The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The Gas Company we dealt with is one of Canada's largest and even has controversial pipelines in the U.S.

We now have a working vacuum cleaner again. Last week the central unit refused to shut off. It was taken away, had a circuit board replaced and was returned late this afternoon. 

At 6:00 there was a performance rehearsal by The Lady and the Gramps -- our local Dixieland group. Thunderstorm held off but I hear it's going through the north part f the county.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

Inner temple hare,

7 hours sleep with just two wake up and roll overs Yeah!!!

Local head lines..

Man scraped off scalp against bridge in Boating accident, fell to floor..!!!!!!

Translation...

Stood up too soon, hit his head on the bridge,  sat down rapidly, needed a few stitches.

Wife bravely took over control and managed to bring motorboat into moorings !!!... She's an experienced Motorboater,, it was no problem, a boat yard was 50ft away....

Inshore rescue boat crew called out!!   why? they were moored up by a boatyard, but at least they helped with first aid, till the ambulance turned up... from half the distance, the lifeboat travelled (by road).

oh and the paper got his age wrong..

Moral of the story,, don't believe everything you read..

Wife comments on the forum.. I'll let a certain dingbat tell the story.

How do I know this? he, the casualty, is a regular contributor to a Broads forum, now very embarrassed, was able to continue his holiday later that day..

Meanwhile 7 miles north by river , from site of the accident (Ludham Bridge), It's really hit the fan about the closure of Wayford bridge, 2nd November for 3 solid weeks for bridge repairs. The A149 is a major road, everyone is complaining about the closure.. The official diversions will be for miles. So from the wrong side of the bridge to the road to North walsham it's a 20 mile round trip to do 400 yards in distance.., Though locals will use some single track roads it's still going to be a major problem.

I'm waiting to see what the newspapers can get wrong about the closure..

In other news..

Very cool the forecast for Norwich was 5 C and being out in the countryside it's chillier. Scattered light cloud, a beautiful pink colour, lit by the sun hidden behind the sand dunes as I left for work.. 

Next door neighbour can't cope with her new camera, so I've printed out the full manual, just the English version, from a down load... 113 pages!!!

I see they are trumpeting the schools are back.. Not everywhere they aren't, Norfolk don't go back till next week, except for a those joining a new school, who may go in Thursday and or Friday..

I do look forward to it though, Effin clown town was packed, the boat yard car parks full, traffic jams both ways as cockwombles keep stopping the let the effin clowns cross the road, when there is a pedestrian crossing to use 100 foot away.. 

Big orange shed on the way home, tile cement and some wood paint of the fence variety required..

This has taken an hour ish to type between current measurements, about 2 more hours to go on that..

Time for another one...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

Today’s treat is a trip to Basildon Hospital for blood, Covid and MRSA swabs, which is an unusual birthday celebration.

ChrisF. Thank you for revealing the answer to your pop trivia quiz question. I would not have got that connection. 
It is sunny here but not that warm. 
Have a good day.

Tony

Happy Birthday Tony. Congrats on completing another solar orbit. Hopefully you have something better than a trip to Basildon planned for the rest of the day. 

• Agree 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Morning all.

Today’s treat is a trip to Basildon Hospital for blood, Covid and MRSA swabs, which is an unusual birthday celebration.

ChrisF. Thank you for revealing the answer to your pop trivia quiz question. I would not have got that connection. 
It is sunny here but not that warm. 
Have a good day.

Tony

Happy but not to stressful Birthday Tony.:good:

• Agree 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Happy birthday Tony, I'll give you a wave when you go to the hospital if it wasn't for a few houses in the way so here's one. :bye: At least here and in Southend the Covid cases are amongst the lowest in the country. Tea is waiting to be drunk, be back later.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning All,

That's a lovely garden, roundhouse, 'tis a pity that so-and-so Beeching got his hands on it. It very much looks like, on the left of the picture, that there is a small country station with all the tracks torn up! :o On the positive side, you could sell the defunct station to some gnomes or field mice who want a trendy "des res".

On the the subject of quiz type questions. Here's a few:

• Other than being authors, what do A.J. Cronin and Arthur Conan-Doyle have in common?
  • Who is the odd one out: Thomas Addison, J.S. Haldane, Charles Darwin, A.J. Cronin, Erasmus Darwin?
  • If you were offered C2H5OH & dihydrogen monoxide with a little 2-hydroxypropane-1,2,3-tricarboxylic acid and a splash of (5-ethenyl-1-azabicyclo[2.2.2]octan-2-yl)-(6-methoxyquinolin-4-yl)methanol, would you drink it? If yes, what would you be drinking?

Finally

• Which metal is not used to treat malignancies: Gold, Platinum, Silver?

Have fun!

iD

p.s. Good luck, Brian

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

When I first started working in the Uni Library (Nursing and Midwifery section, at the time), I was asked a few questions regarding literature searches to enable a new student nurse to write her essay on smoking and health.  Then came the question: Can you write the essay for me?  Thus you learn the desperation of the student thrust into the realms of academia.

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Allow me to introduce myself. I am your North Hipposhire correspondent who is right now a very happy bunny having been transported by Mrs. Bunny to his own snug burrow, fed a great big plate of sausage and chips, and tucked up for the night in his own comfy bed. It could take some time for the smile to wear off............

Goodnight one and all

Dave

May the smile be with you all day...at least!

11 hours ago, Simon G said:

Evening all,

After yesterday’s exertions in Miterdale, today it was Black Combe, which is effectively the most south westerly fell in the Lakes, overlooking Millom and the Irish Sea.  At 1970 feet, it isn’t officially a mountain by 30 feet, but it is still a good walk.  We made a circular walk out of it, which meant about 4 hours walking in total, and about 2500 total feet of ascent.  My level of knackeredness considerably exceeded yesterday’s!  On the way home, we tried to buy some Cumberland Sausage from Woodall’s in Waberthwaite, who arguably produce some of the best sausage in the county, but sadly they had closed when we got there.  I shall have to go to a local butcher instead for dinner tomorrow!

And going back a hundred years...

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

LMS

6237 City of Bristol

6238 City of Carlisle

LNWR

2, 565 City of Carlisle

GWR

3435 / 3712 City of Bristol

3442 / 3719 City of Exeter

So, failure - City of Carlisle used three times, though the first LNWR use on Dreadnought 6ft 2-2-2-0 compound No. 2 of 1886 was after an ocean liner rather than the city - the whole class was named after transatlantic liners sailing from Liverpool, all named after cities. That whole block of city names was reused on a batch of Experiments built in Jan-Feb 1906, so I suppose No. 565 was also named after the liner rather than the city. 

• Like 12
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Round here CBT's are now booking for November!!.. book quickly, use their bikes, the course is very heavy on a bikes clutch, even on an automatic..

we’re going to see our local CBT trainer later and if they are looking at the same timescale I’ll see if we can book it without actually having his licence to hand As we only applied for it on line yesterday 

• Like 10