The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Hesketh motorcycles were always known for having being referred to as sounding like 'two skeletons copulating in a dustbin', a modification of the quote presumably.  They had a reputation for being mechanically noisy engines.  Looked great, but....another heroic failure.

• Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Hope the Mri went ok Baz 

a'll the best to Tony s for his procedure my dad had it done a few years ago

Not much happening this end today

Should be in a few weeks..but it gets you 2 hours of sleep. This is voluntary..apparently I have been hand picked as a guinea pig...ooh err!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Likewise

Although how you would be able to sleep in the mri? It's like.been in a cement mixer with a couple of housebricks

Easy.. listen to classic fm on the headset..close eyes..bingo..

I can sleep anywhere. Used to fly to Heathrow from leeds on British Midland..get on flight. Belt in then...50 minutes later wake up , take belt off, exit plane..easy peasy..

Baz

• Like 16
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Is the answer to the question 're Bristol etc naval battle honours

Specifically for the Falklands 1982 and 1914

Well done and near enough.  The specific answer of course is the RN Battle Honour 'Falkland Islands'.  This was awarded to HM Ships Glasgow and Bristol in 1914 - both being the 6th vessel to have that name (allowing for cancellations before launch and renaminigs etc).  And the Battle Honour 'Falkland Islands' awarded to HM Ships Glasgow, Exeter, and Bristol in 1982 - HMS Exeter being the sixth RN vessel to have that name.  

There is slight distinction between the two because although the name of the Honour is the same it is suffixed by the year of the particular actions it relates to. so Bristol anfd Glosgow both got two and Exeter only got one

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

A visit from The Stationmaster?:laugh_mini2:

Wrong numbers Andy - that would amount to Glasgow 3, Bristol and Exeter 'too many to count remember'.  On the other hand if you were counting airports used it would be Glasgow 1 and the other two - nil. 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 3

Good morning,

Glad to see that Dave Hunt is out on parole and scarfing down plates of sausage and chips (not exactly my idea of a celebratory meal, but whatever the reason for eating, sausage and chips - If done well- are one of the foods of the gods. And, by any standard, better than hospital food)

Congratulations to all of you who managed to answer most of my questions (And they were a damn sight easier than the Stationmaster’s I can tell you).

Now, to put you out of your misery; the answer to the question Who is the odd one out: Thomas Addison, J.S. Haldane, Charles Darwin, A.J. Cronin, Erasmus Darwin? The correct answer is AJ Cronin. Cronin qualified in medicine in Glasgow, all the rest qualified in medicine at Edinburgh.

As I don’t have too much to report on (I’m very busy with work at the present), I shall indulge in myself and pose some more brainteasers. So here they are going, more or less, from easy to hard.

• I have an Italian friend who is a farmer, he says he uses a Lamborghini to plough his fields. Is he telling a whopper?
  • Where would you find the instruction, Largo?
  • Which is the odd one out: Ducati, Norton, Moto Guzzi, Triumph, Harley Davidson?
  • The chromosomes that determine our biological gender are commonly known as the X and Y chromosomes. A normal female is XX and a normal male is XY. However, sometimes you do have an infant born with an alteration in the number and type of chromosomes. Which of the following is not a viable genetic mutation: XXX, XYY, XO, YO, XXXX?
  • What are CHOP, FOLFOX and FOLFIRI?
  • Which is the odd one out: Prosciutto di Parma, pizza, tagliatelle al ragù, mortadella, rosette, coppa?

Have fun over your morning sausage, bacon and eggs (assuming that you are upholding a proud British tradition of a cooked breakfast). Now off to finish my coffee before getting ready for a very long day at work.

Enjoy your Thursday

iD

• Like 10

49 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:
  • I have an Italian friend who is a farmer, he says he uses a Lamborghini to plough his fields. Is he telling a whopper?

No, Lamborghini originally built tractors. (Alternatively, he is a rich eccentric.)

• Where would you find the instruction, Largo?

On sheet music.

• Which is the odd one out: Ducati, Norton, Moto Guzzi, Triumph, Harley Davidson?

Moto Guzzi - it's shaft drive. The others are chain drive.

Edited by pH
  • Like 12
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Her indoors was awake early so... I am awake early..pah!

Looks lije she is planning something..what is she only knows. It is her birthday soon..but no pension or bus pass this year.

I stand ready for a list of things to do.

Today I have a fair amount of catching up to do. Very little muddling has been done recently..mainly due to cricket. Another 4 weeks of that to go.

Enjoy your day,whatever you have to do. 

Positive thoughts to all Ers.

Baz

• Like 18