The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Brilliant guitarist stewart

Truckstops i can recommend include

Lincoln farm at Solihull which is handy for the Nec 

The Stockyard at Hellaby Rotherhsm

And Shepshed they do monster breakfasts

Colsterworth 

Penrith

These have all been recommended to me in the past by drivers and i have used all myself at some point . Some of them may not open at the weekend though.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl, 

Tiles tiled,  except for those needing cutting,  that's for another day, 

Wood work painted blue,  which called barleywood blue , but looks remarkably like Scottish region wood work blue. 

That lot took 6.5 hours... 

Left to do,  made to measure tiles,  the infill cupboard,  a wooden surface then tiled infill between two of the aluminum shelves.  Slab the floor. 

I've been in hospital 4 times each about a week,  I presume the first time mum fed me...

As for the others all 1981 to 86 I can't remember the meals, which means they were neither remarkably good nor remarkably bad.. 

Time for an eyelid inspection.. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morn...oh.

Dragged out first thing to undertake some womanly support as 'we had things to do', sounds a bit GDB-ish!  A rather cool and breezy day, 13c 'feels like...... nowt' the air must be damp as it really feels quite cold in the wind.

Several hospital visits over the last 7 years have had varying grub scores, Wrightington (centre of excellence for hip surgery) scored well, (despite that discharge disaster I mentioned the other day) Noble's here was OK ish the first time, and rather poor the second, a year later when taking the Meccano out of my foot.

Mrs NHN now washing the cars, so perhaps it would be better for my health if I go and help!

F1 qualy later, like Any I like to avoid the news etc and enjoy the build up and patter, Mrs NHN hates the patter, and wants to get to the action of Q3 immediately.  Other than looking out for George Russell, who appears to be a 'person of interest'. Ahem.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Tony, I should have wished you well in my first message, sorry.  I'm glad you're home and OK and are getting more comfortable.  The Hb all over the place must have been disturbing but perhaps not unexpected as you must be on anti-clotting medications.

Just had to dash out to the Pharmacy, as for the second time they had mis-dispensed a drug.....official complaint going in this time.  I should have checked the box yesterday but.....#sigh#  Not going there again.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Good to hear that tony has been released and will no doubt now be receiving excellent area nd attention at home.

No G word today as it has turned a bit cold and herself had a good go at various stuff put there this morning.  So let off until tomorrow.  We have been t'mill - Dunelm Mill to be precise But I stayed in the car park and ended up comparing the sight of some of the shoppers with the sort of thing you might see in Walmart,  maybe one or two of them had ambitions?   Then up to Tilehurst Village for some cheap diesel and home via brief Tesco visit.   Fish & chips (from the fridges) for dinner tonight and it was too late for mushroom cooking so i had a slice of cold quiche and had a Tesco doughnut (correction, two Tesco doughnuts)  for lunch.

As to hosp[ital food I have to say that on my most recent incarceration - 20 years ago in the RBH at Reading the food was very good although limited in quantity (no that it was a bad idea to do that and I also managed to scrounge an ice cream tub in the middle of one night when the ward was in pandemonium (all patient related) because a nurse was happy to give me one from their secret stash in the ward fridge.  So top marks for food,.  high/top marks for the nursing staff on the wards, middling marks for the penny pinching pharmacist I threatened to report to my MP when she wanted to put me on a drip for heperin instead of my twice daily injections (giving her the phone number for 10 Downing St quickly changed her mind so she then back-tracked saying that I ought really to be on injected heperin anyway in my condition - a PE).  Fairly low marks for cleaning and and a minus 10 for infection control which seemed to be more a matter of PC behaviour than putting proper controls on such as the junkie with hepaptitis sharing all the ward's washing and toilet facilities with other ambulant patients and dripping blood here, there, and everywhere. 

I have no memory - beyond a scar and the receipted hospital bill - of my first hospital stay in mid 1948 but apparently I returned home demanding to be fed 'peachers'.  They turned out to translate as peaches but I seemingly threw back the tinned variety in disgust.  Interesting to know in retrospect that in the days when you paid to go to hospital the diet for very young children included fresh peaches if they were in season.

Enjoy the rest of your day folks and stay safe. Someone said on an 'Any Answers' today that perhaps we should have enough information to write our own risk assessments in respect of Covid.  Easy peasy there is, and I can, albeit not set down in writing.  However the problem is that loads of other people haven't so they ignore the very simple rules which in turn makes it very difficult to then produce a quantitative RA.  So no option but to do a qualitative RA which is inevitably more self restrictive.

• Like 18
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, Swiss model shops. 

