The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well that’s the bathroom finished, but it took a longer to remove the old bath sealant than I expected, it took me until just before dinner to get the last few stubborn bits off. But it did mean that the sides of the bath had a good 45 minutes to dry off before I started with the masking tape. Once that was on it took me just 30 minutes to add the sealant and then remove the tape, a few brownie points have now been earned.

I found out earlier this evening that the Manchester Christmas Model Railway show has been cancelled, not unexpected but disappointing non the less. 

Goodnight all. 

Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Being pedantic (who, me?), although the times are the same they are different in definition because GMT is a Time Zone and UTC is a time standard. Both names are in use for their own purposes.

Or known to those of us ex military as Zulu time.. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

5 hours plus some indeterminate dozing  not enough sleep..

The Schools are back... Going home yesterday  afternoon ...Very busy road going past 2 industrial estates and several other businesses, long line of traffic coming towards me, in the front... 4 cycling school boys in uniform from the Hellesdon High School  ( current home of the Norwich MRC show) line abreast one cycling on  his back wheel only....

Later on, an Escaped Effin Clown... about a 50 yards into Wroxham a transit coming the other way and what appears from behind ?... an Effin clown who has launched her self across the road immediately behind the transit, causing me to have to swerve and brake heavily. She got a blast of the horn but didn't seem to notice.. all this less than 50ft from a traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing...

It was noticeable the Big Tes and Coes was very much quieter on the way home, which is good for me.. I also noticed they are putting in 2 free electric car charging points..

One of the things I wanted from the big orange shed was blue glass mosaic tiles.. which they've run out of.. the website helpfully tells me they have 46 in Braintree... 62 miles away...no chance...

When I left yesterday I had one system running on it's cross check, one awaiting the cross check instrument, one awaiting another bit of test equipment which I am promised this morning and the 4th in  the hands of someone else doing some post cal checks.

Time to check the company spam before heading see what I'm working one today..

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning. No earthquakes  here but we had one about 18 months ago, fortunately  small with no damage.  

Chris, I'm glad that your trip went well.

I got the ironing done. The board managed to stay upright but was then condemned so I set off to purchase a new one. I also got Beth's birthday card and a small present for her. The date is in a few days time. I also had a pleasant hour sitting on the station and saw a couple of freights.

Today I'm heading out to watch Le Tour which is passing about 45 miles away. I've picked a spot where a sharp bend takes the road across the railway. Quell suprise as they would say. Sun screen and plenty of water will be taken.  This evening  we're going out with some friends for a meal. They go back to the UK on Monday.

Stay safe.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Obviously the company paid to provide accurate weather forecasts for the BBC are rubbish. According to them its cloudy with patches of sun currently. Really? So what is the rain falling from the sky???

We are having some furniture delivered today. This means areas are to be hoovered up, walls to be washed, clothes to ge moved from one draw to a new one etc. This in turn means ..no muddling.

Hope all our missing ERs are safe and well. Positive thoughts to all ERs.

Have as good a day as you can everyone!

Baz

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

There is a glimpse of sunshine appearing through the clouds but a mainly cloudy day is forecast with the chance of a little rain later.

Yesterday's walk was cancelled in favour of some gardening so naturally my back aches a bit at the moment.

Last few of the carrots picked and eaten last night along with a couple of nice pork chops.  Still got lots of tomatoes.

Rugby watched and  Saints were massacred by Bristol.

Domestic tasks and financials this morning and this afternoon I may watch some of Le Tour on TV.  A few crashes yesterday, a couple were quite nasty, not surprising really given how tightly packed they were on some narrow roads.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is bright and breezy here. Not raining either. Aditi has gone out to do some pruning and we will then have breakfast. She is hoping to add the pruning to the garden waste bin before it is emptied. All the other bins and bags have been collected. I was asleep and missed the excitement. 

Tony

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Obviously the company paid to provide accurate weather forecasts for the BBC are rubbish. According to them its cloudy with patches of sun currently. Really? So what is the rain falling from the sky???

