The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

After noon all. Have been forced in by rain. So it is now official that it is no longer overcast in North Manchester but rather raining.

On a different note whilst I was out I've had an update on Dave's surprise get well pressie and unfortunately it's not good news I'm afraid. 

It would appear that the transport manager for the helicopters - motto Lifts r us, has been relying upon Wikipedia to locate Dave's address in Hipposhire.

In addition it would also seem that someone has been messing with the local signage. I have my suspicions and a private investigator will be investigating once he arrives from France and has cleared quarantine.

Hopefully once the new AA road altas has been received they should be okay.

I'm certain Dave will be delighted with his gift and be able to spend hours playing with it when he has his weekly bath.

• Funny 11

Greetings all from Sidcup where there is a distinct autumnal feel to the air . 

Good to read of Dave's eventual escape.

Younger Lurker has gone to secondary school today. He just about held it together according to Mrs Lurker. The uniform looked massive on him but as the way of things it is likely to be just right before too long. She bumped into the mm of someone he used to be at nursery with - but of course they don't remember each other.

Work is going fairly slowly today but it is more interesting than yesterday's presentation by HR on the return to the office. Any question was greeted with "that's a very good question". And we started by each telling everyone how we felt and how we felt lockdown had gone. I wonder if the presence of the CEO on the call contributed to the positivity? i had had a call with him earlier where the IT did its customary "you're speaking to someone important so i am going to play up" thing, so i felt i could comment appropriately! Ah well, on with the grind!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:
  • Other than being authors, what do A.J. Cronin and Arthur Conan-Doyle have in common?

They were both born in Scotland, both were doctors, and both graduated from Scottish universities. (There are other commonalities, but I think that's enough to be going on with.)

Edit - I evidently missed a page in reading this topic, since I see that question has already been answered. I'll leave this here just for the comment in brackets - you can look it up.

Edited by pH
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Mention of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle interested me as I'm a great Sherlock Holmes fan. There is of course some glaring errors in some of the stories the best known one is in 'The Hound of the Baskervilles', If the dog had been coated in the particular chemical to make it glow in the dark the poor pooch would have died in agony. Also Dr. Watson got through three wives in very few years, very suspicious. A doctor getting through three wives over a short period ought to be investigated by Sherlock Holmes.:jester:

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

Match rearranged to become T20.  One completed..and it was chuckinitdarn..so stumps drawn...pah!

Her indoors has decided we are off out for some food later. Great!!

Brian I hope the results of your scan are good ones. I am off to have an MRI as the Cardiology Doctor has contacted me. I am about to be a guinea pig for a new treatment for diabetes to reduce the affect on diabetes on the heart muscles...and I might be getting a T Cell test...

Off to dry out

Baz

All the best for the MRI Baz, hope the results are good as well.

• Agree 15
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

I suppose that they could prove that Baz has a heart. Some unkind people have alleged otherwise.

Jamie

If it's a Heart of Gold, we need to know the chemical formula.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Bother. Forgot 86 204 City of Carlisle.

Or maybe @Stationmaster was overlooking the LNWR engines?

Having said that the question had nothing to do with railways, and then noting in two later posts that somebody was getting into the right area I can assure you that  The Stationmaster not only overlooked LNWR engines in respect of that question but also everybody else's engines.  Question - repeat - has nothing to do with railways, and that includes railway engines (and Carlisle)  :jester:

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Having said that the question had nothing to do with railways, and then noting in two later posts that somebody was getting into the right area I can assure you that  The Stationmaster not only overlooked LNWR engines in respect of that question but also everybody else's engines.  Question - repeat - has nothing to do with railways, and that includes railway engines (and Carlisle)  :jester:

Aha - I didn't read the question closely enough, or at least, all the follow-up posts. 

Other possibilities: canals? bishops?

Edited by Compound2632
Not bishops - religion was ruled out.
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Aha - I didn't read the question closely enough, or at least, all the follow-up posts. 

Other possibilities: canals? bishops?

Neither of those either (I had ruled out religion previously).  Ships of the Royal Navy received a mention and this was noted as heading in the right direction but of itself is not the answer to the question although it would help lead you to the answer.  A further clue was the 'sixth' but that would require a bit of delving to establish its significance.  aAs it happens the answer - although it has to be brought together with a bit of deeper research - is out there on the 'net a and even Wiki has the necessary accurate (for once) information to answer the question although in one case the exact wording on one of the Wiki pages is incorrect (I'm not saying in what way) in respect of the 'it'.

So both Bristol and Glasgow got one twice but Exeter only got one once.  What is it?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. A bit damp here this evening and a bit cooler. The last slice of bread pudding is waiting for some mugs of tea to wash it down. The bread pudding has done well to last three days. I won't last much longer as the kettle is on, be back later.

• Like 12

55 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Neither of those either (I had ruled out religion previously).  Ships of the Royal Navy received a mention and this was noted as heading in the right direction but of itself is not the answer to the question although it would help lead you to the answer.  A further clue was the 'sixth' but that would require a bit of delving to establish its significance.  aAs it happens the answer - although it has to be brought together with a bit of deeper research - is out there on the 'net a and even Wiki has the necessary accurate (for once) information to answer the question although in one case the exact wording on one of the Wiki pages is incorrect (I'm not saying in what way) in respect of the 'it'.

So both Bristol and Glasgow got one twice but Exeter only got one once.  What is it?

Earth Quakes?

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Chuckitdarn big time...

Walked outo to restaurant.  Excellent food and service!

Recommend the red wine

IMG-20200902-WA0000.jpeg.38a2d3b5c2b26eb65c30712ea79057c4.jpeg

Went well with our food..sardines for me then a mixed lamb/steak kebabs and...IMG-20200902-WA0006.jpeg.b939c439c467116056ce82697dbdf377.jpeg

And Irish Coffee..

@jamie92208

I do have a heart..it's made out of solid steel!!

Hope everything goes well Tony!

Baz

• Like 19