The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good evening all,

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Evening all,

No major news about anything apart from the GD and herself carrying out a raid on Tesco this morning duly securing - among other things - my prescription which opens an interesting and explains how the NHS wastes money.  I  Take two tegretol every day and have been doing so for over 20 years with an annual review by the GP who just asks if they are still doing what they are supposed to do (they are, hence I'm allowed to drive a car). My last lot of pills were supplied on 19 June but today I received only enough to last one month, I used to get them every 3 months.  Irrespective of the quantity each lot I get equals one prescription charge to the NHS so once every 3 months equals 4 prescription charges a year but supply on a monthly basis equals 12 prescription charges per annum.

My Practice rang me to tell me that they would only be giving me one month's supply instead of the usual 2 months as "drugs were in reduced supply due to Covid"!

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Net result is that it costs the NHS three times as much to provide this particular medication for me, i wonder which over-promoted (beyond toilet attendant) idiot thought up that bit of cleverness? 

Does it? I guess the answer to that is by how much the Practices are contributing towards the real cost of the drugs. I suspect this is likely to be higher than the associated admin costs incurred through generating more repeat scripts.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

And another thing.  We received our first steam-hauled charter since lockdown with something big, green and called "Braunton" putting up a magnificent display on its way to somewhere else.  We were due to have had a charter a couple of weeks ago but that was cancelled probably due to low post-lockdown bookings.  

I went to my nearby footbridge north of Redhill to photograph it. Good job that I didnt intend ot video it as there were two rather noisy sheep dogs giving their handler a hard time. Two Eastern European women with a chair were,  also there along with two other chaps, so it was busy but all socially distanced. Braunton was on its way to Hastings.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

Swmbo went into town earlier i needed a.bike puncture repair kit to fix an airbed she went into Wilko can't get a picture repair kit but I  could have had a selection box though as a consolation prize of i wasn't diabetic.

Not long after calming down after a rant over its not even mid September and Xmas stuff 

A delivery arrived for the Mrs it was some artificial fox tail grass i ordered her off Ebay. Damn it looks nothing like the picture of was only 2 quid from China 

Luckily she saw the funny side i did think I would be having a trip to A&E to have them surgically.removed

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Evening, not a bad day at all, after the MOT on the car we went over the hills to Aboyne, as there was no one in the Whisky shop I ventured in and bought a bottle, first time I've been in a shop since the beginning of March, unless I run out of whisky, I may not bother again until next March lol. The ice cream shop was shut in Stonehaven, so we didn't linger, massive crowds from a few weeks back have vanished too. On the subject of prescription meds, I get a thing called "CMS", no need for repeat scripts, I just turn up once a month at the chemist and there they are, no bothering Docs or the dragon on the desk, no signatures, not even mine, been on it for a couple of years, works for me.

G'night all

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well I didn’t get much done on the platform I intended to build, the only thing I managed was to alter the kits handrails, which was left taped to a wooden block so it sets square. In the meantime, I made a new insulated sprung plunger. The kit was originally designed to collect power via 2 sprung plungers running on a 2 part split slip ring. I’ve altered the slip ring making it now a continuous one piece slip ring, which feeds one rail, the second rail now gets its power feed from the central axle. With only the one plunger is required, the spring, which pushes up against the underside of the rail as it is supposed to, but this made the bridge lean slightly to one side, so needed sorting out. So I designed and made an insulated plunger, this acts on the slip ring the same way as the other, pushing against the underside of the other rail, but isn’t electrically connected to the slip ring, resulting in the bridge no longer leaning.

Here’s a photo of the plunger and connecting lead, the black line close to where the lead is connected is a 1mm plastic washer, which ‘electrically’ separates the two ends. The thinner pip runs on the slip ring, the wider part with the lead soldered on to it connects (via the original bronze spring) to the underside of the bridge rail. 

5B544673-E31F-4C97-B9D2-7D23332EF2C4.jpeg.afa72a1894aebb315c3a3a8720eab37a.jpeg

Goodnight all. 

Brian. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I once rode a motorcycle from Tyneside to Plymouth with the potential Mrs NHN on the back, 1982 or 3.

in 1954 my Uncle had a 125cc BSA Bantam. He and a mate travelled from Birmingham to Gorran Haven, about ten miles south of St Austell, to join us on a family holiday. We had travelled on the Friday night train and had our breakfast in St Austell at 7am on Saturday morning. They took over 24 hours to get there including a sleep and it was almost dark when they arrived. Unfortunately they arrived at high tide, a very high one, and didn't realise that at such a time the water came up past the top of the beach and up the road. They managed not to drop the bike in the sea but got their boots full of water in the process.

