

What the hell were they doing for three hours in A&E?  As somebody with a number of comorbidities, who is on warfarin and has a head injury/scalp bleed, in any sane and well run A&E you would be at the front of the line for triage. Once initially assessed, and stabilised if necessary, you’d then might have to wait around for three hours, but at least you would have the reassurance of knowing that you had been assessed by a physician and your condition-such as it is/was - was not immediately life-threatening.
At the risk of sounding and being unbelievably cynical, I think the lot a lot of what you experienced, both in A&E and elsewhere withIn the NHS system, is/was due to the fact that it is often far too hard to get rid of the incompetent, the callous and Indifferent.
Your comment about how generously scalp wounds bleed brought back memories of paramedic training. At the time we were taught that if we came upon a car accident and one person had blood pouring down their face screaming all kinds of bloody murder whilst the other was moaning quietly and unwilling to move or be touched, the patient taking priority was the quiet one...

2 hours ago, polybear said:

then Bears are rather partial to Mince Pies (of the type found in the Cake Isle).....  

Is this the same wondrous Isle of Cakes of which I have heard people whisper? A place of magical enchantment? Where pâtisserie shrubs abound, herds of Dundee fruitcake graze unconcernedly on the grass and bears bathe in limped pools of runny honey?
Or is it simply aisle number 7 at the local Tess Coes?

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

My last fist aid course as part of my driver Cpc they told ud to leave the quiet ones and see to the noisy ones first. 

Just watching 24hrs in A+E some old boy has destroyed his thumb with a circular saw. The paramedic said he couldnt look at it he nearly passed out in the back of the ambulance. 

Said he was squeamish round blood.

To be fair the Dr and nurse pulled faces seeing it

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

My last fist aid course as part of my driver Cpc they told ud to leave the quiet ones and see to the noisy ones first. 

Really?  My most recent first aid course taught us the basic triage of attending to the quiet ones first because they were most likely to be more seriously hurt in a major incident.  

• Agree 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

My last fist aid course as part of my driver Cpc they told ud to leave the quiet ones and see to the noisy ones first....

That doesn’t sound right to me. In my training, and through my experience, it’s certainly not the noisy ones that are the most badly injured and require the most urgent attention. Of course, what your instructor may have been referring to is that for most laypeople what you can do for the very badly injured is quite limited.  Apart from following the ABCs (airway, breathing, circulation), management of the severely injured requires things like intravenous fluids, intubation and, various pharmaceutical supports (involving, sometimes, some quite serious drugs).  It’s not to say that the noisy ones can’t be seriously injured, of course they can; but they aren’t generally in danger of immediately dying

15 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Really?  My most recent first aid course taught us the basic triage of attending to the quiet ones first because they were most likely to be more seriously hurt in a major incident.  

As I have just mentioned, this is indeed a good rule of thumb. Sadly, it can mean that there is not much you can do for the very badly injured except to make sure that they are as comfortable as possible in the situation they are in

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Just watching 24hrs in A+E some old boy has destroyed his thumb with a circular saw. The paramedic said he couldnt look at it he nearly passed out in the back of the ambulance. 

Said he was squeamish round blood.

To be fair the Dr and nurse pulled faces seeing it

Fortunately ths sight of blood has never really worried me - until you've seen a DMU with the entire front end showing the all too obvious liquid result of a. collision with half a dozen young heifers you don't really know what a lot of blood in one place looks like.  However my reaction to seeing parts, various, of a human body lying around where they fell after t was hit by a train is a little more squeamish.

29 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Your comment about how generously scalp wounds bleed brought back memories of paramedic training. At the time we were taught that if we came upon a car accident and one person had blood pouring down their face screaming all kinds of bloody murder whilst the other was moaning quietly and unwilling to move or be touched, the patient taking priority was the quiet one...

Many years ago I organised the provision and positioning of three condemned coaches at Castle Cary  for the use of RNAS Yeovilton as a simulated train crash with plenty of casualties (from the RN branch of the Casualties Union would you believe) as part of their Admiral's Inspection.   And of course I had the pleasure and occasional amusement of being an onsite advisor (to the invigilator) plus trying to prevent any external damage to the vehicles which would prevent them being moved subsequently - RN Firemen being even keener than their civilian brethren to cut their way through any problem objects such as the side of a railway coach.

