The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ey up! Freezing here grey skies...

May get to 17C here today and 20C tomorrow.  I am standing on my own tomorrow (major shortages of umpires). May be a lot of hard work.

Fires don't look great over there Ozexpatriot.  Stay safe!

Grab today and get the best from it!

Hope all of the ERs are safe and well.

Mugatea time!

Baz

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

post-2818-0-82905300-1488959739.jpg

Greetings all from the boring borough. TFIF

Another week almost done. But first, a meeting, then a meeting to discuss the upcoming meeting, then that meeting, followed by, you guessed it, a meeting. <sigh> That's 4 of my 7 1/2 hour work day taken up by waste of time meetings. Dilbert was right: 'Avoid meetings with time wasting morons.' 

New washer was delivered yesterday. Good service from Curry's and the delivery guys who man handled it upstairs as well as a rather delicate operation to remove the old one. I'm now in a bit of muscle pain from hooking it up and re-stacking the dryer on top. 

Good to see a couple of our American based ERs back. Oz's pics are similar to the ones by brother who lives about 80 miles south of Portland, posted on Fecesbook. My nephew is part of the group building the new school in Mill Creek. Fortunately no fire damage to the construction site. 

Busy weekend ahead as there is much post-quarantine running about and shopping to accomplish. Planning to meet up with Roundhouse as well tomorrow.

Tonight though is a treat for us. SWMBO managed to snag 2 reservations for the hottest trendy event in town. The One Love pop up. TV presenter Fred Sirieix & Andi Oliver's foodie. Sort of our belated 25th anniversary dinner in a way. 

More coffee needed. Meetings on the horizon. Enjoy the day, enjoy the weekend. 

Edited by AndrewC
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull start here but there is a very slight hint of brightness to the East.  Some sunny spells forecast but then clouding over again later however it should stay dry and warm.

Congratulations Warren, is this your first venture to the "club" or a repeat visit?  If the latter then you won't need me to tell you that you're in for a lot of enjoyment and expense over the next few years.  My 3 grandchildren are now 21,18 and 16 but still give me as much pleasure now as they did when they first arrived although we don't see them quite as much as we used to. 

Oh, by the way, I never "intend" to do myself any injuries, it just seems to happen spontaneously. :banghead:  It hasn't happened for quite a while now, either I'm being more careful or have just got lucky.  Better not take my eye off the ball. (or scalpel, hammer, saw, drill, axe etc)

I've just been asked to ferry The Boss to Sainsbury's this morning.  Apparently she has a dire need of some magazines which are hard to come by on the online delivery.  

I had a parcel delivered yesterday containing oven cleaning gunk so you can guess what I'll be doing later.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Over the last twenty years, since I returned to live in the UK, I have often driven from a Channel port (usually Caen) to the far South of France (about 600 miles) in one day, arriving about 19.00 hrs. With a good standard of road for most of the journey (dual carriageway and motorway), it is not unduly tiring although the last forty minutes, along twisty country roads in the Corbieres, can be a bit demanding.

I did get caught out once, December 2001, when there was a lot of snow and ice. The journey took 15 hours from Cherbourg. I don't think that I could do that now.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Quite a bit chillier for my walk this morning, I had a flees on but felt it on the fingers, must dig out my gloves, haha.

EDIT = Flees should read fleece, thanks Q.:good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is sunny here. If I were to go out I would probably add a thin fleece over my t shirt. I don’t  think I will be allowed out yet. I have just postponed my routine dental appointment for a month. I asked the dentist and they thought that it would be sensible as I don’t currently have any tooth problems. 
Michael’s (Ozex...) photos look grim. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Quite bright this morning if a bit hazy but comfortably warm. Not a lot to do today so no excuse for not getting on with the gardening. The longest journey I have undertaken in one day was from Ostend to Ludwigshaven in Southern Germany, I'm not sure of the distance as back then (1973) they were still in the process of building some of the Autobahns. The route took us via Brussels and Cologne then we followed the Rhine valley down to Mannheim, our destination was on the opposite bank of the Rhine. I was sharing the driving with my dad with a few food and comfort breaks, and a some delays as we had to pass through Brussels as the by-pass ring road (a sort of Belgian M25) had not been built then. The whole journey took about 14 hours and I was absolutely knackered. Though the driving was shared it was the first time either of us had experienced driving on the continent and on the 'wrong' side of the road.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Once did Trier in Germany to home in one hit (plus ferry) on a motorbike - some 650 miles or so.

