The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

My local CBT takes the booking online and it won't accept without a Licence number. Also at the test itself they do ask to see the licence.

Edited by TheQ
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just looked on line and had we had the licence I could have got it booked for this Saturday!

other than that there are plenty of slots available between now and the end of the month, we may just have to run him in for a few days until it’s all sorted 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Tried getting on here earlier..no luck.

Congrats to Dave Hunt, you will be hard pressed to see the vehicle in overwatch for you!

Happy birthday Tony ,

I am off out to umpire a Charity match so hopefully I will call back later

Baz

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Persisting down here, and then some.  Looks like I'll have to start tidying the garage, which I promised myself I'd start two weeks ago. Pah.

Jim, I don't think you can do CBT without the provisional.

Lets hope the various hospital visits go well today, and Dave stays out of them!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

LMS

6237 City of Bristol

6238 City of Carlisle

LNWR

2, 565 City of Carlisle

GWR

3435 / 3712 City of Bristol

3442 / 3719 City of Exeter

So, failure - City of Carlisle used three times, though the first LNWR use on Dreadnought 6ft 2-2-2-0 compound No. 2 of 1886 was after an ocean liner rather than the city - the whole class was named after transatlantic liners sailing from Liverpool, all named after cities. That whole block of city names was reused on a batch of Experiments built in Jan-Feb 1906, so I suppose No. 565 was also named after the liner rather than the city. 

Bother. Forgot 86 204 City of Carlisle.

Or maybe @Stationmaster was overlooking the LNWR engines?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, chrisf said:

A couple of days ago I asked what the connection was between “Dancing in the Street” by Martha and the Vandellas and “Amazing Grace” by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards.  Sadly no-one has even ventured a guess, much less submitted an answer.  The answer that I sought was Alan Freeman, who perceived rightly that both tracks should have been released as singles and played them on the radio week after week until the record companies capitulated.  Both enjoyed notable chart success.  Old Fluff sure knew his stuff.

Best wishes to all

Chris

I blame his producer but you are 100% correct that Fluff knew his stuff. 

Breakfast was toast with bacon and egg and my second mug of tea. Got to visit our local Co-op later to get two of their offers. 

Happy birthday Tony. 

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Good Morning All,

On the the subject of quiz type questions. Here's a few:

• Other than being authors, what do A.J. Cronin and Arthur Conan-Doyle have in common?
  •  

Finally

• Which metal is not used to treat malignancies: Gold, Platinum, Silver?

Have fun!

iD

p.s. Good luck, Brian

They were both doctors but I doubt that is the answer as its too easy. Gold and platinum are used in cancer treatments so the answer is silver, compounds of which are used in wound dressings for its anti-bacterial properties.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, big jim said:

Eldest lad had a trial in a butchers again yesterday and after 3 hours got a call to come and collect him, feared the worst but he said it went well, then got a call from the college and the butchers have agreed to take him on as an apprentice, he was sent home as the days work he was given to do, mincing and making burgers etc he did in the 3 hours he was there!

hes made up obviously as are we but the butchers is in kelsall near Chester which is a 12 mile trip each way which with me being on shifts and my wife having to get the younger one up for school means we won’t be able to take him there everyday, it’s not on a direct bus route from Crewe, he would have to get 2 buses at almost 2 hours or a train to Chester and bus back to kelsall at an hour and a quarter but it’s the cost of that 4 days a week that’s prohibitive 

My wife and I had discussed a few months back getting him his CBT so he could get a moped/motorbike If he got his work placement a distance away so we have gone down that route, only being 16 he is limited to 50cc/30mph which is a bit of a worry as the road to kelsall on the non 30/40 bits can be very heavy, id have preferred him to be able to have a 125/60mph machine to keep up with the traffic flow but so be it, nothing I can do to change the law!

we've seen a few Decent 50s though, looking about £1100 for a brand new one on the road with 5 yr warrantee, he has the money to buy it himself When he finds the one he likes, then of course he has to insure it, buy wet weather gear, fuel, helmet etc!

All our three went down the CBT, 50cc route at 16 and survived as they are now 40, 38 and 35.  No 2 commuted 15 miles in his first year without mishap and the other 2 both went on to get their full bike licences. Just one point about Insurance. When we helped them buy their Scooters there were deals where the insurance was included which made a big cost.  Good luck.

Jamie

• Like 14

Morning All from a, can't quite describe the weather let's say overcast, north Manchester.

Just on the way out to hang the washing and have received a message from someone enquiring about the tank. I've explained that they would have to collect it and been told that's not a problem as they run a chop shop so have access to plenty of cutting tools. It would appear that there's quite a demand for tank parts in the middle east. You learn something new everyday.

Now waiting on a call about where the heavy lift helicopters have got too. Last seen over Telford I'm told. Anyone know Dave's address? :P

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 13

Morning all

Birthday greetings to Tony

Chris f i would never had got that connection in a million years 

District nurse been my leg has finally started to heal.

My youngest starts back at school tomorrow. When i was younger the Bbc (spits) always stopped the summer holiday programmes the week before our schools went back. Glad to see they havent changed in their southern centric views.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

26 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

They were both doctors but I doubt that is the answer as its too easy. Gold and platinum are used in cancer treatments so the answer is silver, compounds of which are used in wound dressings for its anti-bacterial properties.

Correct on both accounts. Although to be pedantic, we would have to say Cronin and Conan-Doyle were Scottish doctors

Platinum forms the backbone of chemotherapies such as Cisplatin, Gold nanoparticles are an emerging anti-cancer therapy. There is no evidence of silver having any effect on malignancies,

Well done.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Do I win?

Err, No.

Although you had a partly correct answer: you can drink C2H5OH & dihydrogen monoxide with a little 2-hydroxypropane-1,2,3-tricarboxylic acid and a splash of (5-ethenyl-1-azabicyclo[2.2.2]octan-2-yl)-(6-methoxyquinolin-4-yl)methanol. But what is it?

Cheers

F

p.s. good to see you out of chokey!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Err, No.

Although you had a partly correct answer: you can drink C2H5OH & dihydrogen monoxide with a little 2-hydroxypropane-1,2,3-tricarboxylic acid and a splash of (5-ethenyl-1-azabicyclo[2.2.2]octan-2-yl)-(6-methoxyquinolin-4-yl)methanol. But what is it?

Cheers

F

p.s. good to see you out of chokey!

Whisky and soda?

Chris

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Correct on both accounts. Although to be pedantic, we would have to say Cronin and Conan-Doyle were Scottish doctors

Platinum forms the backbone of chemotherapies such as Cisplatin, Gold nanoparticles are an emerging anti-cancer therapy. There is no evidence of silver having any effect on malignancies,

Well done.

Is Addison the other odd one out because he is the only one with a disease or condition named after him

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Is Addison the other odd one out because he is the only one with a disease or condition named after him

but if you get  related two's name  as an award it's pretty terminal..

• Like 6
  • Agree 3