The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

11 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

The mention of such may get stuck in some people's throat, though.

Redux Fromage: doubtless a chunk of the GWR; the "Great Way Rind" (pronounced as per QE II) :mosking:

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Deep apologies to Jamie and Beth for the important item I overlooked earlier - happy birthday Beth, and many mire of them.

Simon - the question of booking test came up on 'Any Answers' yesterday and a couple of people said that after ages trying online to book test they just went to their nearest drive-in test centre, dove in (no queue), were tested, and drove out - and still no queue.

From what was being described it sounds as if the online system has become a repository for BR's long abandoned 'Bash peak' experimental loco diagramming program which had a habit of sending light engines a couple of hundred miles to do 30 minutes work.  A couple of people living firmly in the south east had been offered test appointments in Aberdeen (of course we don't know if they pressed the right buttons)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday to Beth.

Morning...

Up earlier than expected after, for some unknown reason, a less than perfect nights sleep for both of us!

Maybe the dark-and-stormy and vino mix last evening watching another couple of "Death in Paradise"! None of us are really warming to Neville Parker as the new DI :(

Msr already off to do some fund raiser work this AM, and I'm off in a while to install an exterior outlet on Trevor and Meagans garage so they can run light/heating (for water feeder) to their new chicken coop! :O

10 first thing, overcast and expected to make it to around 24 later.

Enjoy the day.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Greetings all from Sidcup which is suitably sunny. 

happy birthday to Beth and best wishes to Simon’s youngest; I hope you can get a test and some medical attention whatever it is. Continued thoughts for those over on the West Coast. 

today has seen some of the g word; we bought some plants and some compost for the pots we have knocking around and some bulbs. We will also get some herbs as I use quite a lot when I cook these days. I am now hiding from the F1 news while still trying to check up on the cricket and football news. A nice bottle of rose is chilling for later; I can pretend it is summer with warmth like this!! 

Edited by The Lurker
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Happy birthday to Beth. Only just about to have breakfast/brunch, had a long lie in this morning and an almost as long soak in the bath.

You've trained Ben well if he can make breakfast for you.:jester: I have to do my own so its be back later.

I'm sure he would if he could, he tries hard to please us,  though I suspect little would be left after he had first dibs.. 

Yesterday's work looked OK,  I need to take a bag down there to clear the firewood generated. 

Cockpit combing sanded,  on standing back and observing,  it's a bit "white" some wood dye needs application to tone it down. 

Deck sanded and varnished  OK, 

Hull sanded and painted,  one more coat needed I think.  It was touch dry 2 hours later which shows how warm it is. 

Ben the athletic Collie took me for the long walk,  very hot and who-mid down on the marshes,  I had to sit and rest even if Ben didn't.  A Harnser was seen flying just 3 foot above the ground. Unusual round in this bit of the marshes,  as there's not much open water for them to fish. I was very glad when the breeze increased reducing the who-middity.

Dinner is on its way which is pasty and chips,  this will be followed by a long soak in the bath.. Meantime a glass of red is disappearing.. 

One man has had to resign the MRC due to ill Health, breathing lung problems but he kept smoking... 

3 more have joined the Friday 6 bubble so it won't be so lonely Next Week. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Thanks for that stationmaster but we cant even find the location to go to

A Happy Birthday to Beth.  

Testing.  Hmmmmm.   There is a testing location nearby at the Twickenham Rugby Stadium.  It has only ever been made available for NHS staff and a few others such including RFU staff based at the stadium.  They have always said that there is spare capacity there for drive-ins yet they operate a bookings-only system.  

A friend who of necessity works closely with other people (OK, she's a teacher) requested a booking as a precaution.  No.  She lives a few streets away.  But the nearest test she could get was in the Manchester area.  She doesn't have the time or inclination to travel to a high-infection area just for a test.  And there seems to be no way to ask the system why one cannot get a test five minutes walk away when the venue advertises availability.  

If I go further down that road I may end up foul of the "No Politics" rule.  Let's just say our dear PM might have heard the nickname used for the Midland and Great Northern Railway ;) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

...You've trained Ben well if he can make breakfast for you.:jester: I have to do my own so its be back later.

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I'm sure he would if he could, he tries hard to please us,  though I suspect little would be left after he had first dibs...

I would trust both Lucy and Schotty with my life. I wouldn’t trust them anywhere near a plate of sausages.

I guess you’ve just got to work with what you’ve got!

24 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

A Happy Birthday to Beth. 

Yes, indeed! A happy birthday to Beth. I have no idea how I missed that, I suppose it is an innate blindness to birthdays that seems to afflict me. Apart from Mrs IDs birthday (whose date and year has been indelibly etched into my memory, on pain of death upon forgetfulness) the only other birthday I remember is my own, simply because I’ve had to write it down on too many official forms.

