The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It isn’t sunny but it is pleasantly warm. Our not very full bin bag went out early this morning. It wasn’t anything I was aware of. We had cups of tea and biscuits during the night. Aditi didn’t sleep well. Someone had terminated a phone call quite abruptly and it was playing on her mind. 
I don’t have any plans but the Rehab Handbook I received yesterday suggests going for a walk (recording steps taken) should be part of my daily routine. The rehab nurse had asked if I wanted a pedometer. I declined as my phone does that reasonably adequately. I also declined the relaxation cd. 
Tony

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Like yesterday, it’s a dull start with a few clouds but it is due to get warmer with some more sunshine. 

Theres not a lot planned for today, possibly pottering about in the cellar for the most part, as it will be a bit cooler in there and I’ve got a bit too hot working outside over the last couple of days. 

Sheila is going to the hairdressers later and will be out for at least an hour, so I’ll have the place to myself. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Shopping has been completed but it took longer than planned.  Hardly anybody there but of those who were were several old colleagues and customers that The Boss knew from her 38 years employment  sentence with them so of course "we" had to have a chat.  Only one person (on a mobility scooter) not wearing a mask but she had a notice hanging round her neck declaring she was exempt.

Coffee time now and then 'twould appear that I'm free to do as I please as no"cunning plans" have appeared from Herself.

I might stroll down to The Shed for a couple of hours before lunch.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Good to see Robert, and Mike please do be careful!

Norra lot to say today, although Baz, I can't say how much I don't miss either the A19 or Testo's roundabout!  Once got knocked off a brand new (3 days) 750 Honda at Testo's, had to sue the guy/insurance company to get my money. Successfully I may add.

After yesterday's glorious weather today is a disappointment, 18c and dull, I walked too much yesterday so a fairly lazy day is on the cards.

Two more covid cases here, but both returnees from the UK so they have been in isolation anyway which is compulsory (another person just jailed for failing to), so no community transmission.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

it's a very old account, no cards or online transactions.. I'd have to close it and open a new one anyway, which with all the regulations these days, it's just not worth the effort.

Oh, the nearest cash point for that bank is a 20 mile round trip..

Those accounts are useful to gave and opening new ones is a real pain in the proverbial.  We had one at the club that was setvup to deal with the estate ofva member. Solicitors and family were involved so we wanted a clear audit trail.  We used it subsequently for the same purpose with other members estates so it was useful to have.  We did get queried by the bank re inactivity  but when I rang them and explained theybagreed to keep it open but to only send statements out when activity occured.  It mightvwell becworth a letter or phone call.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Those accounts are useful to gave and opening new ones is a real pain in the proverbial.  We had one at the club that was setvup to deal with the estate ofva member. Solicitors and family were involved so we wanted a clear audit trail.  We used it subsequently for the same purpose with other members estates so it was useful to have.  We did get queried by the bank re inactivity  but when I rang them and explained theybagreed to keep it open but to only send statements out when activity occured.  It mightvwell becworth a letter or phone call.

Jamie

I phoned them, they are insistent the account be used..

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I phoned them, they are insistent the account be used..

Set up a monthly standing order from your own account to the unused account for £10. Then two days later set up another monthly standing order from the unused account back to your own account also for £10. Account is now being used so bank can't complain! 

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Norra lot to say today, although Baz, I can't say how much I don't miss either the A19 or Testo's roundabout!  Once got knocked off a brand new (3 days) 750 Honda at Testo's, had to sue the guy/insurance company to get my money. Successfully I may add.

And isn't it a wonderful feeling when you screw one over on an Insurance Company...... :)

(Been there, done that, got the t-shirt; mine was a car smash - a new XR2 with under 1K miles on the clock)

(Also a 1985 CB750FD mothballed in the shed, under 4K miles, one owner, never seen rain.  Was planning to resurrect it this year and sell it, under C-19 got in the way.  Maybe next spring.....).

p.s. Can we borrow your Police Force and Law Courts over here please?

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Further to bloodstains on white shirts The Boss has (unsurprisingly) dealt with this problem on several occasions.  Too late for Mike but the best thing is to get it soaking in cold water before it's dried.   She always rubs some Fairy liquid into the stain before putting on a boil wash (if cotton) or the highest temperature possible for whatever material the shirt is.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

...snip... Litle birdy flying high drops a parcel from the sky. Angry farmer wiping eye, thanks the Lord that cows can't fly.

Jamie

In its various iterations, an oldie but a goodie! :yahoo_mini: Seagulls on the other hand .......................................

• Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

And isn't it a wonderful feeling when you screw one over on an Insurance Company...... :)

(Been there, done that, got the t-shirt; mine was a car smash - a new XR2 with under 1K miles on the clock)

(Also a 1985 CB750FD mothballed in the shed, under 4K miles, one owner, never seen rain.  Was planning to resurrect it this year and sell it, under C-19 got in the way.  Maybe next spring.....).

p.s. Can we borrow your Police Force and Law Courts over here please?

