The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Which is the odd one out: Prosciutto di Parma, pizza, tagliatelle al ragù, mortadella, rosette, coppa?

And for this one, I think the odd one out is pizza.  
I have been to towns in North Italy where the restaurants have signs in German and English stating that they do not serve pizza. It is from Catania.

I know the quiz is really iD’s, the quote was taken from Phil’s  post

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

So having finished the gardening and the bag of chicken flavoured ridged crisps I'm looking for something else to eat. Hmm last night's leftovers from the sweet and sour is a possibility. Some thought is required.  As I know nothing about motorcycles, having been denied that ' pleasure' when young I'm unable to contribute to that question. Whilst the only one I did know, Lamborghini tractors as I had the luck to drive one when I was wet behind the ears, has already been answered. Good calls. I may be some time.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

A cutty sark is a short shirt.  "Cutty" is an old word for small/short as in "The Cutty Wren" and a cutty pipe (a short clay pipe used because it doesn't get in the way like a full length clay).

Diabetic review went well apart from slight concerns about weight. Blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol are good and if improved after 6 months I can come off the Metformin.  More self-discipline required! 

Time for lunch (salad, no carbs!).

Have a good day.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Correct, they are combinations of different types of chemotherapy in one regimen (e.g. CHOP Cyclophosphamide, Hydroxydaunorubicin [doxorubicin], Oncovin, Prednisone for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.

35 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

See above (red)

Cheers

iD

OK so no red, but the link to the original post remains!

Silly question, but how does Prednisone differ from PrednisoLOne?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

1) I think it's some kind of Scottish shirt.

2) Vague memories from school, i think it's Aluminium.

Jamie

1, is a short ladies underskirt..

though Shirt and Skirt are from the same original source word..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

26 minutes ago, BokStein said:

Correct, they are combinations of different types of chemotherapy in one regimen (e.g. CHOP Cyclophosphamide, Hydroxydaunorubicin [doxorubicin], Oncovin, Prednisone for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.

OK so no red, but the link to the original post remains!

Silly question, but how does Prednisone differ from PrednisoLOne?

Not a silly question at all. They're the same thing. A bit like aluminium vs aluminum

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Not a silly question at all. They're the same thing. A bit like aluminium vs aluminum

Prednisone is converted in the liver to prednisolone. So prescribing prednisolone is less taxing on the liver. Prednisolone kept my body under control for quite a few years until steroid replacements came along. 

• Informative/Useful 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Ian fleming usd to go on the marsh to think up the stories

I knew there was a Romney Marsh connection and at first wondered it was to do with ornithologist James Bond but having quickly Googled it and even 007 was a bus route to the area!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

And for this one, I think the odd one out is pizza.  
I have been to towns in North Italy where the restaurants have signs in German and English stating that they do not serve pizza. It is from Catania.

I know the quiz is really iD’s, the quote was taken from Phil’s  post

That's correct (and the answer I was looking for). Pizza is a southern Italian specialty (Neapolitans say they invented it.....) All the rest are specialties of Emila Romagna

14 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Isn't mortadella a sausage?

Correct (and very good it is too). It comes in four sizes: 1 Kg, 10-15Kg, 30-100Kg and 100kg and over. As much as I love mortadella, even I would have a hard time making a dent in a 100kg Mortadella)

4 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Is it the parma ham having the pdo status ie it can only come from parma

The answer isn't what I was looking for, but you are correct in that Prosciutto di Parma can only come from the Parma area

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

My neighbour has a Lamborghini, he said it is an Audi really. 
There is a tractor factory in Basildon. Originally a Ford plant it is now New Holland. It has had various names over the years. 
Tony

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Triumph is the only one not to use a V engine .

I had a colleague when I worked at a computer centre. She did data entry and various tasks with the HP mini computer. Her first job after leaving school was as a switchboard operator at Triumph. One day someone asked her if she would mind posing for some product photos. It wasn’t the motorcycle company!

Tony

• Like 4
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, BokStein said:

As we seem to be in the game for quizzes and teasers, may I throw this into the ring:

How is James Bond, 007, linked to Romney Marsh in Kent?