• Like 14
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

1954 my Uncle had a 125cc BSA Bantam. He and a mate travelled from Birmingham to Gorran Haven, about ten miles south of St Austell

Not quite as far but my grandfather and my Dad once had an interesting trip to Somerset from Birmingham on a Lambretta. 

I was three and my parents were planning to move to Clevedon in Somerset. Dad had to go down for some reason so he and Granddad set off after work. I can remember my mother being really anxious as they didn’t get back until early the next day. I can still remember my father's complaint that his father refused to accept he had taken a wrong turn. It was only when they got to Bridgwater that he accepted he was wrong. Strange how Bridgwater stuck in my memory. 

Tony

• Like 12
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, brianusa said:

Don't remind me!  I had one once and got stuck in the tramlines in Plymouth long after the trams had gone!:rolleyes:

My only bike and after that incident, it was cars.  Much safer!;)

Brian.

According to family legend my Grandad got a trailer wheel stuck in the Leeds tramlines he had to drive to the depot to get the trailer jacked up as there were iron castings in it making it too heavy to lift out.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Then I wondered how to tell the difference between a girl pigeon and a boy one.

Even more so, how do pigeons tell the difference?! 

The turtle lives twixt plated decks

Which totally conceal its sex.

I think it clever of the turtle

In such a fix to be so fertile.

Edited by BR60103
remembered poem
  • Like 10
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

We once came back to Toronto from Florida in 2 days. That looks like 1370 miles total. There were two of us driving but we never tried that again.

One year we were coming back (this time in the motorhome) and started in southern Kentucky. Instead of stopping at Detroit, swmbo kept going due to snowy weather -- she didn't want to get off the motorway -- and she drove from there home. That day was 637 miles.

I'm lucky in that there are always 2 of us on any major trip. The only times there weren't were the first years of our marriage, when I didn't know how.

• Like 16

Greetings one and all and welcome back to Ozexpatriate

Once in a while Radio 4 gets it absolutely spot on.  Yesterday morning listeners heard Sean Cooney of the Young’uns describe the process by which he comes to write songs about real people and real issues.  “Be The Man” is one of his and has had a profound effect on many people, me included.  Thanks to BBC Sounds I shall be listening to the programme again.  It is called “Art of Now: A Life in Song”.  It reminded me of one of the things I used to do for a living, which was to draft replies to letters from MPs to Ministers.  Although I say so myself, I got pretty good at seeing the issue through the eyes of whoever was to reply to the original letter.  I am just thankful that MPs did not raise issues like terrorist incidents on trains and religious homophobia in their letters to the Minister.  Those are just two of the topics tackled by Sean Cooney in his songs, with outstanding success.

Already I am nostalgic about my recent uninterrupted night’s sleep.  I am sure I will get used again to being wide awake at 3 am, as is so often the case.  There are still plenty of books full of trolleybus pictures to help send me to sleep with a smile on my face.  At least I did not drift off into a dream about the ironing that needs doing today.  That is truly a topic for the cold light of day.

Best wishes to all

Chris

Edited by chrisf
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner temple Hare, 814/509

3 hours solid sleep, 3 hours interrupted sleep , an hours semi dozing..

Very cool Clears skies for Ben the happy Collies patrol. Nothing to chase but he found a scent to follow.. I suspect the deer that crossed my path soon after I left the driveway this morning..

Cockwomble..1 

Driving round the NDR at the limit.. 70mph, I pull out to over take the lorry in front of me.. the car catching up from behind accelerates heavily, undertakes and squeezes across in front of me..

Cockwomble 2, on the Industrial estate High speed white van man (probably from UPS) pulls out to pass a parked lorry causing me coming the other way  to brake to avoid him..

Although We don't have as big fires as the USA, I'm always slightly worried when we have a corn crop around out garden just nearing harvest.. I've seen many cornfield fires over the years else where.. The muddling shed and Mobile home wouldn't stand a chance..

Mid 1970's while I was attending the Civil Aviation Authority College in Bletchley Park, there was a guy there who would go home to, I think it was Grimsby way on a 50CC moped every weekend.... 150 miles at 30mph.. and he'd be back for class on the Monday morning...!!!

Time I went and saw the results of the next cross check..

• Like 16