The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Somebody asked me if I use a Wacom tablet.

I replied, 'No - only aspirin', but what the heck is a Wacom tablet?

A graphics pad device for computers. Like Etch a Sketch but you draw on it, instead of twiddling knobs and the picture appears on your monitor.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all.

Clear blue skies here. I feel the siren call of the Moors or the Dales. A good walk is exactly what I need. Must remember to wear a hat to protect the bald bits.

Just a personal moan.

Some will be aware that my MiL has been pixilated for some years.

More recently it has taken a turn for the worse and she can be quite offensive.

She has been taken in by fraudsters telling her she has won £50,000 and has already sent off two lots of £20 to them.

She won't listen to the family, the police, the post office or anyone else on the matter.

Our first solution was for FiL to get to the post first and tear up any further letters.

It has now taken on aspects of a sitcom.

MiL puts a chair by the front door and waits for the postman.

FiL is also sitting in a chair by the front door in an effort to intercept the letters.

BiL who is concerned about his own genuine mail has taken to hovering there too.

It's funny but very sad.

I can get through to her but it is fraught with risk of sending her off into a tantrum.

... and they are two hours away.

End of moan.

• RMweb Gold

Funny but very sad just about sums it up DD.

Fortunately, at least I think its fortunate, we can visit MiL a couple of times a day, which she needs at the moment. Our latest game is to guess who she will think we are. Usually my wife ends up as one of her older sisters (all long gone) or her mother (even longer gone). The other day I was 'that man off the telly'. On other occassions though she is as bright as a button and fully aware.

Right, I'm off now for my walk.

Yes, BoD - our lives are peppered with examples of absurdity.

e.g.:

Margaret Thatcher drove by again yesterday to show MiL her new hat (again).

The Queen Mother often takes coffee at a (very shabby) beachfront caff.

Aircraft are purposely made with loud engines so passengers have to buy the earphones.

The conservatory next door was built so the neighbours could look in (it's barely visible).

Someone has been planting weeds in their garden.

The plumber stole her new shoes.

She is best thought of as a person with a big heart and generous nature - but unfortunately that person has gone.

Thunderous day yesterday. Under a Tornado Watch from 2:00pm until 8:00pm but lucky for us and unlucky for Massachusetts the tornadic T-Storms passed us by to the North. If you can watch the Tornado on video running up the river in Springfield - awesome sight unless your car was stuck on the bridge it went through. Unfortunately I can't find the video right now, but you can see the top surface of the river literally being vacuumed up.

Now we can expect a beautiful fresh, dry aired day. Only reaching 80f.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

......... but unfortunately that person has gone.

I've heard those words used about a few people recently.

They are some of the saddest words I have ever heard.

Guest Max Stafford

Thought I'd have a run out and spend some time at Carlisle station. Interesting few hours. BUT have just been to the model shop and spent more than I intended.

's

Yes. An ever present danger at Mike's, I'm afraid! :laugh:

I got away with a pair of Mk1s and three wagons this week!

"...Aircraft are purposely made with loud engines so passengers have to buy the earphones..."

Actually, I believe that one is true - the voices told me...

Boris- don't forget to put some clothes on before you go out.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Was going to go to the model shop in town and pick up a few bits for AGWI today, though I think I might leave it till the weekend as I still don't know how I'm going to make the aerial ropeway tower(s). I'll need to get some Plastruct pieces to make it of various cross sections, it's just working out what cross sections I need and the quantity I need.

I'm pleased to say I woke up at 8am this morning rather than my 11am yesterday!

Well I suppose I best get a bit of revision done at some point today after I spent the whole of yesterday (well half of it really considering when I surfaced!) on the diorama.

• RMweb Premium

MiL puts a chair by the front door and waits for the postman.

FiL is also sitting in a chair by the front door in an effort to intercept the letters.

BiL who is concerned about his own genuine mail has taken to hovering there too.

It's funny but very sad.

It is indeed, DD - I have been there - my mum had all sorts of similar traits once the marbles went. Looking on the funny side, if they waited for our postman, they'd be there for hours, as his arrival can vary between 09.00 and 15.30! LOL

Morning All

Yesterday developed into a manic day, so I was really pushed to check in. Managed to get the dog booked in for surgery tomorrow, and as a result, having to push at work for the time off, and all the phone calls to get things organised, I didn't have time to get much RMWeb online time.

It is now 100% certain that I will not be at the member's day next month, but I will be making a donation as a raffle prize once Andy has confirmed - watch this space.

Otherwise, Ihave caught up now on the nonsense comment on here, and am grateful that I don't have Gordon's mess to contend with - that patina of dust left by a builder gets everywhere, as I know..... It's a good idea to get any models with lots of fine detail under cover, or you'll be dusting with a soft brush for weeks.

BoD - last time I visited Carlisle, I visited 87027's shop, but somehow managed to get down the stairs without hitting the plastic - however, as I like to spread my custom around the model shops and also to support fellow RMWebbers, I am pretty sure that I'll be spending with Mike in the future....

Meantime,

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

It is one of the saddest things about ageing my MIL is beginning to go that way her Dad was the same, so determined to convince everyone that they are not senile that they are aggressive and argumentative.

• RMweb Premium

I am planning to head off into the Taunus for a spot of Geocaching.

Funny – we just returned from a walk there ourselves! :laugh:

A couple of impressions from the landscape...

dsc06206i.jpg

dsc06210x.jpg

dsc06214q.jpg

dsc06216.jpg

dsc06223vp.jpg

• RMweb Gold

..... so determined to convince everyone that they are not senile that they are aggressive and argumentative.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it....

• RMweb Gold

Playing Hide & Seek with a SatNav seems to be a little like cheating.

I'm sure people wouldn't be happy if I turned up with the sat-nav built into my car.

I think there may be something wrong with the GPS in my phone as it just tells me that "you are here". A post-it note could do that.

Tony

Afternoon All,

All this talk of loosing ones marbles is somewhat worrying. It was both of my Grandparents biggest worries - but neither of them did. They were both all there until the end, when their bodies gave out before their minds. One of my friends was less lucky - their mother would do similar things (putting shoes in the fridge and so on) it was an almost constant source of worry as they were not living all that near.

Where abouts did you go Dominik? I don't recognise the view in your third photo. We started out behind Dotzheim and then headed up to the Hohe Wurzel.

• RMweb Premium

Where abouts did you go Dominik? I don't recognise the view in your third photo. We started out behind Dotzheim and then headed up to the Hohe Wurzel.

We were near Großer Feldberg – I was looking roughly southeast when I took this photo.