Have you tried the Met Office on Facebook, or the Met Office forecasting service. Haven't done a comparison so would be interested in any results.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Due to the prolonged eyelid inspection yesterday afternoon I didn't get to bed until gone one this morning. I went out like a light so Arthur Itis didn't bother me at all. The sun is shining so I'm thinking about the G word, whether that will turn into any action is debatable. Like ChrisF I find driving long distances tiring, an inevitable consequence of growing older. Way back, 1976 if I remember correctly I drove from Romford to Knutsford and back in a day spending several hours there. I certainly wouldn't have the stamina to make the journey even one way today.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

Morning, bright and breezy here, no idea what the day will hold, though some outdoor activity would be nice, maybe a bike ride later.

A few years back I drove from Perth(Scotland) to Weymouth for our nieces wedding, a 12 hour drive, stayed overnight then drove back the next day to be at work the following day, that would probably take nearly a week now with an overnight stop in each direction.

Enjoy the day and take care

Edited by tigerburnie
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

There’s a strange yellow light in the sky this morning, not sure if it’s a UFO!

There’s a small job to do in the bathroom this morning, the cabinet doors are sticking a wee bit, so I’ll take them off and sand down the side where the hinges are fitted and then repaint that area and hope that it cures the problem. Apart from that I plan to spend the rest of the day (and week) in the workshop. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

In 84 I think it was, I drove after, a 6 hour ferry journey, from Oban to Letchworth to Norwich no problem.. These days I stop for a eyelid inspection after a couple of hundred miles..

That's the problem with the Big shows, the Warley show is about 175 miles from home,.. so I'm tired when I get there even before the show.. then say 6 hours there and drive back.. no chance..

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

18 minutes ago, TheQ said:

In 84 I think it was, I drove after, a 6 hour ferry journey, from Oban to Letchworth to Norwich no problem.. These days I stop for a eyelid inspection after a couple of hundred miles..

That's the problem with the Big shows, the Warley show is about 175 miles from home,.. so I'm tired when I get there even before the show.. then say 6 hours there and drive back.. no chance..

When I was younger I could easily drive 1300km in a day with only a couple of short breaks for food and comfort. Driving in the UK and I'm knackered after 3 hours at the wheel. 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

Have you tried the Met Office on Facebook, or the Met Office forecasting service. Haven't done a comparison so would be interested in any results.

Just a ‘finger in the wind’ feeling but I generally find the met office forecast correct on more occasions than the BBC forecast.   In addition the met office have a live rainfall radar page which gives you a much more localised picture for the next few hours.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Driving in the UK and I'm knackered after 3 hours at the wheel. 

Only the lovely seats in my car make journeys over an hour tolerable. It is nice having a car that you have less backache at the end of a three hour journey than at the start. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 4

6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Only the lovely seats in my car make journeys over an hour tolerable. It is nice having a car that you have less backache at the end of a three hour journey than at the start. 

Same here. Probably the same seats. I just find the roads themselves tiring. The constant lane changing, unnecessary curves, traffic, idiots, etc. I find even at stupid o clock on a weekend morning, trying to average more than 110km/h on the motorway for any sort of distance is next to impossible. It is far easier and less tiring on a straight road with fewer distractions. We used to drive to Seattle for a long weekend. That was just under 1300km. I'd set the cruise control to 120km/h and not have to touch it for 3 or 4 hours. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Same here. Probably the same seats. I just find the roads themselves tiring. The constant lane changing, unnecessary curves, traffic, idiots, etc. I find even at stupid o clock on a weekend morning, trying to average more than 110km/h on the motorway for any sort of distance is next to impossible. It is far easier and less tiring on a straight road with fewer distractions. We used to drive to Seattle for a long weekend. That was just under 1300km. I'd set the cruise control to 120km/h and not have to touch it for 3 or 4 hours. 

I have driven reasonable distances in North America or to Austria (lots of different routes) and haven’t been as worn out at the end as for instance driving to the Lake District from Essex on a summer Friday. Our last Lake District trip in December wasn’t bad  at all but we went up the east side of the country avoiding the M6. There was even snow on the A66.

Tony

• Like 15
  • Agree 1