The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

pH: well done on getting the answers to 2 of my questions! The third answer, a very good one indeed (and also correct), is actually not the answer I was looking for. As you know a lot about motorcycles (certainly much, much more than me) can you guess what is the answer I was expecting for that question?

Well my 4th cup of coffee has been drunk, the brain is starting to engage gear, so it’s hi-ho, hi-ho, off to work I go.
Have a great day

iD

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Hesketh motorcycles were always known for having being referred to as sounding like 'two skeletons copulating in a dustbin', a modification of the quote presumably.  They had a reputation for being mechanically noisy engines.  Looked great, but....another heroic failure.

My local bike shop had six customers wanting them; Mr Hesketh told the shop "Minimum order is ten".  At £4995 IIRC - a lot of dosh in the early 80's.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning

Today I am wearing my Propeller Brewing (Halifax, Nova Scotia) T shirt. My auto T shirt slector chose it for me - it fell out of the wardrobe as I slid the door open:D

Expecitng a delivery of 40 paving slabs and quite a few bags of sand for relaying and extending the shed patio. This will allow an additional covered area for an external bar in the Summer and a plant storage area in the winter. it will also reduce the maonut of cigarette smoke that blows over the fence and under the canopy form the bloke who lives in one of the flats and goes outside for a smoke avery 20 minutes or so throughout the day every day. First task is to get them off the pavement once unloaded,  to the side of the front door then move them through the house ot the garden.

This afternoon it will be beer o'clock in a pub that has outside only seating so hopefully I have booked a gazebo incase it rains. certainly requested one.

• Like 19

Morning, we did have glorious sunshine, but the clouds now rolling in, need to go to the village up the road for SWMBO new prescription, she was due to see rheumatology, they changed that to a phone call, then she had some bloods done at the GP, now the GP has been told to up one of her tablets with no consultation at all, seems some folk are dodging work methinks.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

Good moaning all from the boring borough. Operation "potential redundancy" for SWMBO is underway. (just in case) I think we'll be fine for about 18 months if she does get the chop. Today is day 9 of quarantine. Cool and cloudy in these parts. Work continues. 

I've noticed we haven't heard from the Bishop for a long time. I hope he is well and just hibernating. The same applies to our correspondent in Minnesota. I hope he is ok and the basement from hell hasn't swallowed him up. 

Coffee ahoy. Enjoy the day. 

• Like 14
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well we both got up late this morning I think yesterday’s early start did for us both, but ho hum. This of course meant we both had a very late breakfast (only just finished it) and I’ll shortly head downstairs to the cellar and start putting bits back on the bathroom cabinet, when that’s done I’ll re-fit it on the wall, after which I can then put back the contents, which are currently on a bookcase in the back bedroom. 

The afternoon will probably be spent tidying up the paint brushes etc ready for the next job. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I have a couple of pub quiz questions but I think I may have posted them here before.

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good morning,

Glad to see that Dave Hunt is out on parole and scarfing down plates of sausage and chips (not exactly my idea of a celebratory meal, but whatever the reason for eating, sausage and chips - If done well- are one of the foods of the gods. And, by any standard, better than hospital food)

Congratulations to all of you who managed to answer most of my questions (And they were a damn sight easier than the Stationmaster’s I can tell you).

Now, to put you out of your misery; the answer to the question Who is the odd one out: Thomas Addison, J.S. Haldane, Charles Darwin, A.J. Cronin, Erasmus Darwin? The correct answer is AJ Cronin. Cronin qualified in medicine in Glasgow, all the rest qualified in medicine at Edinburgh.

As I don’t have too much to report on (I’m very busy with work at the present), I shall indulge in myself and pose some more brainteasers. So here they are going, more or less, from easy to hard.

• I have an Italian friend who is a farmer, he says he uses a Lamborghini to plough his fields. Is he telling a whopper?
  • Where would you find the instruction, Largo?
  • Which is the odd one out: Ducati, Norton, Moto Guzzi, Triumph, Harley Davidson?
  • The chromosomes that determine our biological gender are commonly known as the X and Y chromosomes. A normal female is XX and a normal male is XY. However, sometimes you do have an infant born with an alteration in the number and type of chromosomes. Which of the following is not a viable genetic mutation: XXX, XYY, XO, YO, XXXX?
  • What are CHOP, FOLFOX and FOLFIRI?
  • Which is the odd one out: Prosciutto di Parma, pizza, tagliatelle al ragù, mortadella, rosette, coppa?

Have fun over your morning sausage, bacon and eggs (assuming that you are upholding a proud British tradition of a cooked breakfast). Now off to finish my coffee before getting ready for a very long day at work.

Enjoy your Thursday

iD

I got the first two. The motorbikes, is it something to do with where they are made? The chromosomes the answer I think is XXXX. CHOP, FOLFOX and FOLFIRI are drugs used in chemotherapy. Mortadella is the odd one out, its a cheese the others are pasta.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, PhilJ W said:

I forgot my questions. 1) We all know of the Cutty Sark, the clipper ship preserved at Greenwich. The question is what is a cutty sark?  2) What is the most common metal found in the Earths crust?

1) I think it's some kind of Scottish shirt.

2) Vague memories from school, i think it's Aluminium.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

25 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I have a couple of pub quiz questions but I think I may have posted them here before.

I got the first two. The motorbikes, is it something to do with where they are made? Correct The chromosomes the answer I think is XXXX Wrong. CHOP, FOLFOX and FOLFIRI are drugs used in chemotherapy Correct, they are combinations of different types of chemotherapy in one regimen (e.g. CHOP Cyclophosphamide, Hydroxydaunorubicin [doxorubicin], Oncovin, Prednisone for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Mortadella is the odd one out, its a cheese the others are pasta. Very wrong

See above (red)

Cheers

iD

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

So it could easily be found when broken down again?  The AMF years.

Possibly, but she traded it in for one of the non Italian Harleys that were comfortable for shorter persons. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I would have thought YO but perhaps my understanding of chromosomes is out of date. 

Correct. All the other combinations (XXX, XYY, XO, XXXX) result in a viable foetus, albeit when born with significant disabilities and/or short lifespan. YO (just a Y chromosme alone) is non-viable but XO (Turner's syndrome) is viable, goes to term but results in an infant with numerous problems, including webbed neck, short stature and heart problems. So, as the ladies will be interested to learn, the X Chromosome is THE important one, wheras the poor old male (Y) chromosme needs quite a lot of support from its female counterpoint and can't make it own its (his?) own.

Who would have thought it? Mother Nature - Radical Feminist!

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1