The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Who worries about unmatched socks? Why? Its more embarrassing if you have to take your shoes off to reveal.....a hole in a sock....

Sunny but chilly here this morning. Supposed to be cool but dry all week. Yipppeeeddddooo!

Her indoors is off to score at a crickwt match marking 100 years of Wetherby League later today. As it is in Kippax I won't be attending. Nothing wrong with Kippax but I don't watch made up games.

Good win for England yesterday and Yorkshire won at a canter. Great!

Hope you can get everything you want to get done, done today..

Goodluck to Dave in the escape process.

Positive thoughts to all!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Chris,

Very strange that you are not getting diabetes appointments if you used to have reviews every 6 months. Without knowing all the circumstances, I would still advise that you ask your GP about it.

Certainly, you can't rely on them picking up anything from your cancer blood tests. They will only be looking for cancer symptoms.

I was almost certainly a diabetic for 30+ years before being officially diagnosed (and that only after self-diagnosis) but I had had other medical incidents in the meantime without medics spotting the diabetes. In light of how serious the side effects of diabetes can be, I believe that there should be routine screening for it of the whole population.

Oooh the NHS being proactive and saving lives and money. Controversial.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2

Good luck to dangerous Dave today. remember the Code word, ******* and you'll be fine. remember the white camoflage sheet, and look after your Helmet.:good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s a beautiful sunny day today, wait a minute, did I really say that, it’s a bank holiday Monday! Anyway I’ll be spending most of it in the cellar applying the first top coat on the bathroom cabinet, I’m hoping that one coat will be enough, but if not, then hopefully I’ll get the second one done after dinner. In between time I can carry on working on the doors, as they’ve only had one coat of primer so far. My goal is that by tomorrow I’ll have it all done and ready for putting back on the wall for Thursday. 

So far I’ve had no bad experiences with the NHS, when I was first diagnosed with cancer in 2012 the speed at which the team from various hospitals worked together was breathtaking. From first seeing my GP, who sent me for tests just to rule out something to starting treatment for cancer was less than 6 weeks! At the moment everything is being done from the same hospital and gain the speed is fast, from the results of a blood test less than 4 weeks ago I’ve had a bone scan, I’ll have a CT scan on Wednesday and will be seeing the consultant in just over weeks. However, if and when my GP practice, gets involved (this is aimed squarely at the management team, not the doctors) then I suspect it will all go pear shaped as they appear to be a complete bunch of incompetent halfwits who couldn’t organise the proverbial p!ss up in a brewery. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chrisf said:

Finally for today, a trivia question on pop music.  What is the connection between "Dancing in the streets" by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas and "Amazing Grace" by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards?

I don’t know but I am looking forward to finding out. I do hope you will tell us. Did anyone ever find out the answer to Mike Stationmasters puzzle about three something’s in one place, two in another etc?
Tony

• Like 13
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept this morning, only by about half an hour. That was due to the eczema driving me mad last night with the itching. Scratching only makes it worse but application of a damp flannel calmed it down enough for me to get some sleep. Not having seen any spiders for a while I had to remove a couple of large ones from the bath this morning and I've seen a couple of others scuttling around. I don't mind spiders, especially as there seems to have been a plague of moths recently that now seems to have disappeared. I consider the benefits of spiders outweigh any disadvantages. No news from Dave yet, hope that its a case of no news is good news.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Good morning Mr Hunt. I'm sorry about this old bean but I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to stand down. Turns out that idiot cousin of the memsab's has managed to make a hash of things- told the memsab we shouldn't have interfered with that blasted perisher thingabobs but she would have her way. Had a soft spot for him as she used to babysit him. Anyway damned fool only gone and got half his crew arrested. He decided to moor up for night, having made good time surfing that tidal bore thingy. So what does the nincompoop do but gives the crew shoreleave. Wouldn't have done that in my day but you know this younger generation want to be seen to looking after crew. Well you know seamen found a ruddy pub didn't they. Next thing you know Pc Plod (apologies to Jamie) turns up and arrests the lot of them- something to do with not wearing face masks and booking their tables in advance. Anyway got called logged with the chief constable, going to quote him Defence of the Realm Act etc once he gets back from the golf club.

