The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

23 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Maybe the timetable should have said 'Buses running in this route will display the route number in Romano-Arabic form' ?

21 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

So good, you posted it twice, haha.:good:

Aghh, Now you've removed one, haha.:unsure:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Funny 9

Some great (and accurate) replies to the motorcycle question. But the answer I was looking for was Harley Davidson is the odd one out as it is (originally) an American motorcycle, the rest are (originally) European - British and Italian actually - as you know (I couldn't think of a French motorcycle and I forgot about BMW and Zundapp)

iD

• Like 10

Interesting thoughts!

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Ian fleming usd to go on the marsh to think up the stories

He may have done; he had friends in the area but not what I have in mind!

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I knew there was a Romney Marsh connection and at first wondered it was to do with ornithologist James Bond but having quickly Googled it and even 007 was a bus route to the area!

If there was, it is not what I have in mind.

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Was not Ian Fleming involved with the 1930's sound detection system that preceded radar?

Correct, as worn by the witch Nannie (with nothing else) as she pursued Tam O'shanter across the Bridge of Doon. From the Robert Burns poem Tam O'shanter. Nannie is represented by the figurehead of the Cutty Sark.

He may have been! Again, no.

My link is ferrovially-based and may involve a bit of smuggling!

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Some great (and accurate) replies to the motorcycle question. But the answer I was looking for was Harley Davidson is the odd one out as it is (originally) an American motorcycle, the rest are (originally) European - British and Italian actually - as you know (I couldn't think of a French motorcycle and I forgot about BMW and Zundapp)

iD

So I got the answer right, but for the wrong reason then.

I will AWAIT my prize.:D

• Like 3
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

iD

Peugeot... https://peugeot-motocycles.com/en/success-story/

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Had a busy day.. including a genteel discussion with an ex BAE "Consultant" who was never involved in the design of Challenger 2 but reckons some of us who were have no idea of how to design a Main Battle Tank.. what a grade a t0sser! He couldn't design a paper bag.. with or without grown up engineering assistance..

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

iD

44 minutes ago, TheQ said:

You beat me to it, they made (still do?) push bikes as well. Then there's also the Belgian FN.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

9 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

Bimota, Laverda, MV Agusta and Moto Guzzi from Italy, Mz from Germany, CZ from Czech Republic were some I remember from UK roads.

I had a CZ Moto Cross bike in the 70's, (1970's NOT 1870's).

882751678_ExWorks250CZatHome001.jpg.38e1079a5ae3b414201dddfab427a950.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

as you know (I couldn't think of a French motorcycle and I forgot about BMW and Zundapp)

iD

Velosolex - 49cc, front wheel drive, centrifugal clutch, no gears, friction drive via an abrasive wheel mounted on the crankshaft which rubs against the top of the tyre.  No speed records, but 200+ to the gallon.

A certain Bear had one many moons ago (and wish he still had, as prices are going up....)

The French tune the hell out of them and race them like crazy.

27 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Had a busy day.. including a genteel discussion with an ex BAE "Consultant" who was never involved in the design of Challenger 2 but reckons some of us who were have no idea of how to design a Main Battle Tank.. what a grade a t0sser! He couldn't design a paper bag.. with or without grown up engineering assistance..

Baz

A certain product I worked on for 35 years was stored and moved in a Trolley that had two wheels.  Works a treat, and continues to do so for nigh on forty years.  The latest superstars* are designing the replacement system; the new Trolley has - wait for it - TEN wheels :o  And is it any good?  :laugh:

*Did the latest superstars approach those of us who'd been involved with the current product to ask what is right/wrong/good/bad etc etc.?  Dream on.  Well, not until the new design was so far down the line that it was too late to do anything about it......

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

So all this talk of motorcycles makes me wonder where the man with the red flag sat.

I presume in the same position as those who had to walk in front of 3 and 4 wheeled motor vehicles. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Er, didn't I say that about the bikes up thread somewhere?  Or did I think it but not post? It's my age.....

I should have thought about the TT link too - oops.  

As for Lamborghinis, I heard similar to Mike, in that Sr Lambo complained to Enzo that his cars were unreliable, but the great mad told him to f-off and make his own if he thought he could do better.  My pal Colin has a Lambo, it isn't a tractor but a combine harvester!  He also has an identical one badges as a FIAT, presumable they owned Lambo at that time (they're both quite aged machines).  

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning.

Struggling with the bike question since pH mentioned the shaft drive already, maybe only Harleys aren't European? I was going to make a joke about reliability (lack of) but modern Triumphs are fine.  Even Harleys are a lot better now!

Snip.

Dear iD, I claim my prize from earlier.... :(

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BokStein said:

Interesting thoughts!

He may have done; he had friends in the area but not what I have in mind!

If there was, it is not what I have in mind.

He may have been! Again, no.

My link is ferrovially-based and may involve a bit of smuggling!

Did Fleming have a villain called Dr Syn as the Romney has a loco named after the smuggler.

Jamie

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

Life in GH quietly goes on, nothing as exciting as medical woes, Italian food or motor bikes.  Nothing but great late summer weather in the American 80Fs which is forecast for into next week, so self isolating in the garden under the trees.  Lunch on a tray, a cold beer or two in the afternoon and Pork Tenderloin for dinner, what a way to go - doesn't make isolation seem so bad!:)

Brian.

• Like 17
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Which country has the greatest mileage of motorways?

Depends how you describe a  'motorway'?  Autobahn, Freeway, Turnpike?  The US has had them long enough to qualify!:unsure:

Brian.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, brianusa said:

Depends how you describe a  'motorway'?  Autobahn, Freeway, Turnpike?  The US has had them long enough to qualify!:unsure:

Brian.

All are included except turnpike, and its not the USA.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

And the term I know from Australia (possibly used elsewhere) which is "Feeway".  Like a freeway only you pay to use it.  

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5