The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Obviousle the site needs a bigger electric meter.

Sunny here this morning 3 Covid affected games off today..had to ask to find out what was going on...pah!

Enjoy yout Day!

Baz

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dull, dismal, damp and decidedly draughty here.  More showers and the chance of some sunny spells.

You'd have thought that with the forum down for nearly 24 hours I'd have got quite a lot done.   You'd have thought wrong. 

Apart from a brief shopping trip to Sainsbury's nottalot happened yesterday.  However I did manage to finish off updating my cataloging  of small things with wheels, that only took about an hour.    I appear to have a lot more than I thought,  too much in fact!  Is that possible?

This morning I will be visiting The Shed and then from about 2.30 I'll be watching rugby,   Sale v Bristol today and that could be a good match.

Have a good one and keep safe,

Bob.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Great to see RMweb back up again even if its a bit slow. Central heating kicked in this morning it was that cold, and it seems its not going to get much warmer for a week at least. With the rain Arthur Itis is having a field day but a brace of paracetamol has put him in his place. Now time to run a bath, be back later. 

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Bon apres midi to you all.  The French version didn't wake up till after lunch today so many thanks to Andy Y for his efforts.

Thought with Rick and Sharon.  Not a nice situation  to be in. I hope that Sharon gets the help that she needs.

Not a lot happenning hear but the shed now beckons.

I also hope to here good news from Dave.

Jamie

• Like 15
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've just  sent Dave a text to let him know that normal service has been resumed.

He has asked my to be his proxy for the Swiss recuperation.

I didn't sent him this picture:

image.png.a42bdf336a380ffa9f0fe62ff17c0a70.png

His blood pressure and heart rate could go up rather more then the medical profession would like!

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 5 C said:

As for repurposed office blocks, Luton has far too many of those; marketed as "luxury studio flats" (a euphemism for bedsits). A large number have been bought up by London councils who use them to re-house people from their own boroughs, with all the social problems that brings. One particularly prominent office block always seems to have a police car parked outside.

Even in rural Dorset we had this problem. Southampton Council had bought up a number of houses on a new development on the edge of town. Typical new estate with no facilities. So what to you expect to happen when you take a single-parent family away from any support network that they have and move them to a completely unfamiliar location 50 miles away with no facilities? Poor mums pushing prams for over a mile as the bus service that was a planning condition for the 700 home (later extended to 900) has never been provided.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

Afternoon all,Greetings and salutations to one and all.

Its grand to be back online. Well i managed to get a couple of little jobs done yesterday afternoon with a little help from my boys. Now got some firewood for bonfire night just need to get it cut up and bagged and back in to dry storage for a couple of months. Stuff has been sorted for the tip and charity shop.the stuff for the tip will have to wait to go maybe i will get a skip and have a good clear out

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Glad to be back and running now, and with my Broadband currerntly running at about 15Mb/s and the new computer, it seems that things technology wise are looking up.  However, my BB supplier has offered fibre for the same price, and I have taken up the offer, as they are offering around 36Mb/s which seems to be a decent offer.  It will mean a new router again, but as this one, which I only had installed a few days ago, had dropped out a few times, and has needed the traditional switch it on and off solution to reboot it.

30747's niece came with us to Kendal this morning, and seemed to enjoy herself, so we dropped her in Lancaster so she could see how many closed down shops she can spot (which is loads with a couple more due to close next month, and both independents) - the latest is Argos, which closed for the pandemic, and had posters in the window saying it was closed temporarily, and which now has the windows blanked out and a sign saying this branch is now closed.

Generic greetings, and best wishes to RIck (again) for Sharon.

Got to go and pick up the wanderer now from Lancaster then some dinner.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I must have hit lucky and have replied 3 times in the afore mentioned 36 hours.

It's still very windy here and we've had had intermittent rain drizzle rain drizzle dry rain drizzle

The port corner fillet was fitted to the cockpit combing,  then the starboard side was sanded. 

Thence to the BBQ area,  an aerated block was adjusted... Mallet and chisel... 

Around 50,  6 inch white tiles were cleaned,  many of them had been sitting in the "might be useful" pile for thirty years since I redecorated the bath room in our previous house.  They still had some of the plaster that came off with them. 

The tiles were laid  out along with blue glass small tiles,  trying for a good fit and pattern. This was during  a dry spell, I managed to fix on the tiles around the BBQ shelf itself.  Then the heavens opened big time and everything thing got too wet to continue. 

So after an eyelid inspection in the mobile home,  when it stopped I returned  to the marquee,  and fitted the port side capping. 

After a wash and brush up,  I'm now on the sofa,  dinner is imminent,  however it was slightly delayed by one of the "rings" failing.  Since it's an all in one,  glass topped, hob, I guess its time to start looking for a replacement,  it's about 15 years old. 

