The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Moaning all,

BIN day today, everything suitably sorted and BINNED...

Ozexpat, looks bad, we've friends in Medford and they're on the verge of evac orders apparently, also Jemma flew into Portland Wednesday night and overnighted before taking a flight out yesterday. She said her hotel room smelled more like a campfire, scary! :O Stay safe.

We've a standing get-together now on Friday nights with our travelling friends, dinner and watching "Murder in Paradise", which we all enjoy and none of us had seen the latest series as it's just been released here - we're wending our way through an episode or two at a time, punctuated with lashings of vino :drinks::jester: 

We're all social distancing from the rest of the world, with the exception of required shopping trips etc., so it does provide a little company.

6 first thing and cloudy, may reach the dizzying heights of 15 with some possible rain later.

Here's to the weekend :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

5 hours ago, newbryford said:

..I used to do 3-day trips to paper mills in the USA.

Usually fly out Wednesday, Do the visit Thursday and Friday, flying home overnight Fri-Sat.

I went to Spokane WA (via Portland OR) one Wednesday to return Saturday. Back in the office on Monday and told I'm off to Massachusetts in 2 days.

All trips were either in club or first as I'd just got an AA gold frequent flyer card and got upgraded!

Knackered, but the air miles paid for a holiday to the US a few months later!

Well you got off easy.... :D

Try this for punishing: Sunday Morning: BSL-LHR-SFO. Sunday Evening San Francisco. Monday Morning: Meeting in San Francisco, Monday Evening SFO-LHR-BSL. Tuesday Lunchtime: Back in Office.

Mind you, the powers-that-be were well aware of how punishing this is and, wanting me to be useful  upon arrival, sent me Business Class and to 4 Star Hotels. Having gone from blue card to gold card on BA's frequent flyer programme in 6 months did mean I got upgraded to first on a fairly frequent basis. Mind you, I never managed to match Mrs iD's achievement: upgraded to First (on Swissair) on the way out to SE Asia and on the way back! The best I could manage was getting upgraded to First on the Bangkok - Sydney leg of a trip to Oz....

The three-day and two week trips to the US were the best: the first meant that you didn't have to deal with the time-zone differences, the second meant that you had already dealt witht he time-zone differences early on in the trip, the worst were the 5 day trips; too long to ignore the time-zone differences, too short to adjust to the time zone differences.

Although going east from the US to Europe always had a jet-lag penalty, but - surprisingly - going east from Europe to SE Asia rarely gave me any more than mild jet lag.

Aah! Happy Days.

Edited by iL Dottore
typo
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

21 minutes ago, Ian Abel said:

Moaning all,

BIN day today, everything suitably sorted and BINNED...

Ozexpat, looks bad, we've friends in Medford and they're on the verge of evac orders apparently, also Jemma flew into Portland Wednesday night and overnighted before taking a flight out yesterday. She said her hotel room smelled more like a campfire, scary! :O Stay safe.

We've a standing get-together now on Friday nights with our travelling friends, dinner and watching "Murder in Paradise", which we all enjoy and none of us had seen the latest series as it's just been released here - we're wending our way through an episode or two at a time, punctuated with lashings of vino :drinks::jester: 

We're all social distancing from the rest of the world, with the exception of required shopping trips etc., so it does provide a little company.

6 first thing and cloudy, may reach the dizzying heights of 15 with some possible rain later.

Here's to the weekend :)

I love the scenery on that show especially the sort wearing bikinis

Our second trip to the Dominican republic (got married there first trip) the security operative was model beautiful (no not N gauge) stamping exit visa on passports it was the only time i wanted to have a problem with my passport. She could have slapped the cuffs on anytime

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 9

Greetings all from Sidcup where there is blue sky and a bit of sun.

Best wishes to Ozexpat and others caught up in the fire area. We passed through there last summer and stayed overnight in Medford having come in from the coast (Newport) and gone to Crater Lake, which is up at about 7,500 feet. It had been 102 that day in Medford and getting out of the car was a shock.

Work is hectic - we have several things all of which need to be done by close of play Monday, after which time a new financing arrangement comes into play. We have been pushing them forward as far as possible and now they are in the hands of other people. One i think will happen and one possibly won't - and there will be hell to pay if it doesn't, as it will restrict our funding by about 10%. 