It was all great fun but one of the star turns was a little WRN about 5 feet tall playing a supposedly hysterical, but lightly physically injured casualty - and a very clever one.  What she always did was search out and and obstruct/divert the attention of the most senior person she could find in charge of rescue work -inevitably the first on the scene was a relatively inexperienced lieutenant leading the initial reaction and recce party.  She was really good at it and great fun to watch but was usually dealt with when an experienced senior PO/CPO arrived on site.  When they'd run a similar sort of exercise at Lossiemouth she tried her tricks on a Fleet Chief - who didn't mess about, he knocked her out cold.  But it didn't put her off going through the same game at every exercise she took part in and almost every time some poor two-striper was losing marks and gaining a bit of a going over for not ignoring her.

Very interesting exercise and a big - but probably useless - lesson I learnt from it was what not to do if you happen to have plenty of helicopters available for casualty evacuation - don't keep them waiting in an airborne 'stack' immediately beyond the boundary of the field you are using as a landing ground.   It's better to have them a mile or more a way because the noise - that day from a maximum of 5 Wessex in the stack at one stage   drowns out all attempts at normal conversation but more importantly listening for casualties trapped in wreckage - yet another 2 ringer was marked down hard for that piece of poor management but apparently it was a common mistake among less experienced officers.  The other useless lesson was how it was for one of those big 6 wheeler Alvis fire tenders to get bogged down in a very ordinary looking grassland field.  Much to the farmer's subsequent chagrin, the crew solved their problem by emptying the vehicle's fire fighting material - leaving a rather large patch of field covered in an awful lot of foam. 

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The last of the bread pudding has been consumed, the fact that it lasted a bit over 24 hours from leaving the shelf at Tess Coes is a miracle in itself. Only down side is that I will have to lay off cakes and biscuits until the weekend at least, I've managed so far to keep my BG within limits as I certainly have no wish to stray into T2 territory. Bin day tomorrow so its time to get the bags ready, be back later.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I’ve done absolutely bu99er all today and I don’t feel guilty about it either! I’ve mostly been on the computer in the office, sorting out some of the files and deleting those that are no longer wanted. I then sorted out the ‘recycle bin’ on the computer too, it’s now empty! I also printed off a few more sheets for the locomotive shed that I intend to build, hopefully I’ve enough printed out, but if not it only takes a few seconds to print more off. 

We’ve been rather decadent tonight, having steak and chips for tea and it’s only Wednesday, now that really did hit the spot.

Goodnight all 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

...Then I ended up giving someone cpr and it failed and ended up with PTSD...

Certainly CPR, especially if you do it properly, is not for the faint hearted. The first time I did CPR (in a hospital setting to boot) there was an almighty crack when I gave the first compression - it was the patient’s sternum separating from their  ribcage.  This is quite common in elderly patients and, if they survive the cardiac problem necessitating CPR, they will certainly be in a world of hurt. Which, of course, is probably better than being in “a world of dead“.

What I find happens, when doing any kind of intervention or procedure, is that you concentrate on the matter in hand, essentially reducing Mr Smith or Miss Jones to the broken finger or the deep laceration that needs to be fixed.

To be honest, there are only two events that took place when I was training that stuck in my mind. The first was the case of a young woman who overdosed, arrested and who we were unable to resuscitate (a story for another time).

The second, however, is quite amusing (and still slightly embarrassing). As it was a quiet shift for me, one of the ward nurses on a very busy unit asked me if I could help her take vital signs on the patients. I agreed and we leapfrogged the patients: in one room I would do the blood pressure and the nurse would do pulse and respiration and then vice-versa.  All went well until we got to the last room on the ward; a single patient room, it was occupied by a young lady - quite pneumatically endowed - wearing a transparent nightgown, who was engrossed in a TV soap opera.  Well, it was my turn to take pulse and respiration; in normal patients - at that time - respiration was measured by simply observing the rise and fall of the patient’s chest for 15 seconds and multiplied by four. So I started observing this young lady’s finer points oscillate and started counting only to repeatedly lose track and have to start again. The patient was totally oblivious to this, even though I felt myself getting redder and redder....  I looked away from the patient to my colleague who was taking the patient’s blood pressure and saw, to my embarrassment, that she had stuffed her fist in her mouth to stop herself from laughing out loud and tears of amusement were coursing down her cheeks....
Surprisingly, this resulted in only a few day’s worth of amusement for, and ribbing by, the nursing staff.