Our low crime environment here is rather pleasant!  I used to work in the system employed by the police and social services jointly as the office manager of our equivalent of a young offenders team - not a job I would do in the UK!

I hope you drained the carbs on the 750.......otherwise you have a really awkward and messy job to do!  Modern fuel is disgusting when left.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Further to bloodstains on white shirts The Boss has (unsurprisingly) dealt with this problem on several occasions.  Too late for Mike but the best thing is to get it soaking in cold water before it's dried.   She always rubs some Fairy liquid into the stain before putting on a boil wash (if cotton) or the highest temperature possible for whatever material the shirt is.

Interestingly the shirt went intp cold water around 6 hours after it had been christened and it had some effect. this omorning it has gone into a bowl of cold, salted water and that seems to be havinga. further impact.  Fairy liquid usually works really well on fresh stains although I've never tried it on blood - thus far.   And a light luncheon of baked beans with sausages on toast has been consumed,   Further comfort food (cod & chips) is planned for this evening although not yet known if it will be the Sikh version (the best locally), the Chinese version, or the Portuguese version (their evining chips have a nasty habit of being lunchtime re-warms).

When my nose goes 'pop' (as earlier this afternoon!) I usually mange to catch the output before it goes further than me although I occasionally fail.  Incidentally yesterday's efforts by Simone, the Good Count's daughter, have brought in a verdict of INR down to 2.9 which gets it into the target range - good news for once!!

• Friendly/supportive 17

Greetings all from Sidcup where it is sunny but not s warm as yesterday - but as i have spent most of the time in my "office" i haven't really noticed. Mrs Lurker does not work on a Wednesday so did most of the dealing with the conservatory men, although i did help with a little bit of the manhandling of the frames over the next door neighbour's garage roof. He, incidentally, will be getting a bottle of wine for the trouble we've caused him. 

The CFO has decided he wants something urgent for a meeting on Friday - and it really seems that he has decided to notice something a fortnight before year end which he has been too busy to think about all year. And when he realises the reason it looks bad is because the results are bad and there is no magic tax wand we can wave, then he will not be too impressed. But the numbers do at least tie in to the forecast we have been giving him all year!

Sorry to read of the Stationmaster's  mishap with the brambles , but at least it seems like no permanent damage has been done. i have never managed to significantly damage my face when wearing glasses - I was particularly relieved I was wearing contact lenses one day when the ball reared almost vertically from a good length ball, avoiding my forward defensive and striking me on the cheekbone, the seam cutting my eyebrow.

Anyway, a bit more work beckons so enjoy the remains of the day

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

So Stationmaster joins the GDB ranks - do be careful out there folks, we are fragile, in spite of all our attempts to prove otherwise! :friends:

HUMP day - wahoo...

Nothing happening here to speak of, yesterday a brief trip/visit with Bob to his place of origin. The family the Mrs works for love to see him, especially since they can't have a cat or dog due to allergy issues. He also seem to somewhat remember being in their place, even though it's a while ago now.

Today he won't be such a "happy cat" as it's his annual shot/checkup at the vet. They like seeing him also even though he's generally less impressed with them poking at him! :jester:

Nothing else to report, except Jemma is heading over today to hang out with the Mrs - me, working.

Started out at 14 and sunny, heading towards 21 and mostly clear but some high intermittent overcast from the fires out west...

It's all downhill to the weekend, let's go :senile:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The by-pass for the new Farcebook seems to be working as apparently they do not offer the return to old Farcebook when they put you into the new one. I've also found that they also have a by-pass for Farcebooks sh!t order top posts which they will put you in whether you like it or not, I much prefer new activity. There's loads of other features that make it a lot easier to use Farcebook. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 11

Quiet day today, chopped up a heap of wood for the winter fires, went to the next village to the chemists for monthly supply of pills. Sainsbugs delivered the comestibles and we later went for a walk down the lane to look at the railway, still no trains, which they said there would be. Still trying to buy a new bit for the front of the wheeled bits that move on parallel bits of metal in The Old Summer House, there seems to be a lot of expensive broken stuff for sale just now.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Northroader said:

I hope you scrounged plenty of lead offcuts while the guy was there.

Oh yes :)  All the old stuff that came off, plus any scrap offcuts were collected up and weighed in down the non-ferrous scrappies. About forty or fifty quid's worth, from memory.....

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

A Beary promise is a Beary promise.......

...snip...

The other side of that window currently looks like a bomb site at present, as I refurb the kitchen......

...snip...

That would be an "interesting" photo in addition! :jester:

• Like 12