When on holiday there for my 50th, I was determined to get something as an aide-memoir of the (rail borne) holiday.  I saw a model shop in, I think, Thun, so determined to get a 'red electric' of some kind, HO or HOe.  I got as far as the window, and Mrs NHN had to support me through the faint after seeing the prices!  Hells bells.... so I bought a second hand LGB Ge4/4II when I got home for less!  It had a run out last week, now radio control battery powered, so it can run on the garden railway.  I also got 2 LGB RhB coaches to go with it, all for less than the stuff I saw in that shop.  

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Is that the one between Pendeen and Morvah?

[EDIT] Or the new builds in Pendeen?

[ANOTHER EDIT] Which are in close proximity to the North Inn and the Radjel.

Just the St. Ives side of Portheras Cross as you drop down the hill.  And within a few minutes' walk of our friend Ann's farm though her husband Bill has been gone for a couple of years now.  He was a true local and never lived anywhere else; he was also something of an expert on the local mining industry and its people though never wrote anything down that we know of.  

We are not looking at new-builds nor the recent-builds such as the estate at Trewellard; they are nothing but trouble not being built for Pendeen weather.  

If we moved down there the nearest pub would be The Radjel though I prefer the ales in The Star at St. Just.  They don't serve solids there so an evening out has usually been next door in the Wellington though the food quality there has varied a lot over the years through successive landlords / ladies.  The quantity, however, has always been generous.  

13 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

At least when you move to Cornwall you will be able to drink some proper Cornish beer.

Draught Doom Bar served in Cornwall is still brewed at Rock.  It's all the rest which comes from Burton-on-Trent.  As a session beer it's still hard to beat in that area though for one or two I'll usually for for a St. Austell product; Hicks when I can get it (not everywhere sells it) or Tribute. 

Things Cornish reminds me.  Today saw Gorsedh Kernow taking place in very different circumstances to normal.  We have never been though we could be invited as we know several Bards; it is their gift to invite a select few visitors is they wish.  Instead we watched a very curious socially-distanced event streamed online and with few of the bards present, those who were being spaced safely and mostly sporting face-coverings.  The Grand Bard, who has a lot of speaking to do, was not so attired.  Most of the ceremony is only in Cornish though the welcome and explanation is in both Cornish and English.  Some of the ceremony could not be heard because not all participants were within "earshot" of the microphones.  We watched enough to hear our late friend, the recently-departed Craig Weatherhill, included in the list of those bards who have passed away since the last Gorsedh.   And to hear "Hail to the Homeland" sung in Cornish which was new to me.  I know it in English though it is a Cornish song.  Here the first verse is sung in Cornish then repeated in what we call "Sawsenek".  Saxonage, literally, but Cornish for English.  

• Like 19

26 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

And extremely knowledgeable about many things Cornish.  A great loss indeed.  

Just checked his bibliography - we have most of them, I've been using Belerion and Cornoivia for years. 

And then thought - he was my age

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

And then thought - he was my age

I was scanning old slides recently and came across some of my 21st birthday party. Besides all but two of the older generation having gone there were two cousins and at least two of my schooldays friends no longer with us. Then I realised that the youngest person on there was 53 last month.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

Afternoon awl, 

Tiles tiled,  except for those needing cutting,  that's for another day, 

Wood work painted blue,  which called barleywood blue , but looks remarkably like Scottish region wood work blue. 

That lot took 6.5 hours... 

Left to do,  made to measure tiles,  the infill cupboard,  a wooden surface then tiled infill between two of the aluminum shelves.  Slab the floor. 

I've been in hospital 4 times each about a week,  I presume the first time mum fed me...

As for the others all 1981 to 86 I can't remember the meals, which means they were neither remarkably good nor remarkably bad.. 

Time for an eyelid inspection.. 

My youngests playhouses is painted that same colour,it has lasted well,it was a cuprinol colour iirc

Edited by simontaylor484
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The other group I occasionally lunch with are far more diverse but I knew quite a number of them back in the early 1970s - which is also now getting frighteningly close to 50 years ago, seems like only last week sometimes.

I still regularly have online updates from two people who were in my primary school class in 1955.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

Evening all, super day with the family, first time we have been inside the house since March, usually sat in the garden, we had a curry delivered and ate in the kitchen, almost normal, which was nice. My daughter only told me off a couple of times for leading the grandkids astray.............................:dancer:

Hospital grub has been ok in my experiences, for most of my life I avoided the places, but had Meningitis, then Kidney Stones twice and finally Gall Stones, all involved a few nights stay, half were in private hospitals and half in NHS, I found them all much the same, last time in Ninewells in Dundee was acceptable and I echo the comment about the staff having enough to deal with, the pond life they have to suffer.

G'night all

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1