Was not Ian Fleming involved with the 1930's sound detection system that preceded radar?

31 minutes ago, TheQ said:

1, is a short ladies underskirt..

though Shirt and Skirt are from the same original source word..

Correct, as worn by the witch Nannie (with nothing else) as she pursued Tam O'shanter across the Bridge of Doon. From the Robert Burns poem Tam O'shanter. Nannie is represented by the figurehead of the Cutty Sark.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

I have long understood that Lamborghini started making cars because h the succession of fr erraris he pwned all suffered various mechanical problems which he attributed to poor design.

As far as the motorcycles are concerned Harley Davidson is an odd one out because they have never won an Isle of Man TT Race - all the others have.   In the meanwhile back on the mainland household dessication continues - well the machine is chuntering away and the exhaust pipe is almost too warm to hang on to for more than a moment and it appears to contain no moisture (all dessicated before it reaches it perhaps?).  Another person is coming from the company to review progress early next week so no doubt the moisture meter will be here again and his verdict will be interesting to hear.  at least teh cats have now got used to stepping over the various pipes snaking around teh floor but the exhaust pipe going out through the cat flap does not seem to meet their approval.

Nice home made tomato soup for lunch was almost the final attack on that part of the tomato mountain which is ripe, the unripe/ripening section continues to inhabit teh kitchen windowsill.

enjoy the rest of your day one and all and I trust Dave might ease back his consumption of comfort food however hard that is to endure if it is cay using a bit of discomfort.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Romney Marsh ..... 007 was a bus route to the area!

When National Express coaches first rolled out their nationwide route numbering system, which replaced the random collection of numbers, letters and nothing inherited from its constituent companies, they began at the Thames working more or less clockwise.  001 was London - Canterbury - Thanet.  007 was the London - Folkestone - Hythe - New Romney coach.  It's all different now.  

Then there was the short-lived route 1066 just along the coast.  Short as in it ran at weekends during summer school holidays for one year only.  So on about 12 days.  Its purpose was to link Eastbourne and Rye with numerous locations (including Battle) having 1066 / Battle of Hastings connections.  Anyone who knows much about buses will know that 1066 cannot be displayed on the normal 3-track number blind.  The buses used displayed x66.  If you had worked out the days it actually ran, managed to fit your day around the timetable of two oddly-timed round trips and turned up at the bus stop expecting something saying 1066 then x66 might have added to the confusion.  

Needless to say it seldom saw a passenger owing to a combination of poor marketing, unattractive timings and only running on a very few days of the year.  

Bus trivia over.  Welcome to Thor's Day.  So far he is absent from the Hill of Strawberries.  Long may that continue.  

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

When National Express coaches first rolled out their nationwide route numbering system, which replaced the random collection of numbers, letters and nothing inherited from its constituent companies, they began at the Thames working more or less clockwise.  001 was London - Canterbury - Thanet.  007 was the London - Folkestone - Hythe - New Romney coach.  It's all different now.  

Then there was the short-lived route 1066 just along the coast.  Short as in it ran at weekends during summer school holidays for one year only.  So on about 12 days.  Its purpose was to link Eastbourne and Rye with numerous locations (including Battle) having 1066 / Battle of Hastings connections.  Anyone who knows much about buses will know that 1066 cannot be displayed on the normal 3-track number blind.  The buses used displayed x66.  If you had worked out the days it actually ran, managed to fit your day around the timetable of two oddly-timed round trips and turned up at the bus stop expecting something saying 1066 then x66 might have added to the confusion.  

Needless to say it seldom saw a passenger owing to a combination of poor marketing, unattractive timings and only running on a very few days of the year.  

Bus trivia over.  Welcome to Thor's Day.  So far he is absent from the Hill of Strawberries.  Long may that continue.  

Maybe the timetable should have said 'Buses running in this route will display the route number in Romano-Arabic form' ?

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

Maybe the timetable should have said 'Buses running in this route will display the route number in Romano-Arabic form' ?

1 minute ago, The Stationmaster said:

So good, you posted it twice, haha.:good:

• Funny 9