Still,it is nearly the weekend and i have no major plans - we are having our conservatory replaced starting Tuesday next week and so i would have been working from home anyway - but i need to go into the office on Monday, partly because they have finally decided i should have a work laptop...they have finally heard my complaints about the flaky internet connection and antiquated nature of this machine! I guess i might have to put my suit on for the first time in nearly 6 months. Isn't it supposed to be very hot on Monday?!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just zapped a few more weeds this afternoon. Most of them are in what I laughably call a lawn, more weeds and bald patches than grass. The grass hasn't dropped all its seed yet so once it has the remaining grass will get cut and next spring it will get re-seeded.

1 hour ago, 45156 said:

Afternoon All

However, our bank statement today gave us another unexpected bonus in the form of another PPI refund, this time from Barclaycard, and it amounted to a five figure sum, so between the loans from Barclays and this we are quite a few K up - all due to a speculative enquiry.

Back sometime over the weekend.

Regards to All

Stewart

44 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

It just goes to show that it was worth looking into it 

It certainly is, I also received a tidy sum in PPI and I only realised that I was due anything when I found an old statement. Sadly the deadline for claims has past.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

The buttons list certainly  has grown today.

When I saw them this morning I assumed (wrongly apparently) that they must have been around for a while.

Stinky yellow air again today - somewhere in the very unhealthy to hazardous range. (It's curious how much air quality numbers from various online air quality reporting websites vary - so much so that the data are not really trustworthy.) Today the eyeball and nostril test is sufficient to see that it is bad.

The world is changing when the "smoke forecast" becomes a major part of the nightly weather report as it has for several weeks now. Andy in northern Idaho is forecast to see our smoke on Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

... we've friends in Medford and they're on the verge of evac orders apparently

The Medford area (a long way south of me) has been hard hit. Parts of two small towns between Medford and Ashland, (Talent and Phoenix) have been completely destroyed.

Medford and Ashland are only about 20 miles apart and are in Southern Oregon.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The buttons list certainly  has grown today.

I think you may have made a spillong mustook hear! Grown Groan

4 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Can't see that one being of much use on ERs that's for sure. :jester:

Could read 'Thought Provoking' as 'Mind Boggling', perhaps?

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' each,

Didn't get around to oven cleaning today (how sad) as the shopping trip took a bit longer than I expected and by the time we got back I didn't feel like it.  Instead I paid The Shed a visit and had a pleasant few hours playing with little wheeled thingies.  One was playing up a bit and stuttering a lot and it took me a few minutes to realise that the wheels were filthy.  A few minutes work with IPA and it was running as good as new.  I really should get on with platform building and track ballasting instead of getting sidetracked though.

At a loose end tonight as no rugby on the box or even  tomorrow as far as I can see.  At least there's a couple of games on Sunday.

Watched The Repair Shop earlier and Rick may be interested to know that a couple of people from the Penlee Lifeboat Station were on with a rather large cast iron collection box.  He may know the guy as he was the son of one of the crew lost on the Solomon Browne. 

P.S.  Just seen that Debs has visited so now expecting a slap!  

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I remember watching a documentary on the Penlee lifeboat /Union Star disaster very tragic but a very brave set of Men. I was only 4 at the time I do.remember the Falklands conflict a few months later.

Father Brown on at 8 then Hunting Hitler, I can't make up my mind wether I believe that he escaped Berlin or not. 

• Friendly/supportive 11

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The Medford area (a long way south of me) has been hard hit. Parts of two small towns between Medford and Ashland, (Talent and Phoenix) have been completely destroyed.

Medford and Ashland are only about 20 miles apart and are in Southern Oregon.

Wondered where you were, Mike.  Can't afford to lose anyone from the PNW as there are precious few of us around these parts.  It hasn't been as as bad as some places here in GH, except that we get the smoke so this is a stay indoors day and keep the A/C on.  Look forward to an on shore flow off the Pacific to cool things off!

Whatever happened to Covid?  It seems to have dropped of the headlines!

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I remember watching a documentary on the Penlee lifeboat /Union Star disaster very tragic but a very brave set of Men. I was only 4 at the time I do.remember the Falklands conflict a few months later.

Father Brown on at 8 then Hunting Hitler, I can't make up my mind wether I believe that he escaped Berlin or not. 

That episode of Repair Shop was very interesting. One has to admire the bravery of a guy who is on the lifeboats despite having lost his father in the Penlee incident. I think I am right in saying that RNLI have not lost anyone since which is remarkable.

I think that I have mentioned it before but I can not recommend strongly enough the afternoon tour round the RNLI College at Poole. They even have an excellent bar, restaurant and accommodation for those coming from further afield.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4