As for celebrating my birthday? Usually not done. In fact, Mrs iD had to seriously nag me for a number of months before I would agree to hold a birthday party to celebrate my 60th birthday. Although I managed to partly weasel out of the celebrations by doing a four course dinner for my 30+ guests and therefore “needing to stay in the kitchen“ for most of the duration of the event (phew!)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

First off happy birthday Beth - I'll raise a glass of Scottish libation to you later, the Smokehead was very good, and this will finish it - I'll probably visit Booths tomorrow to see what else they have on offer.

Welcome back Debs - good to see your sense of humour is still present and on evidence.

Not all other posts have been read or rated, due to - guess what - decorating - so only generic greetings can be offered, but they are and they are offered most sincerely.  Dining room was finished this afternoon. 

Today, we had the strangest flu vaccination to date - a drive through in the open air in a large car park on campus at Lancaster University - approached via a one way system - there were marshalls at every turn to show the way, we joined a queue of cars (time was 08.20, and the vaccinations were due to start at 08.30) and the queue was actually moving, and not all that slowly - we were asked which practice in Lancaster we attended, and were directed to join a short line of vehicles - park up with engine off, and wind down window, roll up sleeve to above the elbow, and a nurse appeared with two shots, one each for 30747 and myself, hers the under 65 version, and mine the over 65 version, which were duly injected through the car window, and we drove off - it wasn't even 8.30 when we left, even though the clinic was scheduled to start at that hour.  No drive through tents or anything, and no bad weather protection for the staff!?  Such is the strange world of Covid19.

Depending on circumstances I may now be off the air for a few days.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Thanks for the info phil.

Lools like a little trip out for any of them. although only about 20 m

Looks like as Gwiver says they are in places where there have been hotspots. After muchos attempts swmbo is on hold with the helpline to try and find out how we get on. The one at Finningley (Doncaster  airport) is the furthest but easiest to get to

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Shaun, I suspect the Medford / Ashland corridor was hit much harder than the SE Portland area and the Obenchain fire seems to be one of the most threatening right now. The Holiday Farm fire east of Eugene seems to have a similar impact on Eugene as fires southeast of Portland.

Clackamas County put everyone in the whole county on Level 1 "be ready" evacuation warnings. This was very precautionary for the parts of Clackamas County in Portland Metro, though towns like Estacada and Mollala were evacuated. Once the winds settled down, the Riverside and Beachie Creek fire complexes in Clackamas and Marion Counties have slowed their eastern advance, though they may well continue to burn until winter rains and snow. I don't believe these fires have combined - which was a concern late last week.

Oregon City and Canby have been scaled back from Level 2 "be set" to Level 1 "be ready" evacuation warnings.

What we need is a weather change to scour out the the smoke trapped by the thermal inversion in the lower atmosphere west of the mountains.  Rain is optimistically forecast for Monday night and into next week. In the meantime we continue to have some of the worst air quality on the planet. It is vile.

Eastern Washington is bad too.

With the easterly, offshore flow that drove the fires, there is currently a vast amount of airborne smoke in the North Pacific. As weather patterns return to prevailing conditions, this smoke will likely move back onshore. Hopefully if it does rain, much of the particulates will be washed out of the air.

Hi Oz.

Thanks for the info. Any amount of rain would be most welcome! :yahoo_mini:

Air quality is extremely hazardous this morning, Jackson county is once again under a red flag warning and the entire county has been put on a level one as a result.

Mrs. S. is at work in Ashland today (down to one day a week due to the COVID threat, she has chosen to work Sunday as she gets the hair salon to herself) so I suspect she will take HWY99 on her way home to see the damage first hand.

Greetings to the rest of you and hope that you are enjoying your Sunday making the most of what ever you're up to.

I myself have a plan to finish all the chores by midday, get cracking on some rolling stock models and make Mrs. S. a big salad with chicken tikka pockets on the side and raspberry  cheese cake for desert.

Regards Shaun   

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

14 hours ago, chrisf said:

Later I watched the Last Night of the Proms.

14 hours ago, chrisf said:

The newly arranged version of Jerusalem I found excruciating and it was as well that it was sung properly later in the concert

From what we saw, it would have been better to forget it this year!  Covid rules, if they are to be adhered to, are too severe for compromises and the Proms are the one thing that should not be compromised, edited or otherwise screwed up!:rolleyes:

Rule Britannia and to heck with the naysayers.:angry:

Brian.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I agree entirely with John about face masks, there are whole groups of people going around without face masks and not socially distancing and the majority seem to be under thirty. I'm well aware that some like Rick are excused from wearing them but I can't believe that there are as many as I see about without masks, I watched the Formula 1 highlights, I switched over half an hour after the program started and as it worked out they were just about to start the race (for the first time) so I didn't miss anything.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1