Dinner will be accompanied by a glass of red.. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good afternoon all,

It looks like someone broke RMweb again – it was out practically all day yesterday. And whilst I don’t live on the forum, I do dip into it now and again during the day (a bit like dipping into a choice box of assorted handmade pralines and without the risk of coming across items that have already been “hippo tested“), so its absence was very notable.

...snip...

Stay safe, stay well, stay sane...

iD

I was having withdrawal symptoms and was somewhat disturbed this morning when RMweb still did not load. I even thought that it might be on my end; my ISP changed their billing date from the 22nd to the 3rd of the month without informing the customers or FireFox was having a hissyfit. I even tried Internet Exploder, still no dice. Many thanks to Andy for all of his efforts!

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Good afternoon all,

...snip...

Unfortunately, people’s anxieties - both great and small – are not helped at all by the chaotic and frequently hysterical tone of communications about the pandemic by the government and especially by the media.

...snip...

Stay safe, stay well, stay sane...

iD

"If it bleeds, it leads!" seems to be the media's motto over here!

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Isn't it nice to be back home ....  well done Andy and i hope he gets to enjoy at least part of his weekend.  Every time I've tried to get in over the past 30 odd hours the door has been firmly off the menu so it seems restoration or occasional access in teh meanwhile must have been a rather patchy, strange how this new(?) technology stuff does and doesn't work and amazing how carp service providers manage to stay in business.

In some respects I don't blame Rick's wife Sharon for being distrustful of the outside world when you see the selfish behaviour of far too many people out there to whom social distancing and masks seem to be something to be ignored rather than used.  but if she does build it up into a sort of phobia then she really needs professional help and I hope she will consider something.  But in some respects she isn't alone, today the lad and a couple of pals have made their way to Lewes for a  hydraulic experience (of the beer consumption kind, not the diseasal version) and when he gets home he will be stripped at the back door so his clothes go straight into the washing machine and he will be marched off for a shower.  sensible precaution at the best of times but as there is some sort of demo on there it becomes nearer an essential than precaution if the people taking part in that are in anything at all like the usual recent mode of anti-social misbehaviour at such events.

anyway back to the excitement of RMweb for a while and roast chicken for dinner tonight   Enjoy the rest of your day.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

It sounds like it's been a rough week for quite a few. I've not been able to look in for quite a few days, things haven't been too good here either, though not as bad as some of the other ERs - hope things get better asap for you all. 

It sure feels like autumn. I went out for a couple of hours in the garden and it was definitely woolly hat time. And digging felt like someone had been making industrial quantities of lumpy brown porridge and then tipping it all over the soil. Not really surprising, given the chuckitdarns Friday, sometimes the rain was drumming on our home-office's dormer so loudly it was interfering with phone calls. The forecast is better (for us) over the next few days, though tomorrow will still be a fleece and woolly hat for gardening. I'm trying to finish some work in time to get the autumn seeds in, ready for next year. Oh, and not have the place looking like a builder's yard. With a little luck, that's the last of the urgent/essential work to do round the house. 

Hopefully I might even :unsure_mini: ... get chance to do some modelling. One very overdue project is the plan for the next few days. I'm just praying I don't have any more crises dropped in my lap. I don't want to be greedy about such things, it might be my turn for one occasionally but I don't want more than my share. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
On 27/08/2020 at 13:47, J. S. Bach said:

...snip... Thirdly, I went out to start it to go to Gene's for my Thursday corned beef & cabbage lunch and it was totally dead, so I jumped it and went on my way. When I came out from lunch (very tasty, btw), it was dead again! My thoughts when I got home were leaning towards having to buy a new battery. I had forgotten to bring in the jump-starter and when I went out to get it, I noticed that the brake lights were on. Ah hah, well I will just pull the wires off the brake light switch; uh, no go, the lights stayed on :( ? A call to my mechanic's garage and I will take it in tomorrow first thing. Hmmm, a new battery just might have been cheaper!

It turned out to be a broken switch, at least the plastic part that actuates the switch; the mechanic knew right away what was wrong and replaced plastic part with a metal bolt; total cost was $10.00! :yahoo_mini: My breakfast cost a little more. :biggrin_mini:

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Dull but dry here today and not much sign of the winds promised, just the cold, as the central heating thermostat will confirm, its kicked in a couple of times today. Great to hear from Dave and I hope the progress continues. A real WTF moment when I read this:-

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/thousands-anti-lockdown-protesters-gather-22597555?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&fbclid=IwAR1oelFEZqDiyCeMl343Z5AGb56fgCNa8swi4HeLQeXiwvrBxm0l8fZtZ9o

Whatever planet they're from we should send them back ASAP.

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3