Went to Kirkcaldy for work to commission a new machine, found that a part was missing, had to return back to work for it and then back to Kirkcaldy - 700 miles or so.

My longest ever work driving week was back in the mid 80s Monday London and return, Wednesday Glasgow and return, Friday Oxford and return.

Wouldn't be able to do that with today's traffic levels and driving standards.

I used to do 3-day trips to paper mills in the USA.

Usually fly out Wednesday, Do the visit Thursday and Friday, flying home overnight Fri-Sat.

I went to Spokane WA (via Portland OR) one Wednesday to return Saturday. Back in the office on Monday and told I'm off to Massachusetts in 2 days.

All trips were either in club or first as I'd just got an AA gold frequent flyer card and got upgraded!

Knackered, but the air miles paid for a holiday to the US a few months later!

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Quite a bit chillier for my walk this morning, I had a flees on but felt it on the fingers, must dig out my gloves, haha.

Was it biting? cold

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Coincidentally the amorous pigeons seem to have emerged in our neck of the woods as well.  there were two out on the front fence this morning with a big one forever trying to jump on the back of the smaller one until she got thoroughly hacked off and flew away to the top of a nearby telegraph pole.  Whereupon another fatty chap jumped on her back.  Must be something due to the weather warming up a bit as I saw a butterfly in the garden yesterday.

The wildfire situation. in the USA does not look good and is obviously not being helped on some places by the extreme weather they are suffering but stay as far clear as possible if you can Ozex.  I also note The Q's concern and don't blame him because crop field fires can get very nasty very quickly and spread easily to other standing grain crops, or buildings, in dry weather if there's a bit if wind about.  My dad was a retained Fireman for over 30 years - having first joined the AFS during the war - and he fought most sorts of fires you can think of from the blitz in various English cities through to industrial sites and hotel fires.   He'd fought fires where there were likely to be unexploded bombs around plus buildings collapsing or gas bottles exploding  but the ones he really hated were heath and crop fires which he reckoned were the worst job of the lot because of the way they quickly could turn on you and the impossibility of seeing, and difficulty breathing, when the very acrid smoke came your way.   

A foraging party has again despatched itself to Tesco - hopefully to commence laying in supplies for their absence at the sea estuaryside next week when the lad and I will be left to fend for ourselves.  As I don't like can't eat his signature dish of Thai prawn curry I suspect that there might be some visits to various takeaway style establishments in order to augment our more basic fare.

The hedge might get trimmed and fortunately our neighbour who is constructing an arch over his gateway for the happy couple on Saturday has expressed a wish for some ivy - I have offered him unfettered access to our extremely large stock of the stuff.

Enjoy the rest of your day one and all and stay safe (although apparently quite a lot of politicos and one 'expert' don't seem to think that we should - weird world).

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

With the new 70 registrations coming in the DLVA have issued a list of banned numbers.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/hundreds-number-plates-just-been-22665769#source=push

Spoilsports - I've always considered 'memorable' car numbers an excellent idea although presumably the availability of ANPR to the rozzers has done away with that need?

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Ladies and gentleman, we have,

a Groan Button!

Cue the peasantry celebrations 

drat just missed it..

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

2 hours ago, BokStein said:

Good morning (just!)

Bit chillier in this neck of the woods.

In the absence of a suitable button (although a petition has been launched!)  GROAN!

(Quoted comment now suitably adorned!) (Thanks AY Mod!)

Which neck of the woods would that be then? Up Norf, or Down Souf? 

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Spoilsports - I've always considered 'memorable' car numbers an excellent idea although presumably the availability of ANPR to the rozzers has done away with that need?

Some of those banned plateswould raise a fortune. Some are hilarious to me anyway. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 5