5 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Feel like I've gone back in time thirty years to time in IT Support.

Quarter to midnight and I'm eating a bowl of cereal.

If that’s your evening meal, then it’s sad, very sad.....:cry:

But if it’s a late night snack, well done you for “thinking outside the box” :smoke:

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

came home, had tea and fell  asleep listening to the cricket. Unfortunately I’ve woken up and can’t drop off. ...

Try tuning into one of the baseball games broadcast over an American radio channel (all readily available, thanks to the internet). Baseball, I am reliably informed, is better than propofol for inducing a lack of consciousness! (propofol and fentanyl - now that’s a really fun combination - as I discovered last year when I underwent knee surgery... definitely a happy camper after getting that combo)

Sadly, no opiate fuelled Nirvana awaits me today: just the creation of a SWOT analysis on 7 types of cancer.....

Enjoy Thursday

iD

• Like 12
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Greetings one and all

It is reassuring to read that cold water is indeed the correct medium for removing bloodstains from garments, not that I have to do it very often.  As I become more clumsy with age I cut myself shaving more often but tend not to notice the blood on my face until the garment has passed over my head and brushed against the source of blood.  I do not envy Mike for what happened to him.  Brambles are for making jelly but I offer my sympathy to Mike after his too close encounter with the species!

A long time ago, when The Who were very, very young, one of the music papers revealed that their first important public appearance was at Acton Town Hall.  Me too.  In my last year of primary school I was in a competitive music festival for schools.  What is, I think, called an operetta saw yours truly in the role of Franz Josef Haydn with an awful fake German accent a generation or two before such things proliferated with "Allo Allo".  That great filtering process that was the 11 plus saw me off to Latymer Upper School in Hammersmith.  Had I done less well I would have ended up at Acton County School alongside Pete Townshend.

Area Group was Zooming again last night.  The prospects of returning to the preferred habitat of a pub look as remote as ever as long as those who rule us limit numbers in a gathering.  Other regular meetings show no sign of being revived.  Most of them are on church premises because no-one else has suitable rooms for hire.  There is a distinct reluctance on the part of our ecclesiastical hosts to hire out their rooms on account of the perceived need for deep cleaning that never used to take place before that ruddy virus spoiled everything.  This is matched only by the reluctance of the membership to go anywhere for fear of the imagined consequences.  How I tire of scaremongering.

Best wishes to all

Chris

Edited by chrisf
two typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Is this the same wondrous Isle of Cakes of which I have heard people whisper? A place of magical enchantment? Where pâtisserie shrubs abound, herds of Dundee fruitcake graze unconcernedly on the grass and bears bathe in limped pools of runny honey?

Or is it simply aisle number 7 at the local Tess Coes?

Most definitely the Isle of Cakes, where everything is free, has zero calories, never ends and is never sold out of your favourite.

Personally I find Tess Coes somewhat downmarket, an opinion not helped by having been tramped by an excitable Hippo a few months back.  I'm sure he didn't mean it though - not only was his supersize trolley piled high with cake of all varieties, he also had his arms full.  I do recall noting the presence of an Army 10T truck in the car park, which appeared somewhat out of place.

8 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

The AA Handbook section for first aid included a phrase to the effect of "Don't remove a motorcyclist's crash helmet unless they have stopped breathing or significant head injury is suspected".  Just what joe bloggs is supposed to do at the road side with suspected significant head injury is still a mystery to me.  I wrote to the AA about it, but all I got back was drivel.  The very, very last thing I'd want is good samaritan removing my crash helmet in the event of an accident, especially if head injury is suspected - a decent, properly fitting helmet (no jokes) is surprisingly tight on yer bonce when removing.  It's a good way to put someone in a wheelchair if they also have spinal injuries.

• Like 13
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1