The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

...snip... I also managed to scan several more batches of slides during the day.

Regards to all and may our western friends stay safe.

Jamie

I have been reading about your slide-scanning odyssey; what are you using to scan your slides? I have several thousand that I want to do and picked up a used Nikon Cool Scan IV ED. I think that I will have to put together a new XP machine to do it. I have the original XP Professional discs plus the three service packs that all came with a now-defunct laptop that I got from an IT manager. If I can go with a simpler procedure, that might be better although the XP machine will have a couple of other uses, too. Programming bus headsigns, for one; one of the signs that I created for the agency that I worked for:

100_4406.JPG.f0feaa625ec1cb7d864340cf567a7ffd.JPG

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, chrisf said:

Greetings one and all ...snip...

We don't want to fight, but by jingo if we do

We've got the ships, we've got the men, we've got the money too 

...snip...

Best wishes to all

Chris    

I recall reading that part of it sometime ago but do not remember where or what the circumstances were.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

It’s been a lovely sunny day here, blue skies and warm winds, it was so bright this morning that I didn’t need to switch the light on in the workshop!

plenty of progress has been made with the control panel, the extra circuit boards have now been installed and both the 5v and 12v common feeds are in, I’d already installed the common 0v line a few weeks ago. When testing the wiring I +are across a strange fault, on of the coms line was open circuit right at the last circuit board, but when I unplugged the feed and tested the wiring it was ok, plug it back in and the fault was back. So I removed the last board, and checked the onboard links and re-soldered them just in case. I also dismantled the inter-connecting lead, all looked ok, plugged everything back together and all was fine. I don’t like that sort of repair, because I haven’t actually found anything wrong and I do like to find something tangible, so that I KNOW I’ve fixed it, I just hope that it’s cured it. 

Best wishes to all all those who are caught up one way or another in all these fires. 

Goodnight all.

Brian

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare, 811/507

A poor nights sleep , too many aches and pains from the work over the week end, Pink pills for breakfast, which was a little late as I over slept..

Ben the alarm clock Collie, is now running late, he's reached the stage of I'm scared of the dark Collie , so I don't want to go out this early. Even in the dawns early light he was somewhat reluctant..

One cockwomble this morning, yes he had his lights on his bicycle.. but wearing all black lycra?

As is usual they told every one to leave the computers on over the weekend due to an update... As is also usual, as soon as you've turn the screen on and logged in, it loads in the updates and wants to reboot..

I should have two systems this morning, one a hang over from last week, the other this weeks scheduled system.. we cshall see.

Time to .. check the company spam before rebooting..

• Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

24 minutes ago, Barry O said:

@chrisf  I bought a Boots own make of blood pressure monitor. It is easy yo use and give both bp and heart rate. We checked its calibration against two of the surgery ones when I went for my blood letting..it is still as good as it needs to be.

Thank you, Barry, that's interesting.  I will check it out, though I see no reason to buy such a thing when I don't want it.  My initial view is that if the surgery want me to check my own BP they can jolly well supply the necessary machinery.  I would prefer the services of a skilled operator as well but one cannot have everything.

Chris

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning to Dave (J S Bach).

8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I have been reading about your slide-scanning odyssey; what are you using to scan your slides? I have several thousand that I want to do and picked up a used Nikon Cool Scan IV ED. I think that I will have to put together a new XP machine to do it. I have the original XP Professional discs plus the three service packs that all came with a now-defunct laptop that I got from an IT manager. If I can go with a simpler procedure, that might be better although the XP machine will have a couple of other uses, too. Programming bus headsigns, for one; one of the signs that I created for the agency that I worked for:

I'm using an Epson V800 that I bought before we moved over here. Apart from the fact that it will do, film, slides and prints, it's main advantage  is that it does them in batches using masks that hold either 12 slides, 3 strips of 35mm film or other combinations of larger format film. If you use the masks it then separates the images and gives them individual file numbers that you can specify in advance. I bought extra masks for the 35mm film and the slides so that I can always be reloading one whilst the next one scans. At 3200 dpi jpg for slides it takes about 15 minutes per batch so I can get other work done in the shed or garden whilst bobbing back in to change over every so often. It wasn't the cheapest but it has been well worth the investment. I don't have shares in Epson. Feel free to PM me if you want any further info. I use it coupled to my Windows 10 laptop.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, chrisf said:

Thank you, Barry, that's interesting.  I will check it out, though I see no reason to buy such a thing when I don't want it.  My initial view is that if the surgery want me to check my own BP they can jolly well supply the necessary machinery.  I would prefer the services of a skilled operator as well but one cannot have everything.

Chris

I bought a Boots one as well and it has proved reliable and easy to use. I even did a little spreadsheet for my GP when I needed to take morning and evening readings for a week.  She was very grateful that I'd also included the average at the bottom. Beth has also had to use it and even the district nurse (over here) used it when her machine was on the blink.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 6

9 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

I have the same scanner and Nikon's software is carp. I use Vuescan instead it's far better.

https://www.hamrick.com/

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning, sunny and still sur le rock, feels most odd.

Belated wishes to Beth, I have been a little pre-occupied this weekend and not on here much.

I use an Omron BP monitor, same as we used to use......in the NHS!  It is accurate enough for home use when occasionally compared with the surgery result.

As for diabetes blood glucose monitors, it was something that hugely annoyed me on diagnosis when told I didn't need one, but then got lectured an what and what not to eat etc.  The only way you can tell, is a check (90 to 120 minutes) after eating!  So I bought one myself as recommended on the various forums, and boy am I glad I did as my results quickly showed that many of the foodstuffs I was told I could eat were actually quite bad for me.  'Eat to your Meter' is the mantra on the forums (diabetes.co.uk highly recommended) and it enabled me to control my blood glucose very quickly without medication.  The 'Desmond' course T2's get sent on still recommends all sorts of things as OK that would have had me on medication and risking my health.  Every diabetic is different, and what one can eat the next cannot, hence monitoring is essential IMHO.  Most diabetics die of cardiac issues, rather than the other longer terms things that go wrong.  /rant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16