So it's all up to Baz and his tank thingy. Last report I had was they were taking a short cut via Crewe. Message got a bit garbled after that as he kept saying something about trains. Anyway Derby I could understand but Crewe.

Toodal pip for now and keep your chin up old bean.

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Am I the only one on here with a Doctors surgery that knows what they're doing but also manage to administer it all correctly?

No John, in all the chaos of the last week the brightest spot was my GP surgery. From making a telephone call to them at about ten o'clock last Monday morning to having a telephone consultation with a GP followed by a face-to-face consultation and examination with said GP then being despatched to Telford hospital after the GP had spoken to the stroke team there was a matter of just two and a half hours. The problems have arisen since then. And since lock-down started we have had excellent service for repeat prescription ordering for me, Jill and my Dad, the latter having involved changing the address for delivery as he had come to live with us.

Dave

• Like 18

16 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Am I the only one on here with a Doctors surgery that knows what they're doing but also manage to administer it all correctly?

No.

My current GP ("the boy doctor", called that for reasons explained in another post, earlier) and my former GP - now a good friend - all have/had well running practices. In fact, my current GP not only can do routine bloodwork (up to and including basic biochemistry - results while you wait) but also has a mini-radiology suite for simple X-Rays (such as AP chest) - also results while you wait. Possibly what is different to GPs in the UK is that in Switzerland one can choose which GP to go to, so there is pressure to acquire and retain a good reputation, especially as a GP's patients - if happy - will recommend their GP to others (I once asked my GP friend why he put up with some very ghastly patients and he replied that it was to safeguard his reputation, to treat everyone well). I think a second advantage is that there's seems to be no obstacle to getting rid of incompetent practice staff (I noted, with one of my doctors, that a rather abrasive receptionist had a very short shelf-life at that practice).

TBH, I don't miss patient contact at all. Doing drug development in an large, well funded, company provided me the opportunity to travel the world (and in comfort), meet interesting people (and tell them what to do), eat great food :D and get paid for the pleasure.

As the cold, inevitable, embrace of the grave beckons, I look back and think - it hasn't been all bad....

And on that philosophical note I bid you a Good Afternoon.

iD

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

the cold, ...., embrace of the grave

Surely a man of influence and learning such as yourself could arrange a centrally-heated or air-conditioned facility?  :jester: 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 18

• RMweb Premium

Mowed the lawn, hoovered the Beast out.. what next? Parcels and lunch I believe.

My last email to the practice aka the Marie Celeste was responded too very quickly.. but they admitted they had been  a little slap dash in handling a repeat prescription.  My biggest problem is you are not allowed to talk to anyone unless it is a life threatening problem..

Looks like it must just be problems north of the Watford Gap..

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Mowed the lawn, hoovered the Beast out.. what next? Parcels and lunch I believe.

My last email to the practice aka the Marie Celeste was responded too very quickly.. but they admitted they had been  a little slap dash in handling a repeat prescription.  My biggest problem is you are not allowed to talk to anyone unless it is a life threatening problem..

Looks like it must just be problems north of the Watford Gap..

Baz

Not getting a prescription could be life threatening so I would have been on the phone to them. If they didn't like it I would point out that I am not a medical professional so I do not know if missing my prescription is life threatening and as they are the professionals I have to ask them!

Pleased to say my doctors are good and the reception staff friendly and helpful. Unlike when my family moved to the area in 1957 when the doctors were called "The Crazy Gang" by all the locals who went to the chemists to find out what was wrong with them and then went to the Crazy Gang and told them what to prescribe!

Edited by Chris116
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Not getting a prescription could be life threatening so I would have been on the phone to them. If they didn't like it I would point out that I am not a medical professional so I do not know if missing my prescription is life threatening and as they are the professionals I have to ask them!

I should have added that by "medical professional" I meant doctor not receptionist!

• Like 